Lt. Commander
# 31
02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
kind of like, when you defeat a ship, why can't you loot it rather than blow it up and hope that something that doesn't blow up, is usefull.
i agree with what you say.
if all those components are required to make an object, couldn't you reverse engineer it to get at least some of them back
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
This is something I have been wanting for awhile now.

Agreed that you would not get the same amount that went into an item.

Purples would possibly yield a particle trace.

Also there are many other fun possibilities here. like adding rare unknown technologies that drop within exploration systems. Reverse Engineering these items would be like studying them to see what they are and how they work. Reverse Engineering an unknown tech item would do one of two things (A) drop knew anomalous data not found anywhere else along with some common ones. (B) have a chance to drop a schematic for a new craftable item that requires this new anomalous data to create. Crafting this Item would add it permanently to your R&D.

This is a a great way to introduce new crafting items to the game. instead of just adding them to R&D you need to go out into the exploration areas to find them. And will be one more thing to help make exploration and crafting a little better.

STFs - there could be unknown Borg tech items that drop randomly within the STF's that when reverse engineered can help you upgrade your weapons to assimilated weaponry. I know they have been looking into adding weapons to Borg assimilated sets this would be a perfect way to do it. And yet again give a whole new reason to run these STF's.

I feel there should also be a leveling bar for reverse engineering. Only a top level reverse engineer can reverse engineer unknown Technologies.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know if the Devs have made any comments about REing anywhere? Just curious to know what they think on this.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
honestly there was a comment just in the past few weeks (it may have been the ask cryptic) that said basically that it may seem like a good idea but they were not looking into it at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Q: Powerhelm: Will Uncommon, Rare, etc, items be capable of being broken down with a chance to receive a rare particle and/or crafting supplies?

A: During the last memory alpha update, I mentioned that we were looking into a salvage/deconstruction option for items. Right now the data does not exist on our items to allow this, but it is something I could see us doing in the future. It would certainly be better for some players than replicating the item into energy credits.