Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Dear Atari/Cryptic

Could you please attempt to have a lick of common sense when it comes to major updates? Have you ever even seen another MMO and how other companies handle these kind of issues? I truly am left to believe you haven't, or you simply didn't care to bother.

I played the beta of STO and when it came time to ante up and buy the full blown retail copy I passed, because the beta wasn't even no where near what you could even classify as alpha code.

I came back to give it a shot again recently when I found STO for $5 on Amazon.com through the digital download version. I now have two accounts, one for me and one for my son. Although I'm playing both more and more, since the kid just can't deal with the issues in the game, which I try to overlook to enjoy the game.

I've always enjoyed the space side of things in the game, as the game is promising, but there's still so much just simply wrong in a mind boggling way in STO.

I know it's only a year old, but I get the feeling I'm still playing what now is the beta phase of the game. Before someone comes off with “all MMOs are a work in progress”, this is a game that people pay $15 a month to play, and we should all expect a little more from it with that being the case. In my case I'm up to $30 a month since I now have two accounts.

I can't count how many times I've been pulled into random Signal Contacts as I attempt to get from point A to point B in sector space daily. I also can't tell you how many times I've bumped into the wall and been prompted to warp to sector X or Y, and clicked “No not now” and still ended up warped to where ever.

Not to mention the missions with items and NPCs burried underground that still exist, or the 2-3 missions I encountered which were simply bugged and I had to start over, because something just wasn't right as it should have been about them. Those really burn me up in STO, and are the kind of things you'd think would have been fixed by now.

But today REALLY takes the cake. Who in the world is responsible for allowing Cryptic/Atari to unleash weekly episodes on a Saturday? And why in the world would you? In StarWars Galaxies the majority of major updates were made on days when the servers were scheduled for downtime to begin with, which just so happened to be here in the US about 7am on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I believe Saturday morning was a scheduled server downtime too, but I don't ever recall SOE launching a major update on the same day.

See IF you add a patch, or major update to the game early AM be it EST or PST timezones, which ever, on a weekday, then the server simply isn't going to crash and go down like STO did today. The thinking behind this is simple, and it benefits EVERYONE. You wouldn't need extra hands on deck to work on a weekend too, like you probably did to handle today.

If you update the game on say a Tues or Thurs at 7am EST, everyone isn't going to attempt to log in and crash the server and cause the chaos we've experienced today. What happens is you will have a few hundred diehard players who might call off work, or call in sick to play the new content, but most will go to work, or go to school as usual, and then about 3pm through all the time zones people will start to download and log in to try what's new.

Since most people do work during the week, and equally as many players are likely in school as well, many of them will try and log in to check out the new update as soon as they have time, maybe on Friday, or maybe on Weds even, what ever the case may be.

But my point is if you do it on a weekend day like Saturday then most EVERYONE is available to play, and now you've just screwed everyone out of hours worth of gameplay, on a day when they CAN play the most, because NOW everyone is trying all at once to get in and play.

Some players not even caring about the new content just want to play and enjoy their ONLY off time during the week, which is usually the weekend. So in the future could someone please attempt to use common sense when it comes time to add new content, and not pick a weekend like you did today?

I'm disgusted that I pay $15 a month to play this half-baked game based on StarTrek as it is, and then I loose many hours of my gaming time to attempt to enjoy it on one of the only days that I can, all because someone thought they'd be doing everyone a favor by launching this on Saturday, without fist thinking about the consequences of doing so.

Really, did you REALLY think this would go smoothly? I swear it's clear to me that who ever designed this game refused to look at what makes other MMOs popular and successful too.

Don't think for a minute that the handful of awards STO got recently was truly earned by being a super game too, because fact is that it's clear there wasn't a lot of competition and they had to choose an MMO for Game of the Year, and STO was really one of the only options. You can level a character in about a week all the way to Vice Admiral, and then if you don't pvp, guess what? That's it, game over. there's not a lot left to do. Sadly the STF missions also don't offer any rewards to make them worth doing multiple times either, so most will get their Borg gear and never want to return, because they're simply too hard, and too long for most to bother with them.

In StarWars Galaxies there was before I left about 5-6 different daily instances you could do that required full 8 man groups, and they were all worth doing daily, because they didn't just give the same thing every time to everyone. There's multiple reasons to go back and go them again, and some took as little as 30 mins, with the longest Hoth being maybe 2 hours tops, most 45-75 mins on average tho. You might want to take a look at what's really you're only current competition, and attempt to add something more to keep people in this game beyond VA.

User created content also isn't the answer. That's the cheap way to get free labor from the community, and they tried this in SWG too with the Storyteller system, and some will use it, but most will tinker with it and move on, because it's not the same as a special mission made by the devs, with special loot and trinkets that you can only get from a professionally made mission.

Look at this game for a minute and tell me, IF it wasn't based on StarTrek, do you really think it wouldn't have failed faster than Tabula Rasa? Take the Star Trek out of STO, and what do you really have here?

The endgame content and means to have more of a true community with fleets is another issue too. Some are going to say “but why are you still playing it, if you hate it so much”, because it has such good potential, and I'm hoping something happens to turn it around.

