Lt. Commander
# 1 One mob too many?
02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
How many mobs would you say is too many. I want to give the feeling that the player is in a Borg facility but I don't want them having to spend two hours fighting their way through. I have already made the fighting optional by not making any set goal to be to fight the Borg, but they are most likely going to have to either way. I have also made sure all of the mobs are LT & Ensign mobs to make them a little easier.

What are your thoughts? How many mobs is too many?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2011, 09:06 AM
One other thing you could do would be to reskin a neutral mob (like a targ) to appear as a Borg. They won't fight and you animate them to walk around. Mix those in with real borg (that fight) and you'll have numbers but not have to fight all of them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2011, 05:00 PM
That would be simple enough. Are Targ direct aggro? If they otherwise leave the mob alone, the mob will leave you alone but if you attack the mob it'll attack you?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejak
One other thing you could do would be to reskin a neutral mob (like a targ) to appear as a Borg. They won't fight and you animate them to walk around. Mix those in with real borg (that fight) and you'll have numbers but not have to fight all of them.
Thats a really good idea!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
That would be simple enough. Are Targ direct aggro? If they otherwise leave the mob alone, the mob will leave you alone but if you attack the mob it'll attack you?
If you use a standard Targ, it shouldn't aggro at all and will be unattackable... although I'd test to make sure Borg don't attack it.

If you use an enemy Targ, it will aggro everything and the mob will use a headbutt/lunge/bite attack that does a bite bleed effect.

One solution might be to make the entire mission take place on raised platforms aboard Borg who are milling about and set invisible walls completely around the platform. The result is that the player will see lots of Borg but will be unable to interact with them unless they have a TR-116 phaser rifle.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2011, 09:18 AM
it does somewhat depend on how big the map is and what you have o do on it.

sometime you can put groups on the outskirts just for people who wnat to fight them but in terms of actual fights you really need or will be forced into i would say 6 is absolute maximum.

the best way is to break it up

fight 3
scan something
fight 2
have some storyline
fight 1

that way is feels less grindy.

however kill 0/6 is not something anyone wants to see, so just try to keep in original. if the story and mission objectives are fun you can get away with more mobs if you absolutely have to or make some optional.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Have a "detectable" path that avoids most Borg, and don't have a Kill objective.

I think anything more then 6 enemies on a ground or space map is usually meh, unless you bring in allies perhaps. (Which I think only really works in space.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I like bringing in allies in space for large engagements... most I have on ground is an 8 group encounter, but they are in an arena challenge scenario where the player starts them when ready... so they are prepared with no time limit in-between for cool-downs to reset... it is supposed to be a grind and a challenge, but not all at once.. This might qualify as "Too Much", but I like it alot... and it is the final challenge to win the Orion Queen in my last episode of the 6 mission story-arc...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Using the neutral Targ and reskinning it will work. Actively hostile borg mobs also wont attack the borg/targ, although it would still be good to have battles happen away from these neutrals as they wont fight at all, possibly breaking immersion.

Id also point out that after you've reskinned it, you can have them wander to walk around, but you can also give them some of the borg related animations, like borg weld, so they look like they're working.

I wonder what did the devs do to get those non-hostile borg in the mission Assimilated. Its better than what we can do, they attack if you attack them but leave you alone if you dont.