Lt. Commander
# 1 Reincarnation
02-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Since I got no feedback on this in the feedback forum I want to see what people here think.

After playing DDO for a while I noticed that the reincarnation system was actualy pretty useful. It ended up spreading out the players more across levels so that at all level ranges you had experienced players that could help new people and it made the game seem a lot more alive instead of people just sitting at the level cap.

I am not sure what the in game explanation would be for reincarnation but I am sure one could be come up with, just have Q do it or something but the idea would be that everytime you reincarnate you get a small bonus from your past life.

You could reincarnate 10 times for each profession and the bonuses would stack up to that point.

Engineers Space +1 power to aux,shields, engines and weapons Ground +1 health regeneration
Science Space +1% shield strength and shield resist Ground +1% shield strength and shield resist
Tactical Space +1% weapon damage -1% weapon cycle rate Ground +1% weapon damage -1% weapon cycle rate

So if you reincarnate 30 times total and did each profession 10 times you would have
+10 to all power levels, +10% shields, +10% shield resist, +10% weapons damage and -10% weapons cycle time

Same idea for ground.

This is just an idea for bonuses but the idea behind the bonuses is that they would be easy to implement in the code. Since they don't give extra skill points that would not effect the calculations on rank. STO already has a passive bonus system so these would just be passive bonuses that you gained each time you reincarnated so it hooks into an existing system very cleanly.

The bonuses need to be small but overall should encourage people to reincarnate. This system would also encourage people to craft rare lower tier items since they would be able to use it each time they went through that level range again.

I wanted to stay away from visual effects since that would just make it harder to program.

Try to keep any ideas inline with these being simple cumulative passive bonuses that way no new powers have to be created and no new animations etc.

The main issue with this should be balance but at least a system like this should take very very minimal time to implement and get live and encourage people to do more playing which should liven up the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
This would be an ideal system for a first officer to captain system I think.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm not a fan of the idea mainly because we already have something like it.

We have mission replay which means we can go back and complete missed accolades which gives us bonuses. Some even give new rewards that weren't obtainable before. Basically it is what you are describing. There really is no need to create a whole reincarnation system for it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
experienced players already help out the lower levels, i don't realy like the idea because it would limmet avalible content and items/ships. and anything involving Q is a no in my books
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
experienced players already help out the lower levels, i don't realy like the idea because it would limmet avalible content and items/ships. and anything involving Q is a no in my books
This should have no effect on available content in any way since once you hit max level you would basically just set your level back to 1 again and start over with a small bonus based on your previous life.

Also I was just throwing an idea out there about Q, maybe starfleet has come up with some technology that allows them to beam your current knowledge back into an older self or something weird like that. I am sure there is enough technobabble to cover this and stranger things have happened in star trek.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Frankly, I see no useful way to come up with *any* useful explanation for this canon-wise. And personally, I think the DDO reincarnation system is horrible and frustrating. Making me level the same character over and over and over (etc.) again for the sake of getting some very small bonuses... I'd rather just level an alt when I get bored.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshcu View Post
Also I was just throwing an idea out there about Q, maybe starfleet has come up with some technology that allows them to beam your current knowledge back into an older self or something weird like that. I am sure there is enough technobabble to cover this and stranger things have happened in star trek.
Sorry, but *that* explanation would "nuke the fridge" in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
i like the idea, of being able to pick another class and in essence start over with a bonus. However, i think it should be limited to one, and a max of two lifetimes, that way we can explore the other classes on a single toon and maximize our potential. 10 reincarnations per class is just excessive. Also, the small 1% boosts are too small. It would work, with the 10 lifetimes you described, but by limiting it to one or two, would require slightly larger boosts. I would also like to see select skills from our previous life continue into the new one. So, a tactical that reincarnates as a Science, would get the benefits of a science officer, with a few skills and bonuses from the tactical. It will expand variety, by expanding the variety in class choice. There could also be a special mission that you would have to complete in order for this to happen. I was playing wth the idea of leaving Starfleet and then returning as the new class, but you're suggestion to use Q would be much more interesting. Kinda like the episode where Picard died on the operating room table and Q gives him a second chance to fix one of his greatest regrets. Only our option would be much more permanent.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
i like the idea, of being able to pick another class and in essence start over with a bonus. However, i think it should be limited to one, and a max of two lifetimes, that way we can explore the other classes on a single toon and maximize our potential. 10 reincarnations per class is just excessive. Also, the small 1% boosts are too small. It would work, with the 10 lifetimes you described, but by limiting it to one or two, would require slightly larger boosts. I would also like to see select skills from our previous life continue into the new one. So, a tactical that reincarnates as a Science, would get the benefits of a science officer, with a few skills and bonuses from the tactical. It will expand variety, by expanding the variety in class choice. There could also be a special mission that you would have to complete in order for this to happen. I was playing wth the idea of leaving Starfleet and then returning as the new class, but you're suggestion to use Q would be much more interesting. Kinda like the episode where Picard died on the operating room table and Q gives him a second chance to fix one of his greatest regrets. Only our option would be much more permanent.
The only reason I wanted it to be a lot is so people would have something to do. It would also justify making rare lower tier items that you normally outlevel too quickly. Fewer reincarnates would be fine with me, I was just looking at something to give people some kind of goal and reason to play more of the existing content and I figured it would make the game more active across level ranges.

Yeah the reason I thought of Q was because of that episode.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea. More depth to the character progression (not necessarily through reincarnations) will not harm in general. I also hope that the duty officer system is going address this.