Lt. Commander
It seems like the width of mines' deployment pattern has been massively increased when not using a dispersal pattern. Now if you deploy your mines right next to an enemy ship, at least a few of them deploy so far away that they end up outside of lock on range! When was this changed? It seems like using mines effectively is even more difficult now, and it was always difficult to justify their existence as it was.

The size of Dispersal Pattern Beta seems to be unchanged from before, but now Dispersal Pattern Alpha appears to deploy mines in this very wide pattern as well, only it's worse because there is no central mine in Pattern Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The size of Dispersal Pattern Beta seems to be unchanged from before, but now Dispersal Pattern Alpha appears to deploy mines in this very wide pattern as well, only it's worse because there is no central mine in Pattern Alpha.
Well, I'm guessing with Dispersal Pattern Alpha that's intentional. It is IMHO Intended to be more of an AoE effect. So it is spread out more, to catch multiple ships instead of locking onto one.

Perhaps the devs decided that by default mines should be an AoE weapon? So DP Beta is needed to concentrate them on a single target.

BTW, I love mines, and have taken to using them in conjunction with the Cluster Torpedo. Granted it's just for effect, but there's nothing like dumping three dozen mines on a target and watching them all home in on him.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Ya, just recently here the deployment width increased by a lot. Personally, I like the change as far as coolness factor goes, it feels more like a mine layer should feel. That being said, yeah mines need some love they are just too weak, and too hard to use effectively. Burst damage is already the king of STO so turning into more of an AOE effect weakens it. It is also much harder to make sure they are hitting an unshielded facing as well as being destructible (space is a dangerous place)

What specific love do they need? Who is to say, there are many ways they could be improved of course not ALL of these would be added but maybe one or two. Grant the mines some defense due to their small size, immunity to AOE effects, faster lock on and tracking speed, better damage against shields, better overall damage, more special effects like shield penetration or better procs like stuns (for more than just tricobalt) self replicating mines, cloaked mines...

So ya, fair to say mines need em to be thrown a bone
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Personally I use Chroniton mines for the effect, not damage. Widening the deployment range increases the chances at least one of the mines will lock on. However if you use mines as damage, yeah, I can see this ninja-edit of mines to be a pain.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Anyone else notice people are stacking endless amounts of mines in pvp?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
Anyone else notice people are stacking endless amounts of mines in pvp?
Speaking as someone that does this on occasion, I do it for three reason:

1. Target dilution to combat Beam Fire at Will, which seems to be popular among beam users now.

2. Some people will pop off AOE's to clear out the mines, rather than waiting for a more opportune time.

3. More damage is always a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
If the default spread was increased, then I suspect this is part of the new Romulan Tractor Mine deployment. So, code drift.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
If the default spread was increased, then I suspect this is part of the new Romulan Tractor Mine deployment. So, code drift.
This was my first thought as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Which would kinda suck because that means they would be tempted to revert it in the future. I like it as is. More of a chance to land my chroniton mines, more of a chance to whack a sneaky cloaked ship.