Lt. Commander
The new featured series, Cloaked Intentions is out! It looks like we're finally going to be delving into the Romulan/Reman thing a bit more. I get a feeling that the Iconians will show up, as well.

Are we finally going to delve into the history of the Iconians and the Remans? Will we fill plotholes left over from Nemesis? Are we going to find out why everyone is really at war with everyone else?

Now, this looks like a perfect opportunity to advance a pet theory of mine:

LYSANDER_X'S EXTREMELY NERDY UNOFFICIAL TIMELINE OF HOW STO EXPLAINS NEMESIS

OR, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LEARN TO LOVE THE THALARON GENERATOR.

Quote:
  • 2360's: The TNG episode Contagion: (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Contagion_%28episode%29) takes place. The USS Yamato discovers the location of Iconia, and is destroyed by Iconian technology. Jean Luc Picard and Sub-commander Taris race to uncover the technology. Picard manages to destroy it, and embarrass Taris.
  • Taris vows revenge against Picard and leaves, seeking the Iconians. Eventually, she finds them, or they find her.
  • 2370s: The Dominion War ends. The Iconians, fearing that the postwar political homogony forming in the Alpha Quadrant presents a threat, decide to foster war and mistrust among the various empires. They dispatch Taris to start a war between the Romulans and the Federation. She brings a piece of Iconian technology back with her: a thalaron radiation generator.
  • Taris meets some of the Remans, and forms an alliance with them. She constructs the original Scimitar for them, explaining how the Remans could have created a ship like that without the Tal Shiar noticing.
  • Star Trek: Nemesis happens. The entire thing is Taris' doing. Her plan is to place Shinzon in power, with instructions to let Picard know who he is, and destroy Earth. She would destroy Picard's homeworld with his own DNA, getting revenge for her loss at Iconia and fulfilling her master's wishes in one stroke. Instead, Shinzon toys with Picard, and Dontara helps him destroy Shinzon, bringing the two empires closer together.
  • The Empire goes through a period of instability and class antagonism in the wake of Shinzon's actions and death. It briefly splits in two, before being reformed under Dontara, who is pro-Federation.
  • The Remans move from Remus to Craetarus, outside the Romulus system.
  • 2380s: Taris is forced by the Iconians to enact her own punishment: the Hobus Incident. Her followers among the Remans are spared, as the new Reman homeworld is beyond the range of the explosion. On the same day, Dontara is mysteriously assimilated by the Borg near Hobus.
  • Taris struggles to maintain the Empire in the wake of the chaos, winning several battles against the Klingons and becoming Praetor.
  • Sometime later: Reman ships under Taris enact the second phase of the Iconian's plan. They enter Fluidic Space through an Iconian gateway, and deploy thalaron weapons. Thalaron radiation kills organic life, and Fluidic Space is a universe made of organic matter, so the effects are horrific. The Undine are allowed to trace the attacks back to the Alpha Quadrant, and decide our universe is a threat to their's. They begin their plan to purge the galaxy of all life.
  • Taris vanishes from the Empire.
  • 2409: Taris apprehended on Iconia.
  • First contact between the Federation and an Iconian ship over Iconia.
  • Iconian ship spotted engaging and utterly destroying a Borg fleet.
  • Iconian gateway found in Fluidic Space during Federation/Klingon joint rescue missions.
Thoughts? Opinions? Inevitable RedLetterMedia references?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
You might have nailed it
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Taris is actually a canon character? Did not know that.

Then again, I haven't watched Contagion in ages.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Taris is actually a canon character? Did not know that.

Then again, I haven't watched Contagion in ages.
In fact, she is! http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Taris

I suggest everyone re-watch Contagion. STO is pretty much based on this episode.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Awesomeness
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Hard to say where things will go after just the first episode, but I think the series is going to skirt if not entirely pass up the Iconian connection. From talking with the Reman commander, it sounds to me more like it'll tie into the Hobus mission's storyline. That is, Remans are angry and do terrible things.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2011, 02:03 AM
There's so much going on in the Romulan Empire right now, that it would indeed be very easy to bypass the implications of the Iconian connection entirely. We might not get the big reveal in this series, but it is coming.

Romulan space is probably the most interesting part of the STO universe. There are probably three or four factions of Romulans, and at least two Reman factions, all competing and grasping at the straws of the dying Empire, and it's only going to get worse.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing it a lot more over the next year, as we build up to the Romulan faction and the eventual and inevitable confrontation between the Iconians and everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
There's so much going on in the Romulan Empire right now, that it would indeed be very easy to bypass the implications of the Iconian connection entirely. We might not get the big reveal in this series, but it is coming.
True, if I recall correctly, the devs want to leave the Iconians behind the scenes. Rather than bring them up front and end up having to water them down so people can kill them (like the borg), the Iconians would be the boogieman in the shadows, occasionally popping out to say "boo".
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Child
True, if I recall correctly, the devs want to leave the Iconians behind the scenes. Rather than bring them up front and end up having to water them down so people can kill them (like the borg), the Iconians would be the boogieman in the shadows, occasionally popping out to say "boo".
They could make them like the crystalline entity
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudach View Post
They could make them like the crystalline entity
Actually, they look a little crystalline, themselves. Maybe the Crystalline Entity's sudden reappearance and impossibly difficulty isn't a coincidence . . .

*dum dum dum*