Lt. Commander
# 21
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'm working on the Engineering Report now, but wanted to share this tidbit -

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

We talked about doing something like this at launch, but at the time we felt there were better clients out there than what we could get in game. Now that we've had time to investigate, we feel this will offer a great solution for players who want in the box integrated voice chat.
THANK GOD!
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I've never been a big fan of the whole 'player crew' idea, but I think I wouldn't mind the idea the OP is posing would be interesting, if only for one STF or whatever. I think that the hardest part would be finding a way to decide who would be in charge/captain (I think that's the main reason Cryptic never implemented it in the first place), but it would still be kind of interesting to do for one mission only, though.

Quote:

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

We talked about doing something like this at launch, but at the time we felt there were better clients out there than what we could get in game. Now that we've had time to investigate, we feel this will offer a great solution for players who want in the box integrated voice chat.
w00t! Engineering Report!

As for Vivox and in-game voice, I'm kind of glad that you guys are doing it. I just hope they've learned from their dealings with Eve and have improved since then (I know their site says that it's been a great success, but I remember it being pretty awful in the beginning). It's a good thing for those who want it, but I'll probably stick to using Vent (like I did with Eve, even when they added in-game voice).

But, who knows? Maybe it will be as good as or better than what I'm currently using, and I'll end up using it (especially if the menu and options are good/easy to use). I'll at least try it out.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:
As much as you may dream at night about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhdVqDT1g

in theory - it would be extremely frustrating as a player to rely on other people - who are not in the same room - to communicate and figure out WTF is going on, especially when you only have access to one subsystem.

If you are looking for that experience - I highly suggest looking into Artemis instead, well at least for 2:33 until your ship explodes and everything devolves into silliness.
*laughs* Well said, well said.

Regards,
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
As much as you may dream at night about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhdVqDT1g

in theory - it would be extremely frustrating as a player to rely on other people - who are not in the same room - to communicate and figure out WTF is going on, especially when you only have access to one subsystem.

If you are looking for that experience - I highly suggest looking into Artemis instead, well at least for 2:33 until your ship explodes and everything devolves into silliness.
I think it could work as an isolated gameplay experience that people can replay, as much as I agree it would be tedious as the default system. (And you'd have arguments over whose ship gets used.)

If you look at traditional raiding in MMOs, it involves people breaking up into groups to perform various tasks that can be very "whack-a-mole"-esque.

As I envision it here, you'd beam aboard a third party ship, preferably the Enterprise herself, to find the crew compromised and the ship boarded. You'd fight your way to take back sections of the ship...

And then you'd actually get to perform roles at the various stations. You wouldn't have tactical view because the sensors are scrambled, forcing you, for once, to play your respective stations.

I think it would be awful as a repeated mechanic or for casual gameplay.

But the idea of doing it just once aboard the Enterprise seems like it's worthy of an STF, as it's all raid mechanics, effectively. And people who want to play like that can replay that one example of it. I think the frustration would make for an STF-worthy challenge and give people one chance to do that while illustrating how tedious it would be for normal encounters.

Using it once would illustrate your point for you... and doing it aboard the Enterprise herself would give people that iconic Trek feel.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
A few years ago, some group at our local convention was thinking of taking Bridge Commander and doing it like in that video. (Austin has alot of programming nerds.) They said they were gonna run it as a demonstration the next year, but it must not have panned out. Never saw them listed as doing a demonstration the following year. Or any subsequent one.

And on intergrated voice channel... yay!
Blizzard tried it on WoW. It sucked a lot and they turned it off about a week later.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracounguis
A few years ago, some group at our local convention was thinking of taking Bridge Commander and doing it like in that video. (Austin has alot of programming nerds.) They said they were gonna run it as a demonstration the next year, but it must not have panned out. Never saw them listed as doing a demonstration the following year. Or any subsequent one.
Just as a side note FASA, did it as a table top P&P option for their Star Trek RPG, way back in the day......
Lt. Commander
# 27 This is a big deal
02-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Adding in-game voice chat to STO is a big improvement to the game. It makes playing a PUG in pvp or STFs much more viable than before. No having to read out an IP, hope everyone in the group has the same voice client, and wait for everyone to get added in. Everyone has a button they can push to join voice chat from the beginning, at least I hope it will work like that.

I can see lots of uses for this with fleets as well. Great decision; hope it works out well.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:

While I appreciate the gesture, to be honest, Vivox is used in SWG and is very bug ridden, it has seldom worked right since they added it a few years ago. It also adds more bloat to the already large game. I wish you guys had left TeamSpeak/Vent as the solution for those who want this and not made the rest of us download the Vivox software with the rest of the game. A lot of people do not like to use voice chat. Those that do could simply download free software that works well and use it if they wished.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Quote:

I always like having more options but I don't like using voice chat and wish I wasn't going to be forced to download this as part of the game. If I wanted voice chat I'd get TS or Vent. Voice chat absolutely kills roleplay and in a fleet with hundreds of members, it's not going to be fun with dozens talking over each other at once and hearing people's music etc. I realize you will be able to turn it off in game, but you still have to download it as part of the game even if you don't want it and that's a negative aspect of this.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeidan
I always like having more options but I don't like using voice chat and wish I wasn't going to be forced to download this as part of the game. If I wanted voice chat I'd get TS or Vent. Voice chat absolutely kills roleplay and in a fleet with hundreds of members, it's not going to be fun with dozens talking over each other at once and hearing people's music etc. I realize you will be able to turn it off in game, but you still have to download it as part of the game even if you don't want it and that's a negative aspect of this.
I wouldn't worry about that at all. Voice chat apps are incredibly tiny, efficient little packages. You won't notice it I assure you.