Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
thanks a bunch!!!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
Unfortunately I bought mine back in February of 2010. I'm not going to quit or go crazy or tear my hair out, just post one sentence about it and get over it.
Understood. I don't blame you. Do a forum search for runabout rename, or something like that. I know you can rename it.

Quote:
I never said I was trying to launch it from my runabout. I am a Vice Admiral, i'm pretty sure I can ask starfleet to let me use a runabout and a shuttle at the same time. They could leave the starbase together as I said above. And before someone jumps down my throat on this one, i don't mean together as in I use two ships at once I mean together as in my pet follows me around, like when my vulcan and his pet selhat run around they to it together.
Yes and no. Sure you can leave at the same time, but when you go on a mission and are in combat the pet disappears (goes back into your ship) so when you click on it again its almost like its being launched from your shuttle/runabout. Frankly its all a matter of how you look at it. I don't mind if I can fly in my runabout and have a shuttle, runabout, and delta flyer pet following me. I'm just trying to point out the reasoning behind their decision to do it.

Quote:
I'll try to illuminate. And I know I am a dork/loser or whatever for having an ongoing backstory in my head for my characters. Since I got my runabout and del taco shuttle I have occasionally taken them out together and imagined that all my boffs were on it, you know as like a team building exercise. Especially whenever I get a new one.

Its fun for me. I like to have a back story and to use my imagination.
Ohhh so you mean your bridge officers are on the pets. Gotcha. Don't worry, I enjoy the whole back story idea as well so we can be dorks together lol. Like I said above, personally I don't care how many pets are following me. You'd think from a starship we could have multiple pets, but oh well.

Quote:
Look guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight with the forum regulars here, i just felt like this forum was a community and as a member of the community I would share my personal feelings about my personal experiences.
That's perfectly fine with me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Cargo Bays that were right by Shuttle Bays could be made to hold Auxiliary Craft. Theoretically that's where Voyager held it's craft since not all of those ships could fit in it's cargo bays.
The likely means this happened is a movable wall/flloor/whatever that we just never got to see. You can't exactly launch them out of the Cargo Bay though since it doesn't have an opening to space.
And how does a runabout hold a shuttle in its cargobay?

I realize they could both launch from a starbase but the current implementation isn't them warping in: it's them spawning from your craft.

This makes shuttles popping out of runabouts silly (since they're fairly close in size).
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Understood.
Thanks man, you're a cool dude.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
double posted, sorry
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Thanks man, you're a cool dude.
wow...you updated that post really fast.

i dont think darren is knocking your role-playing in general.

from the way your OP is written it makes it seem you want to launch the type8 from the runabout. and even in trek lore, that is not a possible thing to accomplish.

as for the ability to launch the type8 along with the runabout....maybe the devs had a change of heart and realized the same and therefore removed the ability to have TWO shuttles out at the same time. let alone one that is not able to fit inside the other.

just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I bought a runabout 2 weeks ago and i could rename it without any issu. I am flying Puddle Jumper 1 true the fault.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
wow...you updated that post really fast.
I did. The post I initially typed was straight from the heart and I realized it was more of an emotional reaction than a logical one. A moment later I could see more clearly and realized I was over reacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
from the way your OP is written it makes it seem you want to launch the type8 from the runabout. and even in trek lore, that is not a possible thing to accomplish.
I think you guys are all looking to deeply into this. Its not that I want to launch a shuttle from the runabout. I simply want to use my shuttle pet while piloting my runabout. In my mind they left the starbase together, and the shuttle just goes and hides in combat.

I don't think a shuttle can fit inside a runabout. I am aware of the sizes of these two things. On this note, I can launch a pet runabout from my NX class, where do you suppose it fits in there? a runabout is much larger than a 2150s shuttle pod.

Let me phrase it like this. Where does my pet selhat or pet targ go? Where does it "launch" from? It suddenly appears from nowhere, just like the shuttle does. Nowhere in Star Trek have I ever seen a klingon keep a Targ in his pocket.

Why is it that you can accept that a targ appears out of nowhere, disappears in combat, and miraculously reappears but if a shuttle does the same its ridiculous?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
beam down from your ship

no one has a targ in his pocket
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
And how does a runabout hold a shuttle in its cargobay?

I realize they could both launch from a starbase but the current implementation isn't them warping in: it's them spawning from your craft.

This makes shuttles popping out of runabouts silly (since they're fairly close in size).
This is really, really nitpicking.. and at the expense of wrecking some roleplay fun for players.

If a player wants to pretend like he's flying around in a shuttlecraft while having a wingman in another pet shuttlecraft, he should be able to do. No offense, but the above quoted argument against this idea is full of holes.

First of all, the giant shuttle pet models we spawn are too large to theoretically fit in starship's shuttlebay, much less a runabout. So, why even use this point when we're forced to turn a blind eye to realism in either case.

Second, the shuttles don't "launch" from our vessels, they just spawn near them. There is no launching animation, no shuttle doors opening, no pet shuttle performing a pre-flight check before exiting the bay. It simply appears out of thin air somewhere near your starship. And just as you choose to imagine your pet shuttle has launched from your starship, I can imagine a shuttle appearing next to my runabout has just dropped out of warp nearby. Heck, I can imagine it was next to me the entire time, and only now dropped its cloaking device. Yay for imagination, the same imagination that has you believing your pet shuttle is "launching" from your shuttlebay even though the animation doesn't support this theory.

If there's a technical limitation behind this (and I can't fathom why there would be since we used to be able to summon shuttle pets from our runabouts), that's one thing. But any imagined reason why we shouldn't be able to do so can be easily explained away, so let's not waste everyone's time with them.