I'm just saddened that crafting is nothing more than what they borrowed from City of Heroes, and how ground combat is nothing more than City of Heroes with a terrible Star Trek mod. Even the ground STFs being limited to 5 players, really? Why?

Also why can't we have ships with interiors like StarWars Galaxies has had for the past 7 years now. Did you EVER really even look at SWG Cryptic? Look at the space loot system, and the space side of the game, that's what has kept so many people playing that game since Jump to LightSpeed too.

You gave us interiors in STO, now let us do something with them. What's missing is a means to truly personalize the experience in STO, which SWG had in droves with player created cities, housing, and any item in the game was a 3d object you could display in your house, or even on board your ship. And you could jump into space with an 8-man crew, with many manning various guns, while the pilot attempted to steer the ship in the direction of the enemies. True teamwork.

Why did they overlook so many features that would have made STO so much more of what it should have been? Originallity is one thing, but every game has a feature or idea borrowed from somewhere else, because it simply makes sense too. And please, next time you decide to update the game with new content, at least attempt to make it look like someone over there has enough common sense to really think it through?

You may think you did everyone a favor by bringing a new episode online on a Saturday, but what you really did is take many hours of worth of gametime away from paying customers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorX70
Dear Atari/Cryptic

Could you please attempt to have a lick of common sense when it comes to major updates? Have you ever even seen another MMO and how other companies handle these kind of issues? I truly am left to believe you haven't, or you simply didn't care to bother.

I played the beta of STO and when it came time to ante up and buy the full blown retail copy I passed, because the beta wasn't even no where near what you could even classify as alpha code.

I came back to give it a shot again recently when I found STO for $5 on Amazon.com through the digital download version. I now have two accounts, one for me and one for my son. Although I'm playing both more and more, since the kid just can't deal with the issues in the game, which I try to overlook to enjoy the game.

I've always enjoyed the space side of things in the game, as the game is promising, but there's still so much just simply wrong in a mind boggling way in STO.

I know it's only a year old, but I get the feeling I'm still playing what now is the beta phase of the game. Before someone comes off with “all MMOs are a work in progress”, this is a game that people pay $15 a month to play, and we should all expect a little more from it with that being the case. In my case I'm up to $30 a month since I now have two accounts.

I can't count how many times I've been pulled into random Signal Contacts as I attempt to get from point A to point B in sector space daily. I also can't tell you how many times I've bumped into the wall and been prompted to warp to sector X or Y, and clicked “No not now” and still ended up warped to where ever.

Not to mention the missions with items and NPCs burried underground that still exist, or the 2-3 missions I encountered which were simply bugged and I had to start over, because something just wasn't right as it should have been about them. Those really burn me up in STO, and are the kind of things you'd think would have been fixed by now.

But today REALLY takes the cake. Who in the world is responsible for allowing Cryptic/Atari to unleash weekly episodes on a Saturday? And why in the world would you? In StarWars Galaxies the majority of major updates were made on days when the servers were scheduled for downtime to begin with, which just so happened to be here in the US about 7am on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I believe Saturday morning was a scheduled server downtime too, but I don't ever recall SOE launching a major update on the same day.

See IF you add a patch, or major update to the game early AM be it EST or PST timezones, which ever, on a weekday, then the server simply isn't going to crash and go down like STO did today. The thinking behind this is simple, and it benefits EVERYONE. You wouldn't need extra hands on deck to work on a weekend too, like you probably did to handle today.

If you update the game on say a Tues or Thurs at 7am EST, everyone isn't going to attempt to log in and crash the server and cause the chaos we've experienced today. What happens is you will have a few hundred diehard players who might call off work, or call in sick to play the new content, but most will go to work, or go to school as usual, and then about 3pm through all the time zones people will start to download and log in to try what's new.

Since most people do work during the week, and equally as many players are likely in school as well, many of them will try and log in to check out the new update as soon as they have time, maybe on Friday, or maybe on Weds even, what ever the case may be.

But my point is if you do it on a weekend day like Saturday then most EVERYONE is available to play, and now you've just screwed everyone out of hours worth of gameplay, on a day when they CAN play the most, because NOW everyone is trying all at once to get in and play.

Some players not even caring about the new content just want to play and enjoy their ONLY off time during the week, which is usually the weekend. So in the future could someone please attempt to use common sense when it comes time to add new content, and not pick a weekend like you did today?

I'm disgusted that I pay $15 a month to play this half-baked game based on StarTrek as it is, and then I loose many hours of my gaming time to attempt to enjoy it on one of the only days that I can, all because someone thought they'd be doing everyone a favor by launching this on Saturday, without fist thinking about the consequences of doing so.

Really, did you REALLY think this would go smoothly? I swear it's clear to me that who ever designed this game refused to look at what makes other MMOs popular and successful too.

