Lt. Commander
So, we had a lively and unneccessary aggressive discussion on Beam Fire At Will. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules now by revisiting the original topic by giving some actual statistics that Nagorak assembled and PMed me after I asked if he had them. I quote him with his permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak
Yes, the skill acts differently with BAs and DBBs. I've put in a bug report in the game (actually put in a number of bug reports for different things), but I'm actually not sure whether the in-game bug reports even get read. The only success I've really had in getting any bugs fixed has been complaining about them in the forums. I was planning on following up with a bug post, but have not gotten around to it yet.

Anyway, for Beam Arrays the damage scaling (including the 25% faster fire rate) is 26%/35%/45%.

For Dual Beam Banks it is: 21%/57%/94%.

This is actually reflected in the powers window, however there is a second bug with the BFAW and DBBs, and that is that the values listed are based on the character's level, rather than the equipment mark of the weapon. So, if you don't have exactly the right weapon mark for your level, then the info listed there will be wrong.

Because of the bizarre fact that both weapon types didn't scale the same way, and that the power display was obviously bugged on DBBs, I actually ran a combat test to verify what the actual scaling numbers were.

Here is a summary of my combat log results for testing BFAW on both beams and dual beams (ignore the DPS figures and just look at the average damage amounts): http://www.members.cox.net/nagorak/BFAW.txt

Remember that in addition to the adjusted damage, BFAW also causes you to fire 5 times instead of 4, which increase damage by an additional 25% over the listed damage figures.

The scaling numbers are also listed in my DPS calculator program. If you select the skill BFAW, in the skill level box it will list the bonuses for both weapons at each ability rank.
These numbers don't seem to make much sense to me. Note that he's basically calculating single-target damage. I would argue a higher overall damage boost then from CRF is somewhat justified as single-target damage is just an ideal scenario, but the differences betweem DBB and BA make little sense (and if anything, I'd say BAs would need a bigger boost since the single-target scenario is highly unlikely for them...). (And of course, when comparing CRF and BFAW, we have to consider that CRF is a Lt. level skill, and BFAW is Ensign level.)

In case you get confused by all the numbers: BFAW does two things: It adds one additional single beam shot to your attack, which raises the damage by 25 %. It also adjusts the individual damage of each shot. The values 26%/35%/45% and 21%/57%/94% describe the combined effect of the buff.
(And the values indicate that Dual Beam Banks get a small damage debuff per shot at Tier I, and more significant buffs per shot as the rank increases.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2011, 04:28 AM
the biggest difference i notice, and i might well be in error here is that FAW never seems to miss. I notice BO miss (a lot) and with CRF i see strins of misses even at close range, can't say i have noticed BFAW miss, and this on a che that doesn't have ACC as a passive trait. Perhaps your advisor could tests the miss rates with his parse program
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
the biggest difference i notice, and i might well be in error here is that FAW never seems to miss. I notice BO miss (a lot) and with CRF i see strins of misses even at close range, can't say i have noticed BFAW miss, and this on a che that doesn't have ACC as a passive trait. Perhaps your advisor could tests the miss rates with his parse program
They do miss... Particulary at long range with the target at evasive... You might not see it so often simply because the shots happen so fast, the misses get lost in the hits spam.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Hey, Nagorak is not my "advisor"! He's just the cool guy behind the DPS Calculator application that apparantly manages his forum to game time relation better then I do. (I think he does have someone else to help him make these tests, possibly as the victim of all the damage he needs to dish out for statistics)

I would assume that the damage numbers would reflect hits & misses over time as well and averagized out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
They do miss... Particulary at long range with the target at evasive... You might not see it so often simply because the shots happen so fast, the misses get lost in the hits spam.
Oh well that's ok then, as long as they miss at long range when the targert is running evasives i guess that gives them an equal miss rate along with every other wpn power up/type.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2011, 06:26 AM
IMO, the simplest solution would be to set BAs and DBBs to get an equal boost from BFaW. My personal reccomendation would be something along the lines of:

All numbers reflect single target damage including the boost from increased fire rate.

FaW 1: 20% damage boost
FaW 2: 40% damage boost
FaW 3: 60% damage boost

This should probably (not knowing the code architecture) be a relatively simple change.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Is anyone else confused as to why DBBs and Beam Arrays don't get the same boost from FAW?

Turrets, Cannons, Dual Cannons, and Dual Heavies all get the same boost from C:RF/C:SV (afaik), so why should DBBs benefit more than Beam Arrays with FAW?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Is anyone else confused as to why DBBs and Beam Arrays don't get the same boost from FAW?

Turrets, Cannons, Dual Cannons, and Dual Heavies all get the same boost from C:RF/C:SV (afaik), so why should DBBs benefit more than Beam Arrays with FAW?
Yes, that's basically the reason why I even bothered to post it, and why Nagorak put it in as bug report. It doesn't make sense, there must be something wrong.

I could maybe see a point if it was the opposite way - Single Beam Arrays getting a higher damage buff ,simply because due to their large firing arc it is not likely they will ever hit only one target. But that's not how it is.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Possibly because a BA is a single beamarray whilst the DBB are doubled up meaning that when one FAWS there are a more beams being fired by the DBB.

Double the beam outout = double the bonus?

MY question is; DO the DBBs still have a smaller Firing arc when FAWing?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2011, 08:42 AM
the DBBs have a much smaller firing arc when firing 'downwards', and have less firing arc 'upwards' too but not as much... so if someone start FAW'ing at you, close in and fly up/down