Lt. Commander
# 51
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
I think people are being very shortsighted with their whining about how they want a fully fledged romulan faction; the STO dev team is small, and we barely even have a fully functional klingon faction, and you want to split all of the content they make into an entire third faction? are you insane? it makes much more sense both in game design terms and in story terms that the romulans would be able to choose which faction to join on say their first mission or something. this would also give both the feds and KDF players a ton of new ships to fly (romulan ones), so it wouldn't just be new content for people rolling a romulan character, people that don't want to roll a romulan get access to it aswell, it's win-win for everyone.
Here is the solution to the "small team, we cant develop a full fledged faction" excuse:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=198416
Lt. Commander
# 52 Put on those mourning poems
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'd caution everyone that without details, there is a lot of assumption going on. Details about what the Romulan faction will be when they are released is in the very TBD side of the design document. I realize that my comments strike fear in some that the Romulans will be just a Fed or KDF species - but seriously - you have to give me a little credit that I'm NOT trying to replicate the KDF incident. Those suggesting that I'm trying to shoe-horn in Romulan ships by adding them to the FED/KDF are purely speculating.

If the Romulan faction joins the game - you will start in your own area - and have your own storyline, etc...

My comment was more along the lines that at this point (and it will be better illustrated in the feature episode series Cloaked Intentions) there is is no central Romulan government and many survivers are forming their own alliances.

It could very well be that some Romulans might be sympathetic (con neutral) to Feds while some could be sympathetic (con neutral) to KDF. Perhaps not ALL Romulans will have the same agenda.
Your desire to not have repetition of the KDF launch duly noted, but I feel the OPs fear when I read this idea. Whoever it was Paramount, CBS, Cryptic, JJ, Dstahl. They NOVAED ROMULUS and insist it was the Remans. Ergo, not many cheers from the Romulan fans. Imagine the next Star Trek movie to feature red shirts blowing up earth to have half of humanity join the Borg, while Vulcans and redshirts join Klingons.

On the other hand, allowing Romulans as a playable race for KDF and FED will make many people happy (incl. myself), it makes sense in the current timeline for individuals characters (think Spocks group, or Carraya colony) to team up with the enemy in times or turmoil. A big "screw you we're takin off doin our own thing" is what makes Romulans who they are. As long as their sympathy to KDF or UFP doesn't outway their loyalty to their people. (Unlike Klingon Officers in the UFP during Wartime)

My fear is that while Klingons have hardcore fans holding the position, and god forbid the blue of the nacelles on a Galaxy is a bit of, I see liittle love for Romulans. Donatra assimilated, Sela is empress, homeworld gone, Remans are their own empire, Hirogens flying around .... With this kind of plotline it is easy to fall into an anything goes mode, because coming up with a coherent narrative is hard when all is fractured.

Yes playable characters/BO can make sense and be cool, iff a Romulan Faction comes, that offers a perspective and story that holds its own against the mainstream narrative of the feds. It doesn't really matter if that is a narrative of unity or of factional fights, revenge or reconciliation. As long as it provides a background shared by ONE faction that reasserts its presence vis-a-vis KDF and UFP.... how about blowing up vulcan??

I love how much STO has improved, and I m a happy camper to have the latest episode concern Romulans. But boy am i still miffed at the state of the romulan empire in STO...
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Cardassian True Way + Romulan Alliance.

Both would be factions of their respective peoples and would not represent the whole. Cardassia would still be an ally to the Federation and much of the Romulan remnants would not be involved.

More details in the old thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=185071
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=card...t=504#/d2xl2n7

that is all
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
If the Romulan Empire collapses into a civil war, then I would not be surprised to see missions where Feds + Roms are fighting against KLG + Roms.

Or maybe even more specific than that...

Maybe it is Remans+Feds vs. Rom+Kdf+Hirogen

you can see - there are a lot of ways we can go with it... nothing is for certain... except that we want to focus back on the conflict between the Federation and KDF and adding a Romulan faction will play into that somehow...

well at least until the Iconians arrive to destroy everyone

Very glad you guys are thinking through all of the combos possible in this instance.

There is some soft canon storyline (the Titan novels, etc) where the Klingons actually come to the aid of the Remans, they declare them a protectorate and negotiate land rights for the Remans with Tal'Aura at the end of the first Titan story arc (which is set right after Nemesis) So the Remans are much more likely KDF-friendly than Federation friendly (although there is a Reman guy in those novels who was saved by the Feds, but then again in that series, the KDF and Feds are still friends, so the Remans didn't have to choose between them.

Furthermore, there is also some lore out there that the Hirogen actually respect the Klingons as well, for their martial prowess and warrior culture.

So both of the Remans and Hirogen make some sense as KDF "allies"

However, Romulans being sympathetic to the KDF does NOT. They loathe one another quite a bit after the bad blood that resulted from their first "alliance" (which is the origin of the cloaking tech / D7 cruiser tech swap in TOS times)

I think the main focus of the playable Romulan faction should be the Civil War itself.

As a jumping off point, the Romulan "hub" would be neutral, where players from each of the "sub factions" go about their business under an armistice that covers the captial (assuming its still Rator III)

But then each sub faction might also have access to their "alliance" hubs as well, so that they might share some of the PvE missions with Feds of KDF, while still having plenty of their own that deals with the civil war and such. You might even allow mixed teaming for PVP and STFs

Then there is also the "other way to go... a Romulan + Cardassian faction. Roms, Remans, Hirogen, Trueway, and AlphaQuad Jem'hadar would be a pretty formidable third faction. Plenty of ship choices to flesh things out there, and the Tal-Shiar and Obsidian Order seem like they would mesh extremely well.

