Lt. Commander
Virtually every single planet I set foot on, virtually every single system I warp to... I gunna find me sum anomuleez.

I've been told I want to start collecting them now, in abundance because I'll thank myself later on despite the fact that I'm beginning to loathe my job as waveform inspektor #27.

Here's whatcha do... make them relatively rare, but give more... and a chance to spawn a negative consequence when you DO stumble upon them. Have any of you guys actually WATCHED Star Trek... Anomalies almost ALWAYS mean some horrible thing is about to happen. Further, don't make it so darned obvious... sometimes the readings should be unclear.

Shortlist of things that could happen from anomalies:

1. Pirates/Raiders beam/warp in.

2. Random crewman (or the entire ship) is struck with debilitating illness (debuff) which follows crew down to away missions. Science Officer proficiency/rank shortens the duration.

3. Entity appears, demands answers to trivia/morality questions with answers that are occasionally random or nonsensical and failure results in injury to starship or crew.

4. Alternate Universe You shows up, intent on your destruction.

5. Crisis Of Infinite Minigames... even more than the wave form minigame, these minigames would result in catastrophe in the event of failure.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
These anomalies are used for crafting therefore it wouldn't make much sense for anything negative to come from them.

What you are talking about would be better for missions and the "anomaly" that would have to be scanned isn't something that would be used for crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I agree with your point on minigames somewhat. There should be different versions depending on the tier/type of anomoly and there might be a failure consequence (where atm you always get the basic amount).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Moving this to the feedback forum where we review suggestions.

We understand that everyone has their opinions about how crafting will work, and your ideas will be considered when we review anomalies in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
The idea isn't that they're dangerous anomolies but that they're traces of particles or technology or biological samples.
You use those as crafting materials to make something awesome.

What you see in game is not the large space anomalies that Star Trek does but "random stuff you find that's interesting".
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
It just so happens that i'm watching TNG again and yesterday i watched an Episode where they found an Anomaly "a hole in space" ...they flew near it and were sucked in only so that the redshirt (that suddenly did sit in the place where Wesley Crusher was sitting just a few minutes ago) can be killed by yet another omnipotent beeing with a purple Face... "Nagilum"

Title: Where Silence Has Lease

And i said to myself... you know THAT is stuff that should happen, at least randomly, when i scan those anomalys.

Right now it is the same as collecting a lootdrop.... plus a minigame that is as challenging as pressing F...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Cryptic for the love of all that is holy don't implement the OP's idea, it will make gathering anomaly's more depressing and repetitive and boring...

Let me paint the scenario, player captain is on a gather data samples run, gets sucked into the OP's anomaly side mission idea, player thinks "ohh brilliant", hits the abort mission button and drops the mission and carries on with the data sample hunt.

It is an ok idea in theory, but in practice it will just turn out to be a highly repetitive, tedious bore. There can only be so many variations of the "anomaly side quest" missions. It would end up just like the way the exploration zone missions are, tedious and boring.

All it will do will add more loading screens and boring crap which will become tedious very quickly...

The way the data samples are just now is ok, it takes a fair while to gather the reds to build the schematics and to gather the color and type of samples to build what your after... please dont make a tedious task more tedious !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2011, 08:09 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Moving this to the feedback forum where we review suggestions.

We understand that everyone has their opinions about how crafting will work, and your ideas will be considered when we review anomalies in the future.

And frankly Dstahl, I don't give a damn about crafting, it's the LOOT MECHANIC that I think is awful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
It just so happens that i'm watching TNG again and yesterday i watched an Episode where they found an Anomaly "a hole in space" ...they flew near it and were sucked in only so that the redshirt (that suddenly did sit in the place where Wesley Crusher was sitting just a few minutes ago) can be killed by yet another omnipotent beeing with a purple Face... "Nagilum"

Title: Where Silence Has Lease

And i said to myself... you know THAT is stuff that should happen, at least randomly, when i scan those anomalys.

Right now it is the same as collecting a lootdrop.... plus a minigame that is as challenging as pressing F...
Yeah but that would make a mission inside a mission. Not something the system can handle.

Just make a foundry mission with something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
And frankly Dstahl, I don't give a damn about crafting, it's the LOOT MECHANIC that I think is awful.
Loot and MMOs go hand in hand. I don't think there's an MMO anywhere that doesn't have loot.