Lt. Commander
# 121
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I've been loving and enjoying the game ever since it came out, you guys are doing a phenomenal job with everything! I got super excited while I was reading the Engineering report and this last Ask Cryptic! So many awesome things coming down the pipe, I can't wait. However, I do have a couple of questions and concerns that I'd like to throw at the team and see if I can get a response. Take care guys and let me know what you think of what I have here.

Is there any talk about adding a, for lack of a better word, "enchanting" system to the game, where depending on your profession you could enchant or enhance a particular object or device and add additional features/abilities/buffs/debuffs, etc? They could also have specific graphics or animations that go with the particular enchant also. It would then allow us to maybe go to our cybernetics lab on the ship and make some adjustments/enhancements to our kits/armour and weapons and make use of it outside of RP'ing. Also have the ability to do so with our ship equipment at a space station terminal as well. ESD you could do it in the ship requisition area and similar areas on other stations too.

When will we be seeing any kind of water splash and interaction effects in game? Kind of silly that no one has looked at that area of the game, I know that it's extremely minor but it would be a nice thing to see sometime!

Is there any talk about expanding the size and scope of the ground maps to maybe mirror those used in Champs? Those maps are huge and well populated and have a great design. Add some more forestry and shrubs grass etc in the wilderness. Make colonies and cities actually look like they are what they are, not a shanty town or mish mash of random buildings. Make a civilization.

Those are my concerns and questions. Thanks for the great game and keep up the good work!!
Lt. Commander
# 122
02-16-2011, 12:00 AM
There are two things I would like to comment on after reading the ask cryptic:

a) Skill tree
While I agree that the ship classes have to many very specialized options, I really want to highlight that I also like the rather complex and not linear system we have in STO. The choices do matter and have an impact. Please do not make it a boring linear profession progress (like so many other games). When you mentined this the SWG NGE cam to my mind. A game that used to have a great profession mix and match system suddenly converted into a boring clone of most other games. Please do not fall into the same category. However, fine tuning the skill tree system is not a bad idea.

b) Romulans
If you add anotehr faction please add it as a 3rd faction. I do not like the idea of the former Romulan Empire simply helping either the Klingons or the Federation. Please go all the way if you decide to add a faction or leave it as is (and improve the game play for the current two factions. The Romulans (just like the Borg) should not be allies of one side but add to the mix of possible factions.
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd84 View Post
Is there any talk about adding a, for lack of a better word, "enchanting" system to the game, where depending on your profession you could enchant or enhance a particular object or device and add additional features/abilities/buffs/debuffs, etc? They could also have specific graphics or animations that go with the particular enchant also. It would then allow us to maybe go to our cybernetics lab on the ship and make some adjustments/enhancements to our kits/armour and weapons and make use of it outside of RP'ing. Also have the ability to do so with our ship equipment at a space station terminal as well. ESD you could do it in the ship requisition area and similar areas on other stations too.
A related suggestion is to redo the "training" mechanic for BOs, so that you don't have to "trade" them to get training. From what I've heard, other games have a special slot in the trade window where you can place an item to let another player access it for enchants or trade skilling or whatever; but the other person never gets "possession" of the item, they're just able to see and work on it. This avoids scamming, and also lets you get un-tradeable and unique items enhanced (yes, Borg BO, I'm looking at you, my sad un-trainable friend). The mechanic still ensures that the enchant effect or whatever doesn't take effect until the trade is completed and both parties have accepted (i.e., you've paid for the work), and it avoids all the shenanigans that ensue from trying to "trade" items that are supposed to be bound to your toon. As it is now, it really, really sucks that we can't give a supposedly "premium" BO the skills we want.
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
A lot of great information from Dan this month. I should really go back into the archives now and see what else is in the works.

Meanwhile, something I'd like to see added to the C-Store - the ability to buy additional costume slots for Bridge Officers. I'm thinking we would pay a certain amount to add one slot for all Bridge Officers on an account (or, if necessary, all bridge officers tied to a certain character), not a per Bridge Officer fee. I'd love to have a second costume I could switch my bridge officers to.

Thanks! Loving my shiny new Lifetime Sub, BTW.
Lt. Commander
# 125
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirelli
Meanwhile, something I'd like to see added to the C-Store - the ability to buy additional costume slots for Bridge Officers. I'm thinking we would pay a certain amount to add one slot for all Bridge Officers on an account (or, if necessary, all bridge officers tied to a certain character), not a per Bridge Officer fee. I'd love to have a second costume I could switch my bridge officers to.
While you're at it, give us a sex change option for BOs also. I love some of the traits on the purple ones, but they make it really hard to keep my all-girl crew going when I can only find male ones with the stats I want.
Lt. Commander
# 126 Champions !!
02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
STO team i think it's about time you start thinking free to play.Even though i'm a life timer the champs system has won me over to them,i love star trek but the game is fizzing out at VA1 theres realy only weeklys to look forward to.don't get me wrong all the extra fluff has been great but after playing for a year to start on another avarter to do all the grind again go champs way and add some spice back.
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSEED View Post
STO team i think it's about time you start thinking free to play.Even though i'm a life timer the champs system has won me over to them,i love star trek but the game is fizzing out at VA1 theres realy only weeklys to look forward to.don't get me wrong all the extra fluff has been great but after playing for a year to start on another avarter to do all the grind again go champs way and add some spice back.
The content well is a bit shallow at endgame, but what "grind" there is seems quite light compared to some games. I've only been playing STO for about a month, and my first toon is VA1 and has mostly blue / purple Mk X or XI gear already, and had parts for a full Aegis set before I even realized I wanted one. The last game I played it took me well over a year and around 2,400 hours /played to get my first toon to end game; an experience I am unlikely to ever repeat in any game.

