Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
ZO.... MY GAWSH!!!!!

I just NEVER thought that by introducing the chance that something different might happen that the entire thing would become even MORE boring than the current mechanic!

It simply never dawned on me!

Here, here! I call on the Devs to immediately implement "Meehee's Theory of Game Design" and reduce the game to giant gray cubes floating in a black background. Such cubes shall be restricted to going up as being able to also go down would simply be too boring.

Man... GEE TEE EFF OH MY LORD. Where do you find someone like this guy?
Your just upset because i never liked your idea...

haw haw i made you angry.....

hee hee i got to you...i got to you !!!!

Ohh and im from scotland
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Virtually every single planet I set foot on, virtually every single system I warp to... I gunna find me sum anomuleez.

I've been told I want to start collecting them now, in abundance because I'll thank myself later on despite the fact that I'm beginning to loathe my job as waveform inspektor #27.

Here's whatcha do... make them relatively rare, but give more... and a chance to spawn a negative consequence when you DO stumble upon them. Have any of you guys actually WATCHED Star Trek... Anomalies almost ALWAYS mean some horrible thing is about to happen. Further, don't make it so darned obvious... sometimes the readings should be unclear.

Shortlist of things that could happen from anomalies:

1. Pirates/Raiders beam/warp in.

2. Random crewman (or the entire ship) is struck with debilitating illness (debuff) which follows crew down to away missions. Science Officer proficiency/rank shortens the duration.

3. Entity appears, demands answers to trivia/morality questions with answers that are occasionally random or nonsensical and failure results in injury to starship or crew.

4. Alternate Universe You shows up, intent on your destruction.

5. Crisis Of Infinite Minigames... even more than the wave form minigame, these minigames would result in catastrophe in the event of failure.

Is there not enough fighting in this game all ready without making more, A lot of people like crafting don't ruin it for everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Guys... we're not talking actual "mission within mission".

We're talking a debuff, an NPC, or a different type of minigame.... not an entirely different mission.

That's ALL the tech would have to accommodate. The anomaly, when scanned would bring up a dialog window other than the one we have currently. This window would result in either an NPC spawn that'd ask you questions and zap you, an NPC hat'd show up and fight you, or would just flat out zap you (with a debuff... or a minigame with a failure that'd result in a catastrophic debuff. I made it intentionally simplistic for that very reason.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:

We're talking a debuff, an NPC, or a different type of minigame.... not an entirely different mission.

That's ALL the tech would have to accommodate. The anomaly, when scanned would bring up a dialog window other than the one we have currently. This window would result in either an NPC spawn that'd ask you questions and zap you, an NPC hat'd show up and fight you, or would just flat out zap you (with a debuff... or a minigame with a failure that'd result in a catastrophic debuff. I made it intentionally simplistic for that very reason.
Soooo...

Why would we do it then?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:

Don't get me wrong like i said your idea is interesting, but it would have be like "finding those breen capitalship" level of rare to keep from becoming annoying...

As you know to get a decent stock of anomaly's you have to do a hell of a lot of scanning and could you imagine triggering a random anomaly encounter on a regular basis... If you have ground the exploration clusters you yourself should know how annoying and soul destroying those cookie cutter "randomly generated" missions are...

Your idea though as interesting as it is would become just like the soulless exploration cookie cutter missions which makes most of us vice admirals groan in disspare !
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Moving this to the feedback forum where we review suggestions.

We understand that everyone has their opinions about how crafting will work, and your ideas will be considered when we review anomalies in the future.
If you plan to maintain the Crafting as it is, or possibly improve it in some way, then the Idea of the OP should probably be given some other approach to the Scan option. Additional Mission Criteria to be imbedded behind some Scan function would be a good idea, but if it detracts from the Crafting capabilities, then it is a poor trade off.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Clearly I'm not being understood.... so here goes...

1. Anomalies become more rare, but the rewards they provide are increased. I bop into a mission and hit the V key and one in five or six zones actually has an anomaly, but now that anomaly provides five to six times more crafting materials.

