Lt. Commander
# 1 Nebula Class Impulse Engines
02-06-2011, 04:19 PM
This may not be a bug, but the Nebula Class doesn't seem to have any impulse engine effects. Only the warp nacelles have an engine trail.

In all honesty this is actually rather nice to have less engines trails on the ship. I think the ships look much better without the long beams of light trailing behind them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
no its not a bug, the nebula has never had visable impulse engines. the best example is the end of the movie "star trek generations" the flyby at the ends shows this clearly.

the bug i would like to think is that when you use evasive manuvers 2 red spots glow on the saucer where the engines appear on the galaxy class.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I had never noticed this. I just checked the season 6 DS9 episode 'Waltz' and the nebula class in that is the same. No impulse engine. I wonder what propulsion it uses then?

There are a couple of indentations on the rear of the saucer section where I assumed the engines were supposed to be. Strange, but hey I don't like all those engine trails anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2011, 03:20 AM
The engines are actually there and are impulse engines. AFAIK they are just "covered" for a lower sensor signatures or something, helping the ship to get detected harder.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2011, 04:38 AM
"A careful inspection of the Nebula-class model reveals that it has no visible impulse engines. In a recent entry on Doug Drexler's weblog, Rick Sternbach indicated that he envisioned the ship's impulse drives as being hidden behind baffles to scatter their signature for stealth reasons. He added that "modern" Starfleet vessel impulse engines operated on little conventional rocket thrust anyways, being more of a sub-warp subspace drive."
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Very cool indeed.

Thanks guys. I usually pride myself on knowing these things, but I guess there's still lots to learn about Trek even after being a fan over 15 years.

This makes me love my Nebula class even more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
That's okay, I was absolutely certain that the Excelsior had large blue glowing tops on its warp engines.

I was quite wrong. Not sure why I still remember it that way, but it is a completely false memory.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
That's okay, I was absolutely certain that the Excelsior had large blue glowing tops on its warp engines.

I was quite wrong. Not sure why I still remember it that way, but it is a completely false memory.
Some of the CGI models of the excelsior used in DS9 had glowing warp nacelles. That may be what you are thinking of.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...y-darkneck.jpg