Lt. Commander
# 31
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
Obviously. It wouldn't make an commercial or engineering sense to start from scratch when you already have the tools available.
"How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job." - Scotty

That being said, I can understand using those tools as a base like they did with the CO engine but if it wasn't designed for space, they should remold it to work for space. After all, 50% of the game IS space.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
So STO's entire foundation was developed using tools from non-space games?
Damn. STO's creation has WAY too many time saving variables in it.
Did I say that? How do you jump from a comment about the cut scene editor to STO's Entire foundation?

No.. I'm just talking about the cut scene editor one of the many editors (tools) I use to make content everyday. It was made for CO, it was improved for NWO (which helps both STO and CO), and now I need some stuff extra stuff from the tech team to do things that won't do anything for CO or NWO since neither of them have Space gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
That said however, we are still making them. Frozen (the third Romulan Weekly episode, which is the weekly episode I've been making) has two space cut scenes, and two ground cut scenes.
cool, thanks for the update.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Did I say that? How do you jump from a comment about the cut scene editor to STO's Entire foundation?

No.. I'm just talking about the cut scene editor one of the many editors (tools) I use to make content everyday. It was made for CO, it was improved for NWO (which helps both STO and CO), and now I need some stuff extra stuff from the tech team to do things that won't do anything for CO or NWO since neither of them have Space gameplay.
Oooohhhh....
So it's a new addition.

*whew*
You had me worried. I thought the cut scene editor was more integrated into the game tools itself, not a stand alone tool.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
We are very good at this sort of thing......conspiracy theories that is.

Gozer...you are a smart guy,but this was just a stupid question......silly penguin.:p
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
So STO's entire foundation was developed using tools from non-space games?
Damn. STO's creation has WAY too many time saving variables in it.
As was EVE abd SWG. As games evolve tools get expanded on - that's the nature of game engines nd MMO engines in particular. Hell, prior to City of Villians, MMOs didn't have cutscenes. They had pre-rendered cinimatics in spots. My point - development of new tools takes time and ythat's exactly what's happening here.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
As was EVE abd SWG. As games evolve tools get expanded on - that's the nature of game engines nd MMO engines in particular. Hell, prior to City of Villians, MMOs didn't have cutscenes. They had pre-rendered cinimatics in spots. My point - development of new tools takes time and ythat's exactly what's happening here.
I know. I just assumed that the cut scenes were part of a larger scripting tool that has existed since STO's start. Things like having AI walk around your ship or Starbase.

I'm from the old EF crowd where the scripting tool for the AI was the same as cut scenes.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Sometime i really think this community is schizophrenic... :p

I remember that a few months ago people where screming for cutscenes, and now that we get them people complain they want to skip them.... priceless.

For myself i find them awesome. I hope they will be used more often. Not that every mission needs one, but there are a few where it would make perfect sense (missions in the fluidic space some to mind or assimilated. )
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
Sometime i really think this community is schizophrenic... :p

I remember that a few months ago people where screming for cutscenes, and now that we get them people complain they want to skip them.... priceless.

For myself i find them awesome. I hope they will be used more often. Not that every mission needs one, but there are a few where it would make perfect sense (missions in the fluidic space some to mind or assimilated. )
Different people, generally.

But there's also a difference between cutscenes that actually add something and ones that just waste time being dull. Fortunately, the new SS Azura mission has both, and the latter can be skipped. Except for the sort-of-interactive-cutscene that is going down to 'our' transporter room (even if we're all supposed to start from different ships...).
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
That said however, we are still making them. Frozen (the third Romulan Weekly episode, which is the weekly episode I've been making) has two space cut scenes, and two ground cut scenes.
While I found your whole post informative, Gozer, it's this part that I enjoyed the most. I loved The Vault (and pretty much all the Featured Episodes so far, really), but I'm really looking forward to what you've come up with for Frozen.

(The Romulan storyline for STO was my favorite in the whole game, and I have high hopes for this Series. So far, the opening episode was great, in my opinion, and I look forward to the other four.)