Then you could allow the "remnants" that didn't wanna be a part of that huge faction split and team up with Feds and KDF, so you might have playable Fed Romulans/Remans and playable KDF Remans/Hirogen

Do you guys keep up with Soft Canon? The Typhon's Pact story thats going on in the Pocket Book universe is very cool, and I hope you guys can find a way to "shake up" the rigid politcal lines like they did over there.

I can't wait.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I agree, do not continue the trend of *******izing factions...especially major factions. Not every faction has to fit under two polar factions. Romulans could be a good neutral faction, at odds with the KDF, but tolerant of the Feds.

Only thing I hate more than the idea of a Fed-washed or KDF loving Romulan, is the castration of the Collective into liberated Borg!
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Stahl, in my opinion the Romulans should be divided into 3 separate groups:

1) The ones that side with the Federation for survival (a Romulan playable faction in Starfleet)

2) The ones that side with the Klingons for survival (a Romulan playable faction in the KDF)

3) The ones that want to keep being independent and get their former glory back. These are the ones working with the Hirogen and even Remans. This is also the new Romulan playable faction.

I honestly think this covers the entire storyline for STO up to this point and has a good reason for all of it.
I support this

Definitely /SIGNED!!

Saith
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
I'd caution everyone that without details, there is a lot of assumption going on. Details about what the Romulan faction will be when they are released is in the very TBD side of the design document. I realize that my comments strike fear in some that the Romulans will be just a Fed or KDF species - but seriously - you have to give me a little credit that I'm NOT trying to replicate the KDF incident. Those suggesting that I'm trying to shoe-horn in Romulan ships by adding them to the FED/KDF are purely speculating.

If the Romulan faction joins the game - you will start in your own area - and have your own storyline, etc...

My comment was more along the lines that at this point (and it will be better illustrated in the feature episode series Cloaked Intentions) there is is no central Romulan government and many survivers are forming their own alliances.

It could very well be that some Romulans might be sympathetic (con neutral) to Feds while some could be sympathetic (con neutral) to KDF. Perhaps not ALL Romulans will have the same agenda.
I kinda like this. While I want any new factions to be full and complete, I really don't want to see the PvP queues getting split 3 or even 4 ways; we can get stuck waiting for a match for too long as it is.

Giving them their own territory and story arcs (leaving them free to pursue their own agendas, and tend to their own internal affairs), but making them aligned with one or the other of the existing factions in the broader context of the ongoing war for the alpha quadrant, would seem to be the obvious solution.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
I fail to see how any faction of Romulans can be sympathetic to the KDF. The Klingons invaded the Romulan Empire a minute after Romulus was destroyed, they fell on them like vultures. The fact that they basically hate everything about the other wouldn´t help with that either.

The Remans on the other hand would probably work with the Klingons, unfortunately the Klingons wouldn´t bother using them in much the same way the Romulans did, as cannon fodder and slaves.

The Federation wouldn´t want the Remans, at least not in light of everything they have done recently.

The Federation would possibly accept Romulans that are part of the more peaceful faction, that actively seeks to better relationships between them. But for that to happen they would have to be official allies of the Federations if not even a Member.
I pretty much agree with this. There is precedent of Romulans working with Klingons (Sela with Lursa and B'Etor), but IMO that was a more calculated and tactical collaboration than actually becoming outright allies. They still distrusted each other severely.

Overall, canon has favored the idea of Romulans eventually working with the Federation. Unification, the end of The Chase when the Romulan hails Picard and suggests that "one day" they would be friends, The Enemy where La Forge befriends Bochra on Galorndon Core...the seeds have already been planted of an eventual friendship between the two factions. I'd really like to see that fruit come to...well, fruition.

I could easily see the Remans siding with the Klingons for one simple reason: they both hate Romulans.

And the Hirogen? I don't see them siding with anyone...because remember, to them, we are all prey.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I for one would like to see a continuing stroyline werein the Romulans are in a state of Civil War with the Reman. The possiblities for both the Feds and the Klingons to interact and therefore has missons generated because of this are almost endless. Seem if the Romulan AND Reman faction are playable. I think that anyone with a furtile imagination could come up with a number of interesting plot twists with those.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
If there was an infinite budged I would love to see more factions. I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan in the world made answering some of Q's questions difficult.

So I think a full Romulan faction would add a great thing to STO and give the writers and the devs a really unique culture to offer really interesting game play and story arcs from. (not as much as the Cardassians though but can't have everything) and I am sure it is something the devs would be keen on doing. Star trek as an IP seems to offer so much lore and possibilty that they could run for years offering all sorts of different play style from the overly agressive Klingons to the incidious Romulans to the diplolmatic Federation.

Sadly though there are serious budget constraints. Adding Romulans as a third faction would no doubt bring a lot to STO but that is people not working on somehing else which may cause more problems short term as players that aren't interest in Romulans moan about a lack of other content. So with that in mind its necessary to find a stop gap solution. Where while the Romulans are rebuilding they fall under the baner of the Federation but when the time is right (when the devs are ready) they break away and restore thier Star Empire. This allows people that want to play Romulans to do so even form fleets of Romulans and as their ships are worked out they too can be brought in.

Then when a starting zone and quets are worked out and in the romulans can break away and offer the 3rd faction. Its not perfect but as it stands it seems unlikely Romulans will be in the game till 2012. And thats a long wait if thats what you want to play. So I really hope the devs do what they can to make it possible for people to play the race of their choice and then transfer the time and work they have put in once the new faction becomes available.