Lt. Commander
# 131
02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
While this is a marked deviation from my usual stance, I have to admit that if Romulan PvE content was limited to a single repeatable mission that involved killing Section 31 operatives in various horrible ways, I might actually be satisfied.
Foundry idea!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 132
02-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
If the Romulan Empire collapses into a civil war, then I would not be surprised to see missions where Feds + Roms are fighting against KLG + Roms.

Or maybe even more specific than that...

Maybe it is Remans+Feds vs. Rom+Kdf+Hirogen

you can see - there are a lot of ways we can go with it... nothing is for certain... except that we want to focus back on the conflict between the Federation and KDF and adding a Romulan faction will play into that somehow...

well at least until the Iconians arrive to destroy everyone
the Remans-KDF seems like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vAy...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 133
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
i agree with the op
Lt. Commander
My Fav quotes and then some of my own, this really has been interesting reading folks:

Quote:
I'm suggesting that the Romulan Faction may have to at some point decide who they want to side with if they want to survive, much like they had to do in the dominion war. Maybe not all Romulans will make the same decision. Who's running the show anyway? Sela? Obisek? Hakeev? I bet you ask 10 romulans and you'd get a different answer each time.

And I haven't even started to talk about the Hirogen... who's controlling them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post

For all of the above .
Heh there you go indeed. ^^

Quote:
we want to focus back on the conflict between the Federation and KDF and adding a Romulan faction will play into that somehow...

You had to mention the Iconians now didnt you? ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
According to the story of Star Trek Online, there are some Romulans who feel that they should join the Federation but others feel they should continue to be independent.

What is being suggested is that, in the storyline the Romulans are a divided people. Some decide to join the Federation. Others decide to join the Klingons. Others decide to stay independent.
Not really sure this fits well with who the Romulans really are tbh with all that has happened to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
I don't like this, since Romulans have traditionally managed to put aside internal strife when facing an outward enemy. There has always been internal power games, and to some degree internal fighting, but when the outside world steps on the collective Romulan toes, that comes before any other consideration. Up to now it seems.

Did Romulan Xenophobia and cultural integrity explode with Romulus?
Yeah I agree alot with this sometimes I get the sense that the reams of ip about a fleshed out aspect of Star Trek is being or potentially being bulldozed over out of convenience. However in saying that tbh plenty already has in this game for right or wrong reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I remain of the opinion that the Empire will stabilize, much as it was before, or perhaps in a somewhat more feudal or conferderate system, with smaller "kingdoms" ruled by allied governors (not unlike the Federation, actually).
Yes if anything as a culture they would fall back on those cultural values under stress and insanity too as I a suspect there is plenty of that among them. Though I dont agree in fractious politics playing too heavily at this moment in their story but a huge and massive unification sweep by the main remaining military and political forces. They are extremely vulnerable to a point, they are seeking a way to tell every non- Romulan "Danger! Hands Off! Keep Out!" inorder to rally and consolidate asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
“Beware Romulans bearing gifts.”

Ideas are a dime a dozen, but here are few of mine. Their PVE story could be focused on.
  • Protecting their new home world a place renamed or newly founded.(New Romulus, Quirinus)
  • Rebuilding their Empire.
  • Protecting what is left their Empire from Federation and Klingon expansion.
  • Perhaps playing both Federation and Klingon sides from time to time.
  • Playing the factions against each other.
  • Their Alliance with the Hirogen.
  • Whatever conflict is happening with the Remans.
  • Finding out who or what was responsible for the destruction of Romulus.
I am not saying this is what you want to do, but I believe making Romulans into the alien trash of the galaxy as a convenience or even for story purposes is not the best way to go.
Nice ideas and I agree alot with your comments here especially the sense that the Romulans are kicked down and out for the count, being refugees scattered to the galaxy as a meek and begging lot. A Romulan would rather commit suicide than ever get into that situation. I was surprised I came across near begging Romulans in the Vault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond_Chandler
Romulus needed to Fall and Fall Hard to clean out the snake pit that the place had become. Now if only what's left can get itself in some form of order.

