Lt. Commander
# 41
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
okay... so 1 pure romulan faction and 2 "renegade" romulan semi factions ? :S

confused.com better have a answer for this!
According to the story of Star Trek Online, there are some Romulans who feel that they should join the Federation but others feel they should continue to be independent.

What is being suggested is that, in the storyline the Romulans are a divided people. Some decide to join the Federation. Others decide to join the Klingons. Others decide to stay independent.

This gives us the Romulan playable faction (the independent ones) and the ability to create Romulans in both the Federation and Klingon factions.

Its staying true to the story of Star Trek Online with the addition of some Romulans deciding to join the Klingons. Its actually a very simple solution and fits into the game very well.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I think people are being very shortsighted with their whining about how they want a fully fledged romulan faction; the STO dev team is small, and we barely even have a fully functional klingon faction, and you want to split all of the content they make into an entire third faction? are you insane? it makes much more sense both in game design terms and in story terms that the romulans would be able to choose which faction to join on say their first mission or something. this would also give both the feds and KDF players a ton of new ships to fly (romulan ones), so it wouldn't just be new content for people rolling a romulan character, people that don't want to roll a romulan get access to it aswell, it's win-win for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
According to the story of Star Trek Online, there are some Romulans who feel that they should join the Federation but others feel they should continue to be independent.

What is being suggested is that, in the storyline the Romulans are a divided people. Some decide to join the Federation. Others decide to join the Klingons. Others decide to stay independent.

This gives us the Romulan playable faction (the independent ones) and the ability to create Romulans in both the Federation and Klingon factions.

Its staying true to the story of Star Trek Online with the addition of some Romulans deciding to join the Klingons. Its actually a very simple solution and fits into the game very well.
hmm would the "renegades" use their own ships or yoink the factions they've defected to? :O

awesome idea... lets the rommie fans play around some stuff
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Hrmm, hrmm, this could ead to some really interesting play, like been undercover in a different faction for some missions.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Cardassian True Way + Romulan Alliance.

Both would be factions of their respective peoples and would not represent the whole. Cardassia would still be an ally to the Federation and much of the Romulan remnants would not be involved.

More details in the old thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=185071
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't like this, since Romulans have traditionally managed to put aside internal strife when facing an outward enemy. There has always been internal power games, and to some degree internal fighting, but when the outside world steps on the collective Romulan toes, that comes before any other consideration. Up to now it seems.

Did Romulan Xenophobia and cultural integrity explode with Romulus? Only makes sense if 99% of all Romulans died, and only those on the most awkward and far reaching colonies survived. There will always be small groups exhibiting odd behavior, but that does not constitute a complete cultural reversal for entire dominant population segments.

To be honest, this sounds like an excuse to share content in some way or another, or to make things easier to switch around without any inhibitions, for it makes very little sense to dispose with the *strong* urge Romulans have to *avoid* contact with *alien* species otherwise.

What happened to faction flavor and integrity?? Is there something I am completely missing here, like a perfectly natural reason for huge groups of Romulans to dispose with their senses, and start to mingle with anyone knocking on the door, including their dog, or whatever they consider a pet?

---
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
IMO, before a new faction can even be added to STO, the Klingon Faction needs to be finished and all the tech, damage types, and skills need to be revisited. The Factions need faction specific tech, damage types, and skills. I'm not saying there cannot be some overlap but the current "everyone can use everything" has to go. Yes I know they did this for balance to get the game out the door, but now that the game is out the door, it needs to be fixed.
I couldn't disagree more - the factions DON'T need 'specific or 'faction unique' dmage types. In TNG you had factions usinhg everything - if the tech was out there, it was available to everyone. I would hate to see something unusable to me just bcause I selected a specific faction.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
hmm would the "renegades" use their own ships or yoink the factions they've defected to? :O

awesome idea... lets the rommie fans play around some stuff
In my opinion, they should use the faction's ships, though maybe they bring some technology with them. Maybe we get some Romulan shuttle craft? There are many possibilities but that's something to be decided after playable Romulans hit the game.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
I think people are being very shortsighted with their whining about how they want a fully fledged romulan faction; the STO dev team is small, and we barely even have a fully functional klingon faction, and you want to split all of the content they make into an entire third faction? are you insane? it makes much more sense both in game design terms and in story terms that the romulans would be able to choose which faction to join on say their first mission or something. this would also give both the feds and KDF players a ton of new ships to fly (romulan ones), so it wouldn't just be new content for people rolling a romulan character, people that don't want to roll a romulan get access to it aswell, it's win-win for everyone.
Keep in mind actual work on a Romulan faction wont start till late this year. All of this is just discussions atm by both Cryptic and the player base. The Klingons will continue to get additions throughout the year (like the Qo;nos revamp and tutorial mission) and more KDF specific missions.

And like I mentioned in my post in the last page: allowing the players to choose who to side with would be great. You could do it with how i suggested with a reputation system that sides you with whomever faction you please the most, or by simply being able to choose who to help with before a PVP game or etc.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Stahl, in my opinion the Romulans should be divided into 3 separate groups:

1) The ones that side with the Federation for survival (a Romulan playable faction in Starfleet)

2) The ones that side with the Klingons for survival (a Romulan playable faction in the KDF)

3) The ones that want to keep being independent and get their former glory back. These are the ones working with the Hirogen and even Remans. This is also the new Romulan playable faction.

I honestly think this covers the entire storyline for STO up to this point and has a good reason for all of it.
I really think this would be a great way to go. at that point we'd have two destict main factions and a third faction that (in addition to it's own stuff) can choose to play on the KDF or Fed side; OR remain 'true' to the old Romulan Empire and you could see Romulans vs Romulans - on different sides

I really think that's a great thing for both Star Trek in general and STO myself.