Lt. Commander
# 31
02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
The huge major motion picture conglomerate started as a small independent film company....

what people want is for Cryptic to grow with our growing demands......you need more devs,period.
Will you pay 30 dollars a month for your sub?

The money to HIRE those devs has to come from somewhere.

Right now, they have an income of XXXXXX from subscrptions, box sales, and C-Store sales.

Atari is a public company, so they have to make so much "profit" to keep the investors happy, or the company dies, so take a certain amount off of the top for dividends.

The game has a BUDGET, which allows them to hire X amount of people and spend Y amount on server upkeep, promotion, and other such things.

Unless you know of a Money Fairy, they can't risk hiring 25 more devs and then HOPE that those devs improve the game enough to cause enough people to buy the game and subscribe in order to earn back the money that it costs to pay the salaries of those 25 devs.

What they CAN DO:

Improve the game with the team they have. As it improves (as it has, DRASTICALLY, over the last year) more people return, the income of the game goes up, and they can hire more people.

Thats how it works. It can't happen backwards.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Ah.
So how can I help you get enough funding to expand hard and get more people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Purchase everything you can from the C-Store, always. Get your friends and fleet mates to do the same... Start a second or third account and do the same... Start a successful venture capital company and invest multiple millions/billions in Cryptic... Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
C-store, sub recruiting/referrals, etc..

I'm doing my part!
While I'm sure subing and the C-store help. I can't help but wonder how much goes to STO and how much goes to Atari or the Cryptic umbrella? I'd love to see the STO team grow, but don't forget there is an Neverwinter OMG in the works already too and I'm sure that needs funding as well.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Pro-tip:
  • There are more content developers at Cryptic than there were at launch (anyone remember that Chaddington and Jheinig weren't always doing content?)
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
While I'm sure subing and the C-store help. I can't help but wonder how much goes to STO and how much goes to Atari or the Cryptic umbrella? I'd love to see the STO team grow, but don't forget there is an Neverwinter OMG in the works already too and I'm sure that needs funding as well.
Im pretty sure that, assuming C-S profits do go back into the studio, which it logically should, it would be percentage based. So STO probably gets back the same proportion of the profits, regardless of the current profit margin. Unless its even better than that, and all of the C-S profit goes back into STO. I doubt its the other way round, that it all goes into Atari.

Unless the last case is true, then any more C-S purchases is a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
What do you mean? I'm simply pointing out the facts for everyone who is like-minded of the OP. We have territory wars, and ship functionality, and the idea of parts of Starfleet or the KDF owning privated Starbases is preposterous! You can't seperate a navy like that! Also, it is the exact same thing they do in EVE with Player Operated Stations, and Player Owned Corportations, except the POCs and POSs there actually make sense with the role the player is given.
Cap & Hold is NOT territory wars, in the sense the OP means. Something more like several PvP zones, like Ker'rat or Otha, that determine the ownership of that sector (Fed or Klingon). Like Siren's Call in CoH.

Fleet starbases are also not at all like POS in EVE. Those are tied into a player controlled territory. While that would be cool, it probably won't happen, but fleets should still have their own social areas. They wouldn't be "privately owned" as far as the story goes, they'd just be the main base of operations for that fleet. Think supergroup bases in CoH.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
--snip --
What they CAN DO:

Improve the game with the team they have. As it improves (as it has, DRASTICALLY, over the last year) more people return, the income of the game goes up, and they can hire more people.

Correct - we have a set headcount that increases slowly as our operating budget increases which is based on income and revenue. So yes, as the game has grown, so has the team, but we can't magically double in size because we wouldn't be able to pay salaries on a month to month basis. We have to operate withing our cash operating budget.

As others have pointed out, we have slowly focused the team on as many content devs as possible and have also created the Foundry which will help as well. We understand players want tons more content, and we'll get there.

But yes - Cryptic has far less than 200 employees whereas a bioware has 800 or so (well at least according to wikipedia)
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Correct - we have a set headcount that increases slowly as our operating budget increases which is based on income and revenue. So yes, as the game has grown, so has the team, but we can't magically double in size because we wouldn't be able to pay salaries on a month to month basis. We have to operate withing our cash operating budget.

As others have pointed out, we have slowly focused the team on as many content devs as possible and have also created the Foundry which will help as well. We understand players want tons more content, and we'll get there.

But yes - Cryptic has far less than 200 employees whereas a bioware has 800 or so (well at least according to wikipedia)
I admire Cryptic's courage then, taking on something as large as Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
just curious, does anyone know exactly how many people cryptic has working on this game, and how big or small a budget they have?and how experianced they are, like do they hire a bunch of students, or a few old timers with lots of exp? would like to know
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-05-2011, 01:17 PM
If all you give are complaints, then what sort of motivation does that give you to try and make the best game possible. These Devs need our support and congratulations on delivering a game that's grown so much from where it started from.

Yes the problems are incredibly frustrating, but the Devs are not telepathic or seers. They cannot see into the future to know that they would have a problem that required a certain skill. They have limited prediction bound by the laws of finance and physics. It's good that we have caused undue stress on the servers, it means that STO is a bit more successful than they anticipated. This is a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Will you pay 30 dollars a month for your sub?

The money to HIRE those devs has to come from somewhere.

Right now, they have an income of XXXXXX from subscrptions, box sales, and C-Store sales.

Atari is a public company, so they have to make so much "profit" to keep the investors happy, or the company dies, so take a certain amount off of the top for dividends.

The game has a BUDGET, which allows them to hire X amount of people and spend Y amount on server upkeep, promotion, and other such things.

Unless you know of a Money Fairy, they can't risk hiring 25 more devs and then HOPE that those devs improve the game enough to cause enough people to buy the game and subscribe in order to earn back the money that it costs to pay the salaries of those 25 devs.

What they CAN DO:

I think I pay enough as it is.....in fact,I already pay more than you.....everything I get from Cryptic is slapped with an extra 20% tax.

So yes....more players = more money = more devs. But also.....lack of content = less players = less money = devs get fired = less content = less players = etc.
I can play that game too.

And who said anything about 25 devs? With a team this small,2 to 4 devs would make a big difference.