Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Now that they did an overhaul on systems and all they made a nice game but my only wish is PLEASE inprove ground combat !!?? How wel put some down right here ......

1. Duck
2. Take cover
3. Beam them directly to ships prison
4. Voices
5. Tactics ( to ambush the ennemy )
6. Climb walls
7. Side to side transporters
8. Better use off tricoders

Well hope im not the only one that would like to improve Ground combat because what ever time we are in shields or not no startrek movie as i can recall enemy stand over each other and try to shoot someone down . O I do recall one game Startrek Away Team
So if you like one off the options make you statement on it or vote if we can make this big they maybe like to change it otherwise I'm the only one out here .....
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
they are working on a new ground combat system scheduled for the season 4 upgrade
Lt. Commander
# 3 Ok Friend
02-10-2011, 04:22 AM
It's a big list but what I said is not listed my friend .
I did't or maybe overlooked but I'm positive they din't describe :

Climbing, Duck, Seek Cover, Ambush, Side to side transportation if batle is no option flee.

They did a lot off stuff allready but it would be nice and I have to see it first . Than believe it.

They promised a lot also on the stoked series and not all comes out as they promise .
Because it is't posible or expansive whatever.
Just like to make an list and see how manny users agree and maybe they do somting with that .
Lt. Commander
# 4 Repair content
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Some ships shoot true interior or boxes.....
Like that snake that can do damage with his brain I thought take cover for an while well no mather he hit me annyway ???!!!! Are you sure those walls are titanium scotty ????

Also stupid Sword masters no offence Im also klingon my self but the get you from far distance hold you slam there bathleth boom they do it couple of times and they slaughterd my whole crew ......

Also Starbase 24 sucks you think your done allready new load off klingons are beaming in 5 against 25 is't realy fair I would like to wave the white flag if I had one....

No one uses PVP anny more Why is it still in the game ?????

Now they changed a lot and some times is just perfect but lot off combat has to be changed they have a verry big job there !!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
A combat system similar to Mass Effect 2 or Rainbow Six Vegas would be a great improvement
Lt. Commander
# 6 From what I did read !!!
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Well I read in the Q & A List they allready have an super ground combat comming up.
But when they put it up I have't a clue .
if it is within the next patch or with the next season I don't lnow all they said i was more then awesome.
So I gues we have to wait until you see it on the test server. ( Trible )
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
honestly i think the missing elements in ground combat, well all combat, is basic physics engine is lacking. any physics element in the game has to be specifically placed. it is really evident in the pvp combat. the interest level is missing.. it feels repetitive because it is.

one of the elements in most of my favorite games was diversity in unexpected outcomes created by the environmental and interactive physics. halo reach pvp is fun because if you intend to do something simple, something crazy may happen. i remember my friend took out an air vehicle, a piece of the exploding vehicle flew down, and unexpectedly took out a guy who was trying to snipe him from behind. soo funny and unexpected.
i remember goldeneye where you could use a sniper rifle to blow up a proximity mine to strategically take out your enemy. or use proximity mines together to create a chain reaction to make a bigger and trailed explosion. these elements make those games interesting, especially in multilayer, which kept people coming back for more.

the biggest steps this game could take is to diversify the physics engines so that these things can happen
Example:

a specific rock can explode when it takes a hard impact or shot at. now, you can, as a gorn, lift and throw it, using it as a projectile bomb. you can blow it up and shoot it. if you are strong enough, or if it is small enough, you can roll a bunch in a pile, blocking a doorway and use them as a bomb, or blockade. maybe you are on a low gravity planet, and then you can "kick" it (or as a gorn, throw it) a long distance, taking out your enemy. maybe the atmosphere contains an explosive gas. now the explosion is larger

there is a pile of rocks up on a hill. you can bomb them so they come down on your enemy, use them to block the path on a ravine. instead of a bomb, maybe you can use a sonic pulse to

causing a snow avalanche could be cool

allowing a miss element to weapons, you accidentally hit a tree. the tree cuts in half and takes out your enemy. or a group of bushes catch fire and they get caught in it (or perhaps they did it themselves)

you plow up the tree or a console with a bomb. the shrapnel causes injury in an area

a crystal rock is near your enemy. you shoot your energy weapon at it.. it disperses the weapon beam in all directions, taking out anything in the radius. it misses the bad guy, but all the trees in the area get sliced and they topple on your enemy. his buddy sees what you are doing, brings his sonic pulse and uses it near the crystal. sonic pulses shatters crystal rocks, taking out your advantage.

a lot of this stuff could add interest in space too. using tractor beams on asteroids in space would work differently than if they were used on a gravity environment on ground..

