Lt. Commander
# 1 Featured Episode Series FAQ
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
The STO development team is proud to present our next series of Feature Episodes.

What is so special about Feature Episodes? How are they different than normal missions?
A big difference between Feature Episodes and normal missions is that they are intended to be played as a 5 episode mini-series. Each episode in the series is part of a specific story arc with a beginning and end. Many times feature episodes introduce new aliens, features, or other surprises that have not be seen in the game yet. While Feature Episodes are structurally not that different than normal missions, and can be played in a relatively short period of time, we think you'll find something special about these stories.

What time do the episodes begin?
During the series, a new episode will become available to play when we flip the switch and turn it on. This usually happens by 11am Pacific on Saturdays. Some players are able to eagerly await the switch and start the episode prior to 11 as we tend to flip the switch early in case something goes awry, and in some cases we have gone over our target 11am time if something needed to be addressed. So be aware.

Where do I go to start the episode?
This varies by series, but for the most part you must go to the location listed on the Feature Episode page and talk to the specified contact to begin. For the Cloaked Intentions series, we are planning to allow players to start missions via remote contacts in Sector Space. So for Feb 5th's episode if you are a Fed, look for a mission from Admiral T'nae and if you are KDF, look for a mission from Temek. The mission will be called "The Vault"

What level or faction do I need to be in order to play the episode?
Feature Episodes can be played by both Federation and Klingon faction characters that are at least level 6. The Breen series is the only exception which requires players to be level 10.

Are there different ways to complete an episode?
While most episodes have a set start and ending, there can be objectives during the mission which can be completed different ways. Sometimes these objectives can be based on your class, and sometimes it can be based on skills you might have (such as Diplomacy).

Can all optional objectives be completed?
Not all objectives can be completed by each individual player. Some optional objectives require a character of a specific class. If you have a team that has a science, engineer, and tactical character, you can usually complete all optional objectives through your class diversity.

Are there special accolades for Feature Episodes?
Yes. Most feature episodes have unique accolades that tie into objectives which can be completed during the mission. If you miss some accolades, we plan to hook up episode replay so that you can retry the mission to obtain them.

Can I replay Feature Episodes?
Yes. Once the series is complete, we will put the episodes into the Episode Replay computer on your starship's bridge so that you may replay them as often as you'd like.

Why do I need a shuttle for the first episode?
The first episode in Series 3 requires you to fly a shuttle on the mission (the reasons will be explained at the start of the episode). If you attempt to go to the mission location and enter in your normal Starship, you will not be able to enter. We are requiring the use of a shuttle on this specific mission as a way to introduce new types of gameplay to Star Trek Online. Other missions in the series will not require a shuttle.

I went to the Haakona system, but it wouldn't let me start the mission?
You must talk to the representative of your faction who gives you your shuttle first (for example DeSoto if you are a Fed). Check your mission objective text for The Vault if you missed this step. If you attempt to enter the Vault area in your normal Starship, it will not allow the transfer.

I've heard that I can get a free shuttle and ship slot?
In the event that you mioght not have a shuttlecraft at the start of the Vault episode, you will be offered a token which can be redeemed at ship requisitions for a basic shuttlecraft as well as a free ship slot token. Not all shuttlecraft are equal, so if you have purchased a Runabout or Delta Flyer class shuttle, you will want to fly those instead. We plan to introduce new types of shuttles and fighters as well as other small craft in future updates.

What else can I do in my shuttle?
For now, you can fly your shuttle anywhere you could normally take your starship. Some missions in the future will require the use of a shuttle, and we are working on additional gameplay mechanics that also require you to be in a small craft (such as special types of crafting research).

What is a special limited-time series reward?
While every episode gives out a cool reward at the end, players who are able to complete all 5 episodes in the series arc will receive a special limited-time offer reward. This reward is only available to characters who have completed all episodes and like all other mission rewards in the game is not an account unlock. You generally will have at least 2 weeks after the last episode in a feature series premiers to claim the limited time reward. After that, the reward offer goes away until the series goes into re-runs in the future. You do not need to do anything special to claim this reward. While available, it will be given out at the end of the 5th episode in the series as part of the reward items. Note that you can always claim individual episode rewards no matter when you do the feature episode series.