But the Klingons will be looking for payback against Romulan treachery, (It's not very wise to cultivate a image of oily snakes for your whole species. Tends to make others look at you as a threat to be removed), and will act accordingly with a wave of invasions to take back what they can.

Other Romulans, now out from under homeworld's boot, after a long look across the border and seeing the Federations light touch, will be falling all over themselves to get in. Whatever is left on Rator III will be a pocket empire at best, probably overrun by the Klingons as soon as they consolidate thier holdings in former romulan space.

Stick a fork in them. The Empire is done
Yeah there are two cool bits you wrote about that I'm inclined to agree with, the bit about the Romulans needing some space to consolidate and the bit about Klingons wanting to rip them apart and enslave what they can get their hands on.

If anything the REAL Front lines should have been drawn through Romulan space proper between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. What's stopping them? Romulan and Reman Military Assets ofc! They are by far not down and out!

Somewhere out there is probably one gigantic fleet of really hacked off Romulans slowly gathering their bloodied and bruised brothers and sisters together. Its all underground, cloaked, seething with hatred, anger and vengeance. Whatever they are going to do it most certainly is not going to be pretty. If it means signing your soul to some hellish devil inorder to see your vengence acted upon the galaxy then there's probably an element of their race just doing that now. ^^

Romulans in Star Fleet? I'd watch them like a hawk and think twice about giving them command of any military assets or secrets. Encourage them to settle on Vulcan maybe. ^^

The Federation can act all altruistic and set up refugee colonies but really if I were the top brass in Star Fleet I'd be watching, getting as much intel as I could on the growing situation there and waiting incase a swift repatriation of ex-Romulan citizens is needed. ^^

Romulans in the Klingon Empire? Most likely found chained up to a Targ kennel and left for dead or worse.

To reply in conclusion to DS's comments at the top: Do they really have to decide to ally with anyone and particularly out of the choices those two hated enemies of their past?!?

Careful research into the true essence of the Romulans in Star Trek will really give you an answer, some folks in this thread have really touched on it. Abrams' film for the 2009 Trek Universe has shown us a glimpse of this and its not very nice indeed. They are proud and passionate people torn between many traumas that have led them mostly into madness. I'd say you have a recipe for a very wrathful, hate filled and paranoid people who only trust true to what they know and seeking to remind the universe of just what that is!

Definitely give the Romulans in STO the justice to be played as a full bodied, well rounded playable race, never cut corners on them nor use them as a convenience for making something halfbaked. The fans deserve it and most definitely you would never hear the end of it, if it were the case.

Given how factions have been handled in STO its no wonder fans of the Romulans are jumpy of any hint or rumour, its understandable that your going to get alot of mileage out of threads like this too hehe. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 135
02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
According to the story of Star Trek Online, there are some Romulans who feel that they should join the Federation but others feel they should continue to be independent.

What is being suggested is that, in the storyline the Romulans are a divided people. Some decide to join the Federation. Others decide to join the Klingons. Others decide to stay independent.

This gives us the Romulan playable faction (the independent ones) and the ability to create Romulans in both the Federation and Klingon factions.

Its staying true to the story of Star Trek Online with the addition of some Romulans deciding to join the Klingons. Its actually a very simple solution and fits into the game very well.
This is the kind of stuff i wouldn't want happened. just like what they did with the kligons and the gorns. I say the should stay independent from the rest of the other factions.
Lt. Commander
# 136
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think now is the time for the Mirror Romulans to step up, maybe even absorb the Prime Universe Romulans into their Empire. They can use the Prime Universe Romulans' assets. They have a homeworld to offer them. They are likely politically almost identical and have been landlocked for two hundred years, first by the Terrans and then by the KCA. With those two forces now equally pitted rivals, the Mirror Romulans have a chance to tip the scales and be the kingmaker in their universe.

