Lt. Commander
So I went wandering around my ship today, as I am a curious sort... and it became apparent to me that I was ruling over what had to be the most micro-managed ship in all of Starfleet.

Wandering my corridors, and sometimes floating... were endless Starfleet Officers. Now, I've seen my Chief, she's a nice sort perpetually sending me to my death and all and I assume the nameless "Security" goons are enlisted as well, but apparently the entire rest of my ship is staffed by officers.

I wonder if this is how Cryptic is run... forty seven managers, and three working stiffs with a red shirt and a death wish.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
So I went wandering around my ship today, as I am a curious sort... and it became apparent to me that I was ruling over what had to be the most micro-managed ship in all of Starfleet.

Wandering my corridors, and sometimes floating... were endless Starfleet Officers. Now, I've seen my Chief, she's a nice sort perpetually sending me to my death and all and I assume the nameless "Security" goons are enlisted as well, but apparently the entire rest of my ship is staffed by officers.

I wonder if this is how Cryptic is run... forty seven managers, and three working stiffs with a red shirt and a death wish.
Thye may not necessarily be officers...

It's hard to tell ranks witht he standard Starfleet univorm when all you have as a indicator are the collar pips. Starfleet uniforms used to be color-coded according to division - that stopped at the time of the movies, though. TOS used blue for science, red for engineering/security, green for command (that looked gold under the set lighting due to the type of velour used to make the costume). TNG used red for command staff/security, blue for science/medical. ENT I'm not sure what they used - I stopped watching that reavesty early in, and I can't be arsed to look up what coding (if any) was on the jumpsuits.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2011, 06:53 AM
No, they're all officers. Click on one. iIt'll tell you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Thye may not necessarily be officers...

It's hard to tell ranks witht he standard Starfleet univorm when all you have as a indicator are the collar pips. Starfleet uniforms used to be color-coded according to division - that stopped at the time of the movies, though. TOS used blue for science, red for engineering/security, green for command (that looked gold under the set lighting due to the type of velour used to make the costume). TNG used red for command staff/security, blue for science/medical. ENT I'm not sure what they used - I stopped watching that reavesty early in, and I can't be arsed to look up what coding (if any) was on the jumpsuits.
ENT used the same colors as TNG/DS9/VOY. The colors were/are found in the stripes that come down and make a box around the shoulder.

and for TNG/DS9/VOY you missed a color, and one can argue you missed two. There is the Yellow (I prefer 'mustard', others have other terms) for Operations (more like staff), Engineering & Security. Red is Command, Tactical. In TNG+ Yellow shirts are the new Red Shirts. One can also argue that there is an Aqua color used for Medical personnel instead of the Blue used for Science, however that point is debatable.

peter
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Alright, here is what to do. On rotation, select one officer to act as an "ensign", or other sufficiently degrading rank.

Then you get all the other officers to chase him around the ship, making him scrub toilets and whatnot for the duration of the shift. When the shift is over, that person is quite worn out, so select another and repeat the procedure!

Great fun!

---
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
ENT used the same colors as TNG/DS9/VOY. The colors were/are found in the stripes that come down and make a box around the shoulder.

and for TNG/DS9/VOY you missed a color, and one can argue you missed two. There is the Yellow (I prefer 'mustard', others have other terms) for Operations (more like staff), Engineering & Security. Red is Command, Tactical. In TNG+ Yellow shirts are the new Red Shirts. One can also argue that there is an Aqua color used for Medical personnel instead of the Blue used for Science, however that point is debatable.

peter
Archer did wear gold, though. It was closer to the TOS scheme but some of the roles did seem to use TNG colors.

As far as enlisted folks go, Roddenberry hated the idea and disliked O'Brien's character as a result. It was also one of the things he disagreed with in the Meyers-era films. I think in his view, everyone got free education and everyone went to college, hence there would be no enlisted men or need for a "working class" crew member.

That said, Roddenberry never had completely final say over Trek and much of what we got, even in TOS and TNG's early seasons, was stuff he totally and vehenemently disagreed with. He did influence TOS and TNG S1 and S2 more heavily, hence the lack of undershirt and belt on the WoK uniforms and reference to Klingons being a Federation member world among many other things.

But Roddenberry was never truly a showrunner the way Davies was with Doctor Who or Whedon was with Buffy and certainly not to the extreme extent that Weiner is with a show like Madmen, where he runs around the set micromanaging the food and props.

Roddenberry opposed enlisted officers being in Starfleet and opposed the idea of anyone not being an officer but never really was allowed to have the final word on that.

You can take their overall exclusion here as a nod towards his vision or, more pragmatically, as a tech limitation that will probably go away with the addition of the Crew System anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
The color-coding on Enterprise's uniforms corresponds with that of the original series, in fact--which is ultimately more logical, given the era.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
A ship full of officers? Nothing will get ever get done.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
As far as enlisted folks go, Roddenberry hated the idea and disliked O'Brien's character as a result. It was also one of the things he disagreed with in the Meyers-era films. I think in his view, everyone got free education and everyone went to college, hence there would be no enlisted men or need for a "working class" crew member.
Which is why I loved O'Brien. Even if college was free, why do I have to go? I may despise being in school and want to be an enlisted man. Enlisted men tend to focus on one thing instead of floating around like officers do. That means they tend to be bigger experts in their craft. A Sergeant Major may have to salute a Major, but I can promise you that if the SGM says "duck," the Major hits the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoav160 View Post
A ship full of officers? Nothing will get ever get done.
As a former enlisted man, this statement is full of WIN.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Ensign is a commision rank according to TNG. Picard made that clear when he gave Wesley Crusher a field commission to Ensign before he was allowed to take the helm. If I recall, his words were "Ensign is the lowest commissioned rank in this mans navy."