2. The majority of anomalies still produce the current wave form mechanic perhaps one in seven would produce the "other" effect.

3. That other effect would result in the spawn of a group of enemies, a long lasting debuff, a special NPC that pops on your screen ala a hail, or a different kind of minigame. These would result in an increased change of finding a rare crafting material.

Any questions?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-07-2011, 02:45 AM
The problem I see with this is that the point of anomalies aren't to make things more complicated or dangerous, they are there for those of use who want to take the time to look for them to craft with. That's it. The only reason there is the mini-game making gathering them more than a single button affair is because we asked them to add it.

By all means make missions based around the large scale anomalies like the Tyken's Rift or the energy draining minefield or the freaky alien in "Where Silence Has Lease." They just shouldn't be linked to the crafting materials simply because they share the word anomaly. The two things are not at all the same. One is a massive life-threatening event for the whole ship, the other is a bit of shiny that catches the captain's attention with some interesting data.

In any case, I can't really get behind making them harder to get, partly because I like the idea that the universe is just full of these fascinating tidbits, and partly because farming for traces takes long enough as it is. Not to mention the fact that the way exploration clusters currently work is intrinsically tied to roughly half of the nodes being anomalies and the rest missions.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-07-2011, 08:07 AM
How about a new class of daily? R&D missions handed out at Memory Alpha and Qo'noS, that upon completion give you 10 R&D points (maybe 10 more if you complete an optional) and at the end give you maybe a couple of dozen anomalies as a reward. Maybe divide the dailies into three types (though you only get one a day, lets not make things too easy now) that give a certain type of anomaly (physical, energy or technological) and let you choose what level (not exceeding your own) of anomaly you get rewarded with.

Possible missions include rescuing the crew of a crashed survey ship (I was wondering if it'd be possible to create a map covered in a health hazard with only a limited number of pockets where that health hazard doesn't reach. Throw in some tricorder interference, maybe some clues and regular anomalies within the affected area, and perhaps a hostile lower lifeform or two and it won't all be so straightforward anymore as your regular scan and tag assignment.) for physical/biological samples, locating, disabling and boarding a Klingon bird of prey that just raided a convoy in Pi Canis for technological data, and perhaps something puzzle heavy one for the energy samples (Modify the shields on an asteroid colony to block out a previously unknown type of radiation, then get back on your ship and study it?) though my concern with puzzles is by the second time you do them, you remember all the answers.

Also, while they're remastering episodes, maybe some R&D optionals can make it into them as well.

And this just occurred to me, I know I suggested these dailies give you anomaly samples, but another way to go would be R&D tokens/marks, that can be redeemed to unlock unique schematics. (As is, we can all make the exact same things. There's nothing two R&D guys can do than one can't. Now come the crew system, some variation might occur, but this here still seems like a good addition.) Think highly specialized stuff, designed to be used or protect against certain types of enemies like the Borg gear. Usable as quest rewards as well. (At least lower level ones. I wouldn't assign levels to the tokens though. One type fits all. Maybe just make the higher level blueprints more expensive. It's less clutter that way.)

Now I know the point was a means to get samples and this kind of backpedals from that, but the solution is simple. Right next to the unique schematics vendor, put another one that accepts the same tokens and exchanges them for say 10 anomalies of your choosing a piece.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
i think a good compromise is to set up a seperate kind of anomoly system. i like the idea in general... but random encounters ALWAYS being a fight with romulans or hyrogen or whatever is getting boring. it's supposed to be RANDOM. and anomolies usually happen in deep space not around planets and stars and stuff. but i suppose some do. so these different anomolies could pop up in sector space and give us a bit of trouble. and please don't make it another fight... make it a puzzle or something that we have to figure out in some way. but not this repetative waveform stuff... i like the waveform cause it offers a little challenge to try and get more stuff. but that model wouldn't work for this.