And to do that, why not absorb the regular Romulan refugees, their technology, their manpower, etc.

How wild would that be if THAT is how we got around to exploring the Mirror Universe?

The Prime Universe Romulans start disappearing. At first key figures but slowly and in batches. Their territory becomes a no man's land, another battleground for the Federation and Klingons and a hunting ground for the Hirogen, with nary a Romulan in sight.

And then, BOOM, the Romulans re-emerge with the Mirror Romulus as their new base, a restored people made whole by the integration of two universe's Romulans, intent on being the cautious kingmaker in both worlds.

Among other things, it gives Romulans a pretty dramatic starting point if their tutorial takes them from the brink of death as a scavenger in a collapsed empire to the Mirror Romulus where they get a somewhat insulated PvE experience while leveling, building up to a point where they get to play troublemaker in two universes.

It kinda fits with their logo in a brand new way of the phoenix clutching two worlds if they actually make the Mirror Universe their home and experience a rebirth there.

Maybe some stragglers stay behind and join the Feds or the Klingons but the bulk of the Romulan experience might well be a chance to explore the Mirror Universe as a refugee from the standard universe as the Romulans of the two worlds unite into an empire that spans two universes.

Also lets Cryptic go back and make that Romulus hub they started building years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
What about a good old faction system?

The Romulans would start as their own independent faction. After Commander or Captain, the choices that they have made start to impact their faction and favor. Maybe they stay antagonistic to both Klingons and Federation, maybe they befriend one.

Whatever happens, there should be a Romulan faction with complete ship and class progression.
Lt. Commander
# 138 I like this Idea!
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
If the Romulan Empire collapses into a civil war, then I would not be surprised to see missions where Feds + Roms are fighting against KLG + Roms.

Or maybe even more specific than that...

Maybe it is Remans+Feds vs. Rom+Kdf+Hirogen

you can see - there are a lot of ways we can go with it... nothing is for certain... except that we want to focus back on the conflict between the Federation and KDF and adding a Romulan faction will play into that somehow...

I think we should have playable Romulans, but maybe you then pick with it is a Federation Side or KDF Side Romulan. You are not a member of the respective side, but an ally.
Lt. Commander
# 139
02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Reading some of the responses, I think some of Dstahl's words need to be reiterated here. Specifically this.

Quote:
I'd caution everyone that without details, there is a lot of assumption going on. Details about what the Romulan faction will be when they are released is in the very TBD side of the design document. I realize that my comments strike fear in some that the Romulans will be just a Fed or KDF species - but seriously - you have to give me a little credit that I'm NOT trying to replicate the KDF incident. Those suggesting that I'm trying to shoe-horn in Romulan ships by adding them to the FED/KDF are purely speculating.

If the Romulan faction joins the game - you will start in your own area - and have your own storyline, etc...

My comment was more along the lines that at this point (and it will be better illustrated in the feature episode series Cloaked Intentions) there is is no central Romulan government and many survivers are forming their own alliances.

It could very well be that some Romulans might be sympathetic (con neutral) to Feds while some could be sympathetic (con neutral) to KDF. Perhaps not ALL Romulans will have the same agenda.
While where he might be going with some of these ideas, and keep in mind they are brainstorms at this point, is not clear. However, I think it is clear he does not intended to Gornify (yes its a word I made up) the Romulans. What he does intend might still not sit well with us, but let's at least work with the fact we have.
Lt. Commander
# 140
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
You *know* that Romulans represents a generous and helpful Empire, only going for that which serves all species and cultures beyond any selfish and immediate goals. Truly! To give freely from the bottom of the hearth, with a boundless and compassionate eagerness to care for all beings large and small, wherever they are! Oops... *Sarcasm detector overloads and generate black smoke*

---
lol- very nice.
Hey is that bridge for sale?