Lt. Commander
# 41
02-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
I think I pay enough as it is.....in fact,I already pay more than you.....everything I get from Cryptic is slapped with an extra 20% tax.

So yes....more players = more money = more devs. But also.....lack of content = less players = less money = devs get fired = less content = less players = etc.
I can play that game too.

And who said anything about 25 devs? With a team this small,2 to 4 devs would make a big difference.
They've increased content developer size since launch.

Jheinig and Chaddington (who played played no small part in the weekly series so far) weren't on the game as content devs at launch. Jheinig was hired after Season 2; Chaddington got promoted from Q/A to content around that time too.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
I think I pay enough as it is.....in fact,I already pay more than you.....everything I get from Cryptic is slapped with an extra 20% tax.

So yes....more players = more money = more devs. But also.....lack of content = less players = less money = devs get fired = less content = less players = etc.
I can play that game too.

And who said anything about 25 devs? With a team this small,2 to 4 devs would make a big difference.
1 or 100, the money HAS TO BE THERE.

You think Dan is sitting there in his office... "You know, we could hire 4 more people...... Naaaahhhhhh, we don't need em."

They hire who they can. He's an expert in the field with years of experience. You're a guy on the forums who has no knowledge of their financial system, team structure, or schedule.

And for Gene's sake, I HOPE you know that extra 20% VAT doesn't go to Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Gentlemen, Gentlemen:

It's three little Fonzies time and what was Fonzie like?

Lt. Commander
# 44
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Gentlemen, Gentlemen:

It's three little Fonzies time and what was Fonzie like?

Yeah, I dunno what you're looking for there, sorry.

Anyway I'm good. You're right, the teams growing, and if we keep growing, probably will again.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
just curious, does anyone know exactly how many people cryptic has working on this game, and how big or small a budget they have?and how experianced they are, like do they hire a bunch of students, or a few old timers with lots of exp? would like to know
Last I heard, Cryptic's team was very small but it's hard to get an exact figure because their tech and infrastructure people float between games.

In terms of core personnel just doing Trek, I think I heard that Blizzard has around 20 times as many people working on WoW.

I used to follow things on LinkedIn and I still browse job postings with Cryptic. It's rare for them to hire someone who hasn't shipped two games. They currently have:

The creator of the Fallout RPG system (jeheinig) on content design.
The creator of Simlish from the Sims games.
The creator of City of Heroes.

I believe they're generally looking for people with background in MMOs, shooters, and fighting games.

Less experienced people in gaming tend to start in marketing, QA, community management, and graphic design, with portfolio/resume to support they can do the job and generally a degree. Most of their employees seem to come from Cryptic's City of... team, ********, the Lego games, etc. Most have some background in console games, FPS, and MMO.

I think Dan Stahl comes to us from Magic the Gathering Online. He's a board game designer and old community rep. Jesse Heinig is the Fallout guy and he was head over the pen and paper Star Trek RPG from Decipher. One of the development producers was the producer for Dark Forces and Jedi Starfighter.

The designs Cryptic bought up from Perpetual when they took over were by the senior concept designer for The Old Republic and the lead at Ubisoft. The Cryptic designs for Earth Spacedock and Memory Alpha were done by an ILM artist who worked on Pirates of the Carribean. The senior concept guy was an artist from Warhammer Online. Not sure who is where now as art teams tend to change more after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Will you pay 30 dollars a month for your sub?

The money to HIRE those devs has to come from somewhere.

Right now, they have an income of XXXXXX from subscrptions, box sales, and C-Store sales.

Atari is a public company, so they have to make so much "profit" to keep the investors happy, or the company dies, so take a certain amount off of the top for dividends.

The game has a BUDGET, which allows them to hire X amount of people and spend Y amount on server upkeep, promotion, and other such things.

Unless you know of a Money Fairy, they can't risk hiring 25 more devs and then HOPE that those devs improve the game enough to cause enough people to buy the game and subscribe in order to earn back the money that it costs to pay the salaries of those 25 devs.

What they CAN DO:

Improve the game with the team they have. As it improves (as it has, DRASTICALLY, over the last year) more people return, the income of the game goes up, and they can hire more people.

Thats how it works. It can't happen backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Correct - we have a set headcount that increases slowly as our operating budget increases which is based on income and revenue. So yes, as the game has grown, so has the team, but we can't magically double in size because we wouldn't be able to pay salaries on a month to month basis. We have to operate withing our cash operating budget.

As others have pointed out, we have slowly focused the team on as many content devs as possible and have also created the Foundry which will help as well. We understand players want tons more content, and we'll get there.

But yes - Cryptic has far less than 200 employees whereas a bioware has 800 or so (well at least according to wikipedia)
This is something I've long suspected, and I have to say, Stahl... you are my hero! To accomplish what you have in the short time you've been EP is outstanding and the STO team should be proud. To everyone else whining & complaining: If you don't like it, don't play; if you DO like it and just want the bugs fixed, then refer more people to play so STO gets the $ it needs to hire more devs & GET the bugs fixed! And please, don't compare Cryptic's work with Bioware's; if Bioware was working with the same # or devs and the same resources, they'd be right on par with STO. Both companies and both dev teams have awesome people working hard for what they love, and these guys are busting their buts for this game and us fans. That's what really matters, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
just curious, does anyone know exactly how many people cryptic has working on this game, and how big or small a budget they have?and how experianced they are, like do they hire a bunch of students, or a few old timers with lots of exp? would like to know
Well he said less than 200 in all of Cryptic so if you assume that it's got office staff, managers, ect... I'd say they probably have 100 people on STO and Champions combined. So maybe... 70 people on all of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Well he said less than 200 in all of Cryptic so if you assume that it's got office staff, managers, ect... I'd say they probably have 100 people on STO and Champions combined. So maybe... 70 people on all of STO.
There's also a team for Neverwinter and a 4th unannounced game. Of course, the teams won't all be equal size because they're in different states of development.

In short, we don't know, and companies tend not to openly talk about it (because nothing positive can happen from it, and they have rules regarding informational release due to being part of a public company they must abide by.)
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Keep in mind a lot of the folks like Coderanger work multiple games.

I'd say the STO team is considerably smaller than that Like maybe half that. It's hard to make a fair comparison because the support staff, marketing, code, and others are working on multiple games.

I suspect STO's core staff is basically a few administrative people like Stahl, Kestrel - the story guru, a few artists with differing specialties, a few content designers (that number has gone up). The place where growth will happen is in content design and I can see The Foundry toolset opening up more jobs for warm bodies there in all Cryptic games as it will require fewer and fewer expensive, specialized folks and will open up more and more to just plain writers with some solid gaming sensibilities, who I bet you could hire two or maybe three of for the price of one Gozer. One hard limit is how much content one person can do in a given amount of time and I think the ideal for Cryptic, longterm, is probably to get good writers churning out content while a supervisor applies an extra layer of polish rather than needing everyone to be as skilled as that supervisor would have to be.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Yeah, I dunno what you're looking for there, sorry.

Anyway I'm good. You're right, the teams growing, and if we keep growing, probably will again.
It's from this:
Quote:
Jules: Now Yolanda, we're not gonna do anything stupid, are we?
Yolanda: You don't hurt him.
Jules: Nobody's gonna hurt anybody. We're gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like? Come on Yolanda what's Fonzie like?
Yolanda: Cool?
Jules: What?
Yolanda: He's cool.
Jules: Correctamundo. And that's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool. Now Ringo, I'm gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your gun, and sit down. But when you do it, you do it cool. You ready? One... two... three.