Lt. Commander
# 11
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
I suggested something similar here. (please don't rez that thread; it's old).

Basically, I called reverse engineering "reclaiming" since it's easier to type in chat.

Here's a mock-up from back then.
Lt. Commander
# 12 Reclaim Items for Schematics
02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
I completely agree. I really liked the way the old crafting system allowed you to use an item as the basis for crafting a more advanced version of that item. It's very annoying and difficult to advance in crafting skills now because of the need to collect and spend basic anomalies. I don't see why I can't simply use a common item of the same level in combination with the appropriate specific anomalies to craft an item in lieu of having the schematic. I always felt that knowing what common items were "craftable" and therefore potentially more valuable and worth saving was part of the art of crafting. Having to grind away to collect mounds of low level anomalies for the sake of crafting is just plain boring.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
/signed as long as "recycling" items dont garner 100% returns. Maybe closer to 50%...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I would point out that....well at least the federation, they pretty much recycle everything, one way or another, whether by feeding back into a common or industrial replicator or recycling it conventionally if its non-replicable. Thats why discarding stuff gives us 'Energy Credits', because we turned it back to energy.

THAT SAID....this is a good idea for alternative anomaly collection
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
It's a nice enough idea.

If there's one thing I would add it would be to have different options as the result, specifically varying levels of anomalies.

One of the problems with the system in place is that most of the areas to gather samples are level banded. So, for instance, when you're going after Emblems the anomalies you're collecting might not be the ones you want (especially if you were already a high level klingon before crafting was implemented for them).

Essentially, instead of giving a result based on the crafting requirement of the item, give a series of general options from which to chose based on the type of the item, mark level and quality. Have these choices drawn from all the various levels of data samples, with a chance at rare anomalies, and have the number of individual samples given reflect the level of the sample itself (so breaking down a Mk.X phaser array would generally net you more low level red anomalies than it would high level violet).

This way you'll have an alternative way to somewhat reliably gain lower level samples without endlessly farming spots like Delta Volanis.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
If they can turn poop into food and boots (ENT) then they can reverse engineer this stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Meh, be nicer if it was a bit more "Trek-like". and less "Eve-like".

This is pretty much the system used in EvE Online - take a base item, reverse-engineer and experiment on it in a lab, and MAYBE you get a limited-run production blueprint for the next level (T2) version of that item. T2 version are higher-performance but have higher requirements to compensate. Chance opf failure at ovtaining the T2 blueprint is about 15%, and the number of T2 items that can be produced is always less than 20, usually around 10.

I'm glossing over a lot of details here (and if it's EvE-related, the devil is ALWAYS inthe details ) - to me the system just doesn't feel like Trek though. This is the 25th century (suppsedly), for Chrissakes - science and thinking have progressed to the point that all you need is the knowledge that it's possible to be able to make it - not just be able to make copies of existing - make it unique.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2011, 11:23 PM
This is generally how they do it in CO; and I greatly prefer to that hunting anomalies, personally ><
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.
That's a... silly argument. The ship bits and ground equipment we pick up are technological items manufactured from discrete components. Presumably standardized and replaceable components within their own tech base, since I don't see how a technological civilization could reach and implement large-scale space travel without replaceable parts *shudder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.
I fully concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
They reverse engineer your poo into the food you eat via the replicator.
Which is just taking a shortcut on the natural process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Meh, be nicer if it was a bit more "Trek-like". and less "Eve-like".
I think you completely misunderstood the proposal, which is nothing like reverse engineering as exists in Eve. It is more like - or rather exactly like - recycling looted trash items into their component materials and parts for industrial reuse.

However, I do find myself thinking that only green+ items should be able to be taken apart in this way, because they're 'unusual' rather than fully standardized. Crafting isn't about raw materials in STO. It's about sticking unusual things into normal designs to make them better than normal, which is why the original system required assembled common components.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post

However, I do find myself thinking that only green+ items should be able to be taken apart in this way, because they're 'unusual' rather than fully standardized. Crafting isn't about raw materials in STO. It's about sticking unusual things into normal designs to make them better than normal, which is why the original system required assembled common components.
This.

Personally i like the idea and a sub 70% return on green items or higher would add a nice new layer to crafting imo.