Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah I guess that is why they will never make an Enterprise class, as it always seems to be the best ship of the class, what ever it may be. If I was designing an -F Enterprise, I would name it Enterprise clas though.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Of course the main ship in any of the main Trek shows and films is called USS Enterprise, but over the course of 300 years, there really hasn't been an Enterprise class per se! There is some small debate that the refit Constitution was nick named the Enterprise class (as it should have been since it really was a whole new ship) but there has not been really a true Enterprise class! Now, perhaps with this Enterprise-F contest going on, that class could be called the Enterprise class?
Well again, "traditionally" the starship name/ class name relationship goes as follows.

Experimental stage - U.S.S. Excelsior - NX-2000
Approved Production Starship Class - U.S.S. Excelsior - NCC-2000 (Excelsior Class)

Traditionally, the first ship in a class, is the ship whose experimental design "proves" the class is viable. This is the testbed, or "first" ship of the given class. And the ship is given the NX designation until approved, when it is redesignated as NCC. (Transitioning from a Naval Experiment to a Naval Construction Contract)

So, for example.. the USS Constitution (NCC-1700 btw), can be conjectured to have, at some point, held the designation "NX-1700". Once the Experimental status was resolved, and the contract approved, the NX-1700 would be re-designated NCC-1700, with the Enterprise having followed in production as the first ship of the class built "to class specifications" from the keel up.

Where this leaves the "NX" class.. I can't say. the Enterprise series did indeed play a bit fast and loose with canon.. and I think that's what made it as good a show as it was. The TNG episode "Relics" established that as of the 1701-D, there had been "Five Federation Ships with that name".

NCC-1701 (destroyed near the Genesis Planet)
NCC-1701-A (decommissioned)
NCC-1701-B (fate not-established in canon)
NCC-1701-C (destroyed at Narendra III)
NCC-1701-D (later destroyed at Veridian III)

That means that either the "NX-01" Enterprise was not considered "A Starship" or else it was not considered "A Federation Starship". Or possibly they just hadn't conceived of a prequel series featuring a ship before the 1701 at the time Relics was made. (this unlikely explanation might also explain the ship's absence from the "Enterprise' historical images in the Rec Room shown in the motion picture.)

The fact is, that while we may like to justify these things with contrived reasoning.. it was just a TV show. And the TV show said that the ship class to which the NX-01 (Not U.S.S.) Enterprise belonged, was the "NX Class". Perhaps this suggests that there was a prototype vessel.. a ship, built purely as a proving mechanism.. as the ship's systems were designed. And perhaps the "Earth Star Fleet" simply referred to it as the "NX".. and perhaps once the NX's design was finalized, they felt it easier to build a new ship to the finalized specifications, as the "First Starfleet Vessel", Thus creating a 1700->1701.. when they went from NX->NX-01. And perhaps the missing "NX" ship was retired to testing and systems development duties.. so they had something to test and develop newer systems with, once Enterprise returned.

Or perhaps the creators of "Enterprise" (the series) weren't too concerned with the established pattern of naming ships and classes.. and by the time they got around to naming "the class of those new old ships" they couldn't think of anything good that wasn't already taken, and just called it "The NX Class".

Heck.. maybe we're all wrong and we've just been mis-understanding what they were calling the class.. and somewhere in the "Enterprise" universe is a NX-00 "Ennex".. that wasn't fully mission-ready by the time that the NX-01 Enterprise was launched.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix

That means that either the "NX-01" Enterprise was not considered "A Starship" or else it was not considered "A Federation Starship".
Or possibly they just hadn't conceived of a prequel series featuring a ship before the 1701 at the time Relics was made. (this unlikely explanation might also explain the ship's absence from the "Enterprise' historical images in the Rec Room shown in the motion picture.)
I can actually clarify this, the NX-01 was considered a spaceship. In most of the initial outgoing messages that Archer made to another vessel or planet, he would say United Earth Spaceship Enterprise. (correct me if I am wrong)

Also during this Era it is pre federation, we didnt even hear United Federation of Planets til season 3 or 4, cant remember now.

Thats all I got.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreannaSkye View Post
I can actually clarify this, the NX-01 was considered a spaceship. In most of the initial outgoing messages that Archer made to another vessel or planet, he would say United Earth Spaceship Enterprise. (correct me if I am wrong)

Also during this Era it is pre federation, we didnt even hear United Federation of Planets til season 3 or 4, cant remember now.

Thats all I got.
Actually, Daniels told Archer about the Federation in the first season, in the episode Cold Front. But it was still a ways off from happening and he just referred to it as "a Federation of many worlds."

And the NX was indeed referred to as a starship, not a spaceship.
I've been watching season one of ENT all week.

Memory Alpha write up.

Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
if you read any of the technical manuals the motion picture refit was actually called the Enterprise Class

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...hip-design.php

Correct me if am wrong but in that same link it called the Miranda Class, Avenger Class. So if am right i wouldn't put to much stock in to that site and if its from a technincal manual, into that either

As for why no Enterprise class, not sure always wonder that, but think it mostly due to the fact that the Enterprise has been the Flag Ship of Star Fleet for who knows how long, pretty sure, instead of allowing it to be a test bed, and possible failed experiment, they rather give that name to a ship from the newest and best class they have.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2011, 02:06 AM
the enterprise is never the fisrt ship in the class the first ship of the class is alway the name of the class ie galaxy class the first ship is called the uss galaxy not enterprise and so on the nx o1 are for prototypes ships only
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
after he donated the front half of the ship to the Remans.
*claps*

lol