While I was leveling my first captain, I was almost frustrated that the leveling was too fast; just by doing explore missions and story lines, I would inevitably ding a new rank by the time I had gotten all my green consoles for my current rank. Even the drop rate on rare traces seems reasonable and is linear and predictable, unlike those games where you can farm something or do the same four-hour raid over and over for weeks on end and still wind up with nothing. It takes more work at VA1 than earlier levels, but even there you can still more or less get a purple piece of gear every day just from doing all the dailies and scanning all the anomalies you run across along the way. It's also, unlike in some games, totally possible to level and equip your toon doing nothing but straight PvP all day, if that's what you want. I probably won't do that with any of my captains, but I think it's a good thing that they made it so you can.

Cryptic also has demonstrated that they know how to do content well with all the lower level story line missions, so if lack of content is the biggest problem the game has at this point, then I forsee a very long run for it as they continue to crank it out. If it had major, glaring, unfixable fundamental flaws I'd be concerned about whether they could (or would) fix it. But as it stands now, I think they got all the big things right, and new content is just a matter of time.
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSEED View Post
I don't think it's fizzing - unless that refers to the sound of the server crash each of the two previous Saturdays. I don't disagree that the endgame needs more. Long overdue for new (and workable) STFs. I think that we gamers collectively ask that for most MMOs (WoW providing it pretty consistently and being a notable exception). Of course, as in all things, it's a matter of personal preference. I am enjoying leveling three more alts right now (including a Klink - finally - thank you 8-hr power boost) to finish my six-pack. And, one of my fleeties as well as three other ppl have made fantastic UGC eps!!

Mavar
Lt. Commander
# 129 Romulans
02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Romulans,

Ugh... The possible idea of the Romulans braking into factions, some joining the Federation, others the Klingons, does not still well in my "Romulan fanboy" mind. Here are a few reasons I would suggest cryptic not go this route.

1) Emotional Response (Romulus Restored) - The Romulan faction has already been hit hard with J. J. Abrams "great" idea to have the timeline be "epic" by blowing up the Romulan homeworld.

I personally, would love to see the timeline restored somehow, where Romulus comes back. One need only to think how many times earth was, or was about to be destroyed and Captain Archer, Kirk, or Picard had to go back in time to fix the problem. Why is it that only the Federation can do this? In reality, if we where following a correct timeeline, any of the above ones mentioned, earth would also not exist. So again, would it really be that difficult to bring Romulus back?

2) Home world - If the answer to the above is yes, it would be too difficult To bring back the actual Romulus homeworld, then the Romulan people should still have a home world. Yes, different factions might start to exist within the Romulan faction, but these same different ideologies are present in all the major factions (Federation, Klingon, Cardassians) as seen in many Star Trek T.V. episodes. If the "reunification" movement was so strong, one might argue (which I am) that the Section 31 Ideology would become as strong, changing the very fabric of the Federation ideology, leading to the federation becoming segregated factions, joining other larger factions. Different ideologies exist within all of the major factions and should be used to bring the people closer together, not further apart.

3) Romulan loyalty - To press the case further for the Romulan Empire staying together, and having a "home world", of some kind, would be the Romulan loyalty. Both the Klingon and Romulan people have a loyalty for their own, which has been written about in both Star Trek novels, and T.V. series. Take the novel "My enemy, my ally" in which the Romulan Captain works with Captain Kirk to destroy a Romulan research facility which would be counter productive to the greater Romulan society. When asked why she would do this, the Romulan captain states that although she will never be able to go back to Romulus (which she longs to do) she is saving the Romulan Society, by sacrificing her reputation, herself, and her crew, for the greator good.

4) Romulan Xenophobia - This attribute, which has characterized the Romulan faction since the beginnings of leaving Vulcan thousands of years prior for a desire to protect themselves, and be ready for anything, has also lead to Romulan loyalty. Xenophobia and loyality for the Romulan people go hand-in-hand. Romulans do at times learn to step out of Xenophobia, but only in loyalty to the Romulan people to help them in way the greater populace cannot yet see. All to say, with the destruction of their homeworld, and the empty promise by the Federation to help stop the wave, but failing...this should lead to more "Extreme Xenophobia" and loyalty, not less. For a race that already traveled far away from their home world once thousands of years ago due to different beliefs, I see it as a very distinct possibility of doing it again.
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar
Ugh... The possible idea of the Romulans braking into factions, some joining the Federation, others the Klingons, does not still well in my "Romulan fanboy" mind.
Agreed, although it might be hard to get enough Romulan players to make a viable 3rd faction.