Don't think for a minute that the handful of awards STO got recently was truly earned by being a super game too, because fact is that it's clear there wasn't a lot of competition and they had to choose an MMO for Game of the Year, and STO was really one of the only options. You can level a character in about a week all the way to Vice Admiral, and then if you don't pvp, guess what? That's it, game over. there's not a lot left to do. Sadly the STF missions also don't offer any rewards to make them worth doing multiple times either, so most will get their Borg gear and never want to return, because they're simply too hard, and too long for most to bother with them.

In StarWars Galaxies there was before I left about 5-6 different daily instances you could do that required full 8 man groups, and they were all worth doing daily, because they didn't just give the same thing every time to everyone. There's multiple reasons to go back and go them again, and some took as little as 30 mins, with the longest Hoth being maybe 2 hours tops, most 45-75 mins on average tho. You might want to take a look at what's really you're only current competition, and attempt to add something more to keep people in this game beyond VA.

User created content also isn't the answer. That's the cheap way to get free labor from the community, and they tried this in SWG too with the Storyteller system, and some will use it, but most will tinker with it and move on, because it's not the same as a special mission made by the devs, with special loot and trinkets that you can only get from a professionally made mission.

Look at this game for a minute and tell me, IF it wasn't based on StarTrek, do you really think it wouldn't have failed faster than Tabula Rasa? Take the Star Trek out of STO, and what do you really have here?

The endgame content and means to have more of a true community with fleets is another issue too. Some are going to say “but why are you still playing it, if you hate it so much”, because it has such good potential, and I'm hoping something happens to turn it around.

I'm just saddened that crafting is nothing more than what they borrowed from City of Heroes, and how ground combat is nothing more than City of Heroes with a terrible Star Trek mod. Even the ground STFs being limited to 5 players, really? Why?

Also why can't we have ships with interiors like StarWars Galaxies has had for the past 7 years now. Did you EVER really even look at SWG Cryptic? Look at the space loot system, and the space side of the game, that's what has kept so many people playing that game since Jump to LightSpeed too.

You gave us interiors in STO, now let us do something with them. What's missing is a means to truly personalize the experience in STO, which SWG had in droves with player created cities, housing, and any item in the game was a 3d object you could display in your house, or even on board your ship. And you could jump into space with an 8-man crew, with many manning various guns, while the pilot attempted to steer the ship in the direction of the enemies. True teamwork.

Why did they overlook so many features that would have made STO so much more of what it should have been? Originallity is one thing, but every game has a feature or idea borrowed from somewhere else, because it simply makes sense too. And please, next time you decide to update the game with new content, at least attempt to make it look like someone over there has enough common sense to really think it through?

You may think you did everyone a favor by bringing a new episode online on a Saturday, but what you really did is take many hours of worth of gametime away from paying customers.
Can I have your stuff ? lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy74656 View Post
Can I have your stuff ? lol
Someone will likely get it, because it's going to be hard to stick around for much more of this nonsense. lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-05-2011, 05:07 PM
To be fair they did not have this problem with the previous feature episodes so i am willing to cut them some slack. Hopefully it will not happen next week but you never know.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanIRL View Post
To be fair they did not have this problem with the previous feature episodes so i am willing to cut them some slack. Hopefully it will not happen next week but you never know.
Well they better start using our $15 a month and invest in some new hardware, because to limit my time on a weekend is a sure fire way to loose me as a customer in the long run.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanIRL View Post
To be fair they did not have this problem with the previous feature episodes so i am willing to cut them some slack. Hopefully it will not happen next week but you never know.
It's the Year Anniversary. People left all angry a year ago, came back 6 months ago, left angry, came back this week and will leave angry.

It's just rush hour for angry people. By next week it'll all be forgotten.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
You lose one Saturday and suddenly you're threatening to quit?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh i was not complaining i was just saying that this is the first time this has happened since the launch of the featured episodes. I am happy with what the devs are doing with this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
You lose one Saturday and suddenly you're threatening to quit?
Well that's taking my money and not giving me what I paid for the way I see it. Life is stressful enough, I pay to play this game to get away from Rl and stress, not encounter more. Think about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-05-2011, 05:16 PM
moving this to general feedback as its primarly a one sided rant.

I think the issue here is that the OP has the impression we purposly took the game down on a Saturday. We did not. There was emergency maintenance due to a flood of users (a good thing) that hit a bug and caused a networking issue with our shard. A restart addressed the issue, and while we can only say sorry for that downtime, we did address it immediately and is the reason we have 24 hour staff to deal with craziness as it comes up.

To the claim that we are crazy to launch a feature episode on our busiest day - I completely disagree. You do not put the superbowl on at 2am on a Tuesday morning. You do not launch a new TV show at 3am on a Thursday - you put it in your prime time because that is when the most people will be available to enjoy it as it premiers. Nearly every feature episode has premiered on a Saturday at 11am thus far, and we do not plan to change it. Sorry. It is the time when our GLOBAL population has the best chance to play it LIVE as it comes out.

sorry you're so upset after returning and I can only speak directly to your concerns and say that we are working to resolve the issue. It was sucky timing - but I'd rather have thousands of people trying to get in game than have no on playing the game. Its the better of the two problems.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 AM.