Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Anti-proton or Polaron?
02-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Polaron beams seem to be the best in the game so far, beating out Phasers and Disruptors I think (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have no experience with Anti-proton beams. Are they worth bothering with, or is Polaron the best? Or something else? (Plasma and Tetryon seem useless based on their procs.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollio View Post
smoke less crack rock. Both of these weapons suck for the simple fact they use admiral skill points. All weapons do the same basic damage regardless of type, the *only* difference is procs. The antiproton proc is probably the best damage add but spending 9 of you 16 total admiral skill ups to max this isn't worth the minor increase in damage you'd see, while at the same time horribly gimping your admiral skillset. For skill point cost, Dirsruptors are the best bang for the buck.
No need to insult me. I didn't know you only get 16 skills at Admiral level. I didn't know exactly where the skill cap was. So disrupters are better than phasers proc-wise? So does that mean the best combo is disrupters with quantums?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't count Anti-Proton and Polaron out of the equation yet. Only 16 skill points at Admiral can't be intended as none of the skills were intended to be the only reward. It will change. For the meantime though, Disruptors and Photons are usually the best mix for sustained DPS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Assuming there was no cap and no penalty ?

Polarons are the best weapon to use at Admiral level because their special effect is to drain the power across ALL target systems which results in:

Weapons Power: Reduced damage from their weapons
Shield Power: Reduced recharge from their shields
Engine Power:Reduced Speed
Aux Power: Reduced manuverability + effect from their science skills

If you manage to drop someones power to 0, in the case of shields they will literally DROP which gives you a free shot at their hull.

Phasers do the same but they disable the system for a bit which is perhaps better but its randomly limited to ONE system and the duration rather short.

Anti-protons dont have a special effect. Their gimick is basically being the only purple weapon system and the fact they have stats to match that. Increased critical chance really isnt worth the effort to get these things compared to Polarons.


As for disruptors vs. Phasers

Sorry, Phasers win, reducing someones resistances is no comparison to literally taking someones systems out. Disruptors special resistance debuff dosent stack and just means your doing a little bit more damage for 10 seconds.

Compare that to Phasers which can literally drop someones shields, stop them dead, cripple their manuverability or stop them shooting back and it DOES stack. A ship full of phasers have each weapon worth of chance to cause a sub-system hit and if you include cannon rapid fire into this equation it becomes even more likely.

I often see my phasers inflicting subsystem disables across a ship quite frequently and all it takes is for the shields to drop and a HYTIII volley to overcome ANY advantage a little resistance debuff might afford with disruptors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't think there's really a straight-across best type. It kind of depends on a conjunction of the weapon type and damage type. The proc effect is the same regardless of weapon type, so tetryon turrets are a lot better than tetryon dual heavy cannons. And even then it depends a lot on your ship type... I imagine tetryon wouldn't be a great choice for an escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
I wouldn't count Anti-Proton and Polaron out of the equation yet. Only 16 skill points at Admiral can't be intended as none of the skills were intended to be the only reward. It will change. For the meantime though, Disruptors and Photons are usually the best mix for sustained DPS.
You can't get photon torpedoes at a badge vendor, though, so aren't they out of the equation? Unless you wanna pay ridiculous prices on the exchange? I like photon torpedoes better myself because they have higher DPS than quantum torpedoes, but they're unavailable in Mk IV, Mk VI, Mk VIII, and Mk X unless you get a lucky drop or pay a ludicrous amount on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollio View Post
smoke less crack rock. Both of these weapons suck for the simple fact they use admiral skill points. All weapons do the same basic damage regardless of type, the *only* difference is procs. The antiproton proc is probably the best damage add but spending 9 of you 16 total admiral skill ups to max this isn't worth the minor increase in damage you'd see, while at the same time horribly gimping your admiral skillset. For skill point cost, Dirsruptors are the best bang for the buck.
And what are you going to spend those 16 admiral points on instead? Weapon systems engineering admiral skill does not help that awful much. The power setting increase is low, and the ability isnt really better than the II version. Aux skill? Some nice things, but again, small benefits. Repairing? Not good enough return, yet again, with the actual skills and limitations on them in mind.

Starship skill? Sure.. it can help, but that is better for the 7 points left over after you max one other skill. Are the 3300 extra hull from those three points worth it aside from elsewhere? Maybe, but maybe not, least for star cruiser. I am sure the other ships have a much lower hull increase yield.

I was annoyed at you insulting the OP. You come on, insult, post dribble, and say what you read elsewhere. Where is the actual substance? WHAT in comparison would you be gimping? Do you even know? Or are you one of those skill spreadsheet SHEEP that follows in the wake of those who actually know what they are doing?

Perhaps players like you should just read what others post and not actually get involved.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuggy
And what are you going to spend those 16 admiral points on instead? Weapon systems engineering admiral skill does not help that awful much. The power setting increase is low, and the ability isnt really better than the II version. Aux skill? Some nice things, but again, small benefits. Repairing? Not good enough return, yet again, with the actual skills and limitations on them in mind.

Starship skill? Sure.. it can help, but that is better for the 7 points left over after you max one other skill. Are the 3300 extra hull from those three points worth it aside from elsewhere? Maybe, but maybe not, least for star cruiser. I am sure the other ships have a much lower hull increase yield.

I was annoyed at you insulting the OP. You come on, insult, post dribble, and say what you read elsewhere. Where is the actual substance? WHAT in comparison would you be gimping? Do you even know? Or are you one of those skill spreadsheet SHEEP that follows in the wake of those who actually know what they are doing?

Perhaps players like you should just read what others post and not actually get involved.
+1

op i would stick with polaron. as an escort my polaron dual heavys are hitting for about 950 with consoles and stats pumped into them...my tetyron is itting for darn near 1200. once some consoles come out or they increase the cap a bit the purples dont seem worth it to me
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuggy
And what are you going to spend those 16 admiral points on instead? Weapon systems engineering admiral skill does not help that awful much. The power setting increase is low, and the ability isnt really better than the II version. Aux skill? Some nice things, but again, small benefits. Repairing? Not good enough return, yet again, with the actual skills and limitations on them in mind.

Starship skill? Sure.. it can help, but that is better for the 7 points left over after you max one other skill. Are the 3300 extra hull from those three points worth it aside from elsewhere? Maybe, but maybe not, least for star cruiser. I am sure the other ships have a much lower hull increase yield.

I was annoyed at you insulting the OP. You come on, insult, post dribble, and say what you read elsewhere. Where is the actual substance? WHAT in comparison would you be gimping? Do you even know? Or are you one of those skill spreadsheet SHEEP that follows in the wake of those who actually know what they are doing?

Perhaps players like you should just read what others post and not actually get involved.
weapon performance because it increases your weapons power level which enables for more damage on an energy weapon specced out in a lower tier, and yes it is enough to make a difference. :p

btw: efficiency only increases your energy when its at an already low state while performance is a flat increase, so investing efficiency for a weapon thats at 100 energy wont do anything while investing performance would.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM.