Lt. Commander
# 61
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
id like to see the klingons some how solve their differences with the feds, and an end to the war.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Sadly though there are serious budget constraints. Adding Romulans as a third faction would no doubt bring a lot to STO but that is people not working on somehing else which may cause more problems short term as players that aren't interest in Romulans moan about a lack of other content. So with that in mind its necessary to find a stop gap solution.
Here is your stop gap solution, and it doesnt involve putting a Rom costume on the Fed/KDF factions:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=198416
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'd caution everyone that without details, there is a lot of assumption going on. Details about what the Romulan faction will be when they are released is in the very TBD side of the design document. I realize that my comments strike fear in some that the Romulans will be just a Fed or KDF species - but seriously - you have to give me a little credit that I'm NOT trying to replicate the KDF incident. Those suggesting that I'm trying to shoe-horn in Romulan ships by adding them to the FED/KDF are purely speculating.

If the Romulan faction joins the game - you will start in your own area - and have your own storyline, etc...

My comment was more along the lines that at this point (and it will be better illustrated in the feature episode series Cloaked Intentions) there is is no central Romulan government and many survivers are forming their own alliances.

It could very well be that some Romulans might be sympathetic (con neutral) to Feds while some could be sympathetic (con neutral) to KDF. Perhaps not ALL Romulans will have the same agenda.

In all honesty.....

The Romulan Faction should be a mini-Faction. Sure there should be some storyline missions exclusivley for them to do, but having a 3rd competing faction will lower pvp queues in general. It is all ready getting "Dry" in the fact that i swear up against the same groups at least 5-6 times a night....both fed and KDF. HAving a separate faction to do RvF, RvK, FvF, FvK, KvK and space and ground will just make the queues so empty and repetitive....it will not look good at that point.

At least by having your Romulan Start at Commander level, play through some story arcs and then make a choice to join Fed or KDF by Captain 1 for the introduction to Faction PvP. Then Feds who want Battle cloak to use against the KDF would have it.

But this is how i see it best.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
id like to see the klingons some how solve their differences with the feds, and an end to the war.
Could you have picked a deader horse to beat?
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Hmmm... How about giving us three choices once we complete the core romulan storyline:

1 - We can choose to ally ourselves with the Federation
2 - We can choose to ally ourselves with a Romulan Purist faction
3 - We can choose to ally ourselves with the Klingons.

The choice would bhe on a per-romulan-character basis.

Federation allied Romulans would be enemies of Purist Romulans and KDF
Purist Romulans would be enemies of UFP and KDF
Klingon allied Romulans would be enemies of Purist Romulans and UFP

But between the Klingon faction being made complