Lt. Commander
Or do they "kill you" then reconfigure your exact being upon materializing? (meaning you have no soul)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2011, 10:28 AM
That's what the Heisenberg compensator is for, otherwise, when you made it to the planet, you'd just be a flesh eating zombie

Brrrraaaaiiiinnnnsss!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I tear a new soul from the first person I meet after being transported by phasoring them in the face.

*edit* +1
Also not sure but it feels like this thread will end up violating forum rule number 11.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
This has been discussed in soft canon (where the answer has generally been yes the animating consciousness or what have you goes with the transporter beam) but examples of "transporter clones" have happened in hard ans soft canon (e.g.Thomas Riker), so I imagine that it depends on what the writer needs for a given story.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I prefer to just not think about it. The whole subject gives me a headache.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I prefer to just not think about it. The whole subject gives me a headache.
Would it make you feel better if I told you that Gene was atheist and didn't really care about it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I have rationalized the fact that I can die on an away mission and come back a few moments later to be the result of a transporter 'accident'. Essentially my ship is crewed my an army of clones of me. When one dies, the next oldest one is promoted.

And we are all soulless mass murders who never take prisoners.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I have rationalized the fact that I can die on an away mission and come back a few moments later to be the result of a transporter 'accident'. Essentially my ship is crewed my an army of clones of me. When one dies, the next oldest one is promoted.

And we are all soulless mass murders who never take prisoners.
That would explain what happened to Ceti Alpha 5
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
that all depends if you believe you have a soul. i cant say ive ever believed in that. i think we are just a collection of ones own memories.

now can they transport a person's memories exactly?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
You can hack the mind and create fake memories using electrical and/or chemical stimuli, despite those events never occurring.

So, what would happen when you beam someone up? Their physical states would be in-tact, as would their personality.

Now, if you had two "copies" - they begin to differ in personality immediately as the mind is a composite of several components.

In fact, if you remove the corpus callosum, you can have two brains operating at once (though with different functions in each). Our minds are, generally speaking, an amalgamation of two sets of inputs and decisions - hence the variability in choices.