it could be cool if you could discover new elements to physics in your environment by scanning random objects and finding that a particular object has a physics trait. I.E. scan a smoking rock, and you discover this new rock has an explosive element. (or just learn the hard way lol)

how you and your equipment interacts with the environment, and each other would add an immensely greater interest to the game, as well as add the star trek feel to it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter1978

1. Duck
2. Take cover
3. Beam them directly to ships prison
4. Voices
5. Tactics ( to ambush the ennemy )
6. Climb walls
7. Side to side transporters
8. Better use off tricoders

Couldn't agree with you more on #8; the tricorder system and ship scanning needs an overhaul, in fact, it should be the next one coming up. As for the rest, ground combat is going to change soon, so lets see.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2011, 03:38 AM
I think they should at least remove getting injuries from just dying. I think you should only get injuries when respawning, and if you get CPRed then you dont get penalized, because it seems like something you should be rewarded for.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm definately in the minority here but i absolutely love STO's ground combat: it's so much more varied than the space combat and really makes you think about how you're going to get through a mission and about how you'll approach each encounter.

The expose and exploit system is great and really makes you think about which weapons you will bring along. It makes things more tactical and forces you to really look at an entire enemy group and choose your target carefully. However, almost all expose weapons whether AoE or single target have the same expose chance per shot- this means that if you want to be an exposer you really have little choice- you take an AoE gun, with long range and low cooldown- something like a dual pistol or a full auto assault. Single target exposes really need a much higher chance to expose as currently there's not much point bringing them along unless you want their other effects.

This same situation is seen over and over again with weapons: high damage weapons like the sniper rifle or split beam rifle are hugely popular becasue with their high damage they have the max range available and reasonable cooldowns on their alternate shots. While there are many weapon types available you really have little choice in general combat as there are obviously superior guns and the only time it's a good idea to deviate is in the STFs where a knockback or a stun becomes more beneficial than outright damage. A look at weapon effectiveness would be welcome to make it a really deep choice as to which weapon you bring along- especially look at melee weapons they just don't add much of an advantage except against the borg and undine. I do like the varying kinds of AoE effect- it really makes it hard to master different types of weapons and failing to use it correctly can get you or a team killed.

The flanking and positioning aspect of the game adds a lot of depth and i really wouldn't change anything about this other than increasing the effectiveness of roots/ stuns. By that i mean stop them doing nothing to certain mobs as currently they are the only ones you'd ever NEED to use the posistioning tactics against and they are the only ones you cannot "force" into a disadvantageous position. Outside this it's brilliant that STO's variety of enemies makes you think about whether to stay still or run around, whether to crouch or stand, whether to engage at a chockpoint or out in the open based upon their weapon preferences and skills. Perhaps increase the health and damage output of mobs to make positioning a vital part of ground combat instead of something that simply speeds it up?

A good way to change the aggro level you or your boffs are taking would be good too- currently all enemies in a group attack the first character to shoot at that group and then peel off depending on who's shooting them. This works reasonably except when playing agaisnt really high damaging or CC heavy factions where it can lead you to just becoming frustrated at dieing or being heald near permanantly. If you could manage aggro better you could create greater depth and even throw up a "you distract them while i go for the objective" style tactic. Good player-teams can do this fantastically and i love playing with my fleet mates as we change aggro around if we need a respite: it does help that players can out damage BOs massively too as this really speeds combat up: consider upping BO damage?

Using the environment works wonders against tough enemies and bosses and your line of sight/ range and cover mechanics work together to create an exceptional blend of tactics for dealing with heavy damage. However, in open air maps especially the environment that you can use to hide and regenerate shields or avoid a one/two shot kill attack is fairly far from where you spawn enemies so use of these assets is not immediately obvious. Also your BO's do not take advantage of this much and if they did, not only would it help reinforce that battle is dangerous but you may also show players that this is possible and a good way to deal with such bosses (the obvious one springing to mind now is the one at the end of breen mission 1 with his charged cold attack- running behind cover can save your team from a wipe)

Ground targeting needs to change badly: this is the single worst thing in my mind when it comes to ground combat. It may not be as obvious in the more static PvE game, but in PvP it soon becomes a nightmare to accurately target anyone as they dash for cover, hide behind spawns and try to move around to flank you. Adressing this would make PvP feel less chaotic and make PvE even more enjoyable than it already is.

Overall ground combat is my favourite part of the game and i love doing it: just improve targeting, make weapon choices more worthwhile, improve on the already excellent mechanics; perhaps make them more necessary and keep adding the variety to the races fought: devidians, klingons and borg are all high points with their unique strategies that force you to think when fighting them- perhaps make it more obvious what each race can do though so you can better prepare yourself.

edit: Wfs's ideas are intriguing and i'd be all for adding interaction with the environment in some way to gain more of an advantage than it already lets you.