I've heard that I'll be able to craft the Delta Flyer soon. Is that true?
Yes. We plan to introduce an alternate way to gain the Delta Flyer and any other C-Store shuttlecraft via a crafting mission which will require you to complete daily crafting missions over a period of time. This mission will be introduced before the last episode of the Cloaked Intention series premiers. In the meantime, if you can't wait, you can purchase the Delta Flyer from the C-Store for 400 Atari Tokens.

Can Federation characters team up with Klingon characters for Feature Episodes?
Not at this time. We are looking into the possibility of allowing this for future series, but for now, the teams must obey the wartime rules of no-cross faction teaming.

How long do typical episode take to complete?
Most individual episodes are designed to be completed in under 30 minutes by casual players. Not all episodes have the same amount of length as some can have more objectives than others. In addition, some episodes have various ways to complete objectives based on your class and this can add or subtract time to the mission based on which objectives you attempt.

Are Feature Episodes only available for a limited time?
No. Once an episode premiers, it becomes a permanent part of the game from that point forward and can be played at any point from then on by any qualifying character. However, the limited-time special reward is only available if you complete all 5 episodes within the initial release. These limited-time special rewards are removed from the series about 2 weeks after the last episode premiers. Note that individual episodes will always have their standard rewards, even if the limited-time reward is expired.

Will there be a chance to earn limited-time rewards I missed?
Yes. We plan to introduce feature series re-run weeks which will allow players to play all 5 episodes and re-earn the special limited time rewards. We are also considering the option of putting limited-time awards in the c-store at some point after the series has run its course.

I was playing the Vault mission when I was booted from the game?
Please monitor the announcements section for possible downtimes and to keep up to date on any performance or gameplay related issues.

If you have further questions - please post and we'll do our best to answer.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Woah thats a lot of good info. Thanks for writing all that down for reference Daniel.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I agree, great stuff! I'm also glad to see cross-faction missions are a possibility in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
one question. in trek, shuttles were regarded as support craft, with limited range. they either had no warp capabilities, or had limited warp capability. runabouts and larger shuttles seemed to have a more full warp capability, allowing them to be used as long range support craft. are restrictions to smaller shuttles, such as "cannot go past a certain range outside the mother-ship without losing power (or of that nature) something you could consider later down the road? it just seems it would look silly having all those shuttles flying around everywhere in sector space.. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5 racing in the delta
02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info I am one who could not wait I love the delta flyer now all we need are some racing pvp missions that would be grand
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I've heard that I can get a free shuttle?
If you do not have a shuttlecraft at the start of the Vault episode, you will be offered a token which can be redeemed at ship requisitions for a basic shuttlecraft. Not all shuttlecraft are equal, so if you have purchased a Runabout or Delta Flyer class shuttle, you will want to fly those instead. We plan to introduce new types of shuttles and fighters as well as other small craft in future updates.
This concerns me for the KDF side of the game. Mainly because the KDF won't get a shuttle better then the freebie. I already purcahsed the Delta Flyer, but what about there being an alternate Shuttle variant for the Klingons that already purcahsed the Delta Flyer for this or future missions? Or will you release something along those lines in the future for the KDF for the possible future missions that will require shuttle play in the future?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
This concerns me for the KDF side of the game. Mainly because the KDF won't get a shuttle better then the freebie. I already purcahsed the Delta Flyer, but what about there being an alternate Shuttle variant for the Klingons that already purcahsed the Delta Flyer for this or future missions? Or will you release something along those lines in the future for the KDF for the possible future missions that will require shuttle play in the future?
The KDF is getting their own line of small craft.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Quick question. You say the runabout can be used for these shuttlecraft missions, is there any thought into lowering the runabout restriction of the rank of Captain now that this change is causing it to be more useful than just a token ship?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Woot! I can't wait.

Thanks for all the great info dstahl!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sineris View Post
Quick question. You say the runabout can be used for these shuttlecraft missions, is there any thought into lowering the runabout restriction of the rank of Captain now that this change is causing it to be more useful than just a token ship?
there is no restriction on the runabout. you can get one the first thing after the tutorial if you have the energy credits and fly to ds9.
Closed Thread