Lt. Commander
# 1 I was afraid of this
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
I can say without a doubt that the majority of our manpower is going into Feature Episodes - which are playable at any level and give emblems as rewards for max level players. Our next series starts Saturday Feb 5 - so hopefully you'll find something interesting to play there.

Currently - improvements to PVP and STF is scheduled for Season 5. Later this year we also plan to introduce a higher level cap and content to go with it.
danial stahl wrote that in a recent thread.

Are you kidding me? Majority of the team working on feature episodes? So the entire team for 3 months working on 5 "1 hour" pieces of content....I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am.

You should have the majority of the team working on features which will give the player base what they want and endless replayability. PVP end game(territory war) . Fleet starbases. Exploration. Removing sector "doors"
Interior functionality, you know? "Go down to your shuttle bay and get in your shuttle and launch from your ship?"

But instead you have nearly all of your team working on "episodes" where in the end, the only good thing about that is how many people will go WOW oh that was awesome yeah great!

You should have a couple working on episodes and the rest developing the content that will secure this game for the future. Unless you think its going to survive on 5 episodes every 3 months.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
We already have PvP Territory Wars (Capture and Hold PvP matches), exploration, (I.E.: Delta Volanis Cluster, Arucanis Arm sector, ect.), and interior functionality (trophies), though not in the level you're describing. Also, Fleet Starbases would seem a little strange, if you all technically belong to the same fleet. I think what you mean is MORE starbases, but the ability for fleets to anchor smaller bases like the ones orbiting ESD to act as fleet co-ordination hubs. Also, your idea for Fleet Starbases is sounding a LOT like EVE Online's Player Operated Stations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Woot, rant! anyway, for me the series are the best part of STO, so i dont mind that much. That doesnt mean they r dropping everything else, there's a ground combat revamp coming and after that exploration (wich should have come first but hey! ) im sure that the episodes after this will come faster then this one, wich took like ... 2 months? to create?

Its not as black n white as you interpret it. Dont worry !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post

Are you kidding me? Majority of the team working on feature episodes? So the entire team for 3 months working on 5 "1 hour" pieces of content....I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am.

You should have the majority of the team working on features which will give the player base what they want and endless replayability. PVP end game(territory war) . Fleet starbases. Exploration. Removing sector "doors"
Interior functionality, you know? "Go down to your shuttle bay and get in your shuttle and launch from your ship?"

But instead you have nearly all of your team working on "episodes" where in the end, the only good thing about that is how many people will go WOW oh that was awesome yeah great!

You should have a couple working on episodes and the rest developing the content that will secure this game for the future. Unless you think its going to survive on 5 episodes every 3 months.
if you are so upset over the issue, why dont you apply for a job there and offer your business savy and redirect them better to your liking.

funny thing is, you can go to WoW if you so choose. Just dont let the turbolift doors....(well you know the rest)...

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post

Seriously, read things in CONTEXT.

He's talking about their CONTENT TEAM. Their CONTENT TEAM's manpower is going into featured episodes.

Did you miss the huge season patch we got not too long ago, or the patch we got less than a week ago with a bunch of stuff too?

They've been utterly upfront about the schedule: Big updates every 3-4 months with features and big changes, with the featured series and smaller bites of stuff inbetween.

There is no surprise, and nothing to be outraged over.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Content designers only create content. PvP issues would be handled by the programmers. So understand that what you want fixed is not handled by those who are making content. Plus, the first two series were a test to see if we liked it. I don't know if they even had series 3 started when the Devidian series ended. Plus they were working on the new ESD.

Once Foundry comes out the programmers should have more time to work on other things. But right now they are busy with that and redoing the ground combat functions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricO
Woot, rant! anyway, for me the series are the best part of STO, so i dont mind that much. That doesnt mean they r dropping everything else, there's a ground combat revamp coming and after that exploration (wich should have come first but hey! ) im sure that the episodes after this will come faster then this one, wich took like ... 2 months? to create?

Its not as black n white as you interpret it. Dont worry !!!!!
Plus, assets developed in Feature Episodes are good for everything else. It's not like the work done here stops at the 30 minutes of content per mission.

More assets means more diverse exploration when they revamp it. It means a richer Foundry. It means Romulans can have a broader starting point as a faction. It means time spent developing new mechanics that will improve future STFs.

Featured Missions are the soil in which the crops for other projects grow, though. That's what it means.

And I support that. Because if something bombs (an asset, a mechanic, an item type) in a Featured Episode, it's easier to correct in that single implementation before you propagate it out through the game.

Say we hate the Romulan interiors and they're buggy with AI. If it's an issue in a weekly, they can fix it there first. If they propagate it through 800 exploration maps and an STF less than 5% of players play, it will take months to fix each implementation of it. That isn't to say there won't be some presence of the new asset added to STFs or exploration. But the cat is out of the bag once it's in that kind of content and getting the resources to fix that many implementations is herculean.

Featured Episodes act as a nice blueprint for everything else in a state that can be more readily fine tuned.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
The weeklies represents a short term fix for those who have been here for a while, although the bursts of creativity and innovation that goes into them, can be applied to similar content in the long term. That, and they stick around after they have been made, adding to the total sum of all content.

It's not like someone like me would rather see work on the Romulan faction, and wait everything else out, but that would be somewhat... ahhh.. selfish is the word. Besides, a short term fix helps to grease the long term wheels. Hopefully. It's a matter of patience, a bit of miracle working, and clairvoyance... :p

---
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
We already have PvP Territory Wars (Capture and Hold PvP matches), exploration, (I.E.: Delta Volanis Cluster, Arucanis Arm sector, ect.), and interior functionality (trophies), though not in the level you're describing. Also, Fleet Starbases would seem a little strange, if you all technically belong to the same fleet. I think what you mean is MORE starbases, but the ability for fleets to anchor smaller bases like the ones orbiting ESD to act as fleet co-ordination hubs. Also, your idea for Fleet Starbases is sounding a LOT like EVE Online's Player Operated Stations.

All i can say is , dont do drugs and alcohol when posting on forums.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
please read his words in context. he is not saying thats all they are doing. that is the bulk of the episode content . there is still plenty of other stuff in the works.

the usual set of patrols, new klingon sorties, remastered episodes, the foundry, continued updating of the foundry, spot light episodes of those they deem worthy enough, more ships, more costumes, the territory war, the improvements to ground combat, the duty officer system, qo'nos updates, possible a third faction by the end of the year, improved pvp, a daily crating mission and god know what else is all down to be done.