Lt. Commander
# 1 New ESD and Drydocks
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
So after logging on Feb 2, I noticed that Cryptic had gotten rid of all the drydocks around the station.

I am confused on why Starfleet wouldn't want more drydocks for more ships being built to aid in the war with the Klingons. Makes no sense to me why we would be shown less production in a time of war.

And seeing that this ESD is smaller I don't see how "ships will be built inside" excuse can work.

Can someone [ a Dev possibly? ] shed some light on this.....or why the new ESD is 2x smaller than the original one we had from launch?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
So after logging on Feb 2, I noticed that Cryptic had gotten rid of all the drydocks around the station.

I am confused on why Starfleet wouldn't want more drydocks for more ships being built to aid in the war with the Klingons. Makes no sense to me why we would be shown less production in a time of war.

And seeing that this ESD is smaller I don't see how "ships will be built inside" excuse can work.

Can someone [ a Dev possibly? ] shed some light on this.....or why the new ESD is 2x smaller than the original one we had from launch?
Ships are not built at ESD, they are built at Utopia Planitia shipyard at Mars, and the repair docks are over at the other station now, to the left of zone in. http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Utopia_...ia_Fleet_Yards
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Ship construction and repair in Earth orbit is also handled by Earth Station McKinley.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Earth_Station_McKinley
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post

Its not smaller have you flown close to it and seen the scale it doesnt seem to be smaller at all to me. Its freakin massive. Anyways like others said its not meant to have ships built in it. Thats what the San Francisco Fleet yards, Earth Station McKinley, and Utopia Planitia are for. Plus there are other shipyards in the Federation as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy74656 View Post
Its not smaller have you flown close to it and seen the scale it doesnt seem to be smaller at all to me. Its freakin massive. Anyways like others said its not meant to have ships built in it. Thats what the San Francisco Fleet yards, Earth Station McKinley, and Utopia Planitia are for. Plus there are other shipyards in the Federation as well.
I think it's about half of the diameter of the old space station, actually.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I think it's about half of the diameter of the old space station, actually.
Definintely not, the Mushroom of the new one is probably 40% bigger.

The old station had a lot of beams and glowy things and pods and such, but the core of the station itself was much smaller
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
As others have said, ships were not built at ESD, but at Utopia Planitia. Ship construction for Starfleet also took place at:
  • Copernicus Shipyards orbitting Luna
  • 40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards
  • Antares Shipyards in the Bajor Sector
  • Beta Antares Ship Yards in the Antares sector
  • Oakland Fleet Yards- location unknown-Alternate timeline
  • San Fransisco Fleet Yards- in geosynchronous orbit over San Francisco
  • Tranquility Base- also on Luna
  • Baikonur Cosmodrome- a modern day USSR shipyard in Kazakhstan that was still in existence in the 24th century

I also seem to recall a mentioning of a shipyard in geosynchronous orbit over Newport News, Virginia, though I can't seem to find any information on Memory Alpha. Must have been from a non-canon licensed work.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
As others have said, ships were not built at ESD, but at Utopia Planitia. Ship construction for Starfleet also took place at:
  • Copernicus Shipyards orbitting Luna
  • 40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards
  • Antares Shipyards in the Bajor Sector
  • Beta Antares Ship Yards in the Antares sector
  • Oakland Fleet Yards- location unknown-Alternate timeline
  • San Fransisco Fleet Yards- in geosynchronous orbit over San Francisco
  • Tranquility Base- also on Luna
  • Baikonur Cosmodrome- a modern day USSR shipyard in Kazakhstan that was still in existence in the 24th century

I also seem to recall a mentioning of a shipyard in geosynchronous orbit over Newport News, Virginia, though I can't seem to find any information on Memory Alpha. Must have been from a non-canon licensed work.
I'd say it's safe to speculate that a few of the Earth-based locations may have been ground-based facilities. Shuttlecraft are part of Starfleet, too. Oakland could easily be for constructing shuttlecraft. Of the orbital ones, I had assumed the San Francisco yard (originally seen in TMP) was the single drydock. Not necessarily a cluster of them as Utopia Planitia (Mars) displays. I suggest taking the clustered ones at Earth and spread them to different orbits.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
I'd say it's safe to speculate that a few of the Earth-based locations may have been ground-based facilities. Shuttlecraft are part of Starfleet, too. Oakland could easily be for constructing shuttlecraft. Of the orbital ones, I had assumed the San Francisco yard (originally seen in TMP) was the single drydock. Not necessarily a cluster of them as Utopia Planitia (Mars) displays. I suggest taking the clustered ones at Earth and spread them to different orbits.
I'd say that sounds about right. I believe the vessel mentioned as being created at the Oakland Shipyards was a shuttle. So it was likely a ground facility in Oakland, across the bay from San Francisco. There was only 1 drydock seen in TMP at the San Francisco Fleet Yards, though are presumably more. As far as the Luna ones go, Tranquility Base was likely a ground facility where ships were partially constructed before being sent up to the Copernicus Shipyard, which was likely a very small operation.

I like your idea of spreading out the drydocks and placing a few in orbit over certain cities.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I certainly hope Jupiter Station is present at some point. The thing is massive and is the central R&D and construction centers of the Federation.

In my opinion, THIS needs to be expanded and made the Federation crafting hub. Memory Alpha makes no sense as its a library. It would be odd to walk into a library and see research scientists and engineers tinkering with experimental cars or aircraft (as awesome as it would be).

But seriously - Jupiter station is the perfect canon location for crafting and shipyards, so why not use this? I sure hope Cryptic havent overlooked it. I would love to go into orbit and approach such a sprawling monster. The size of 8 ESD's!!!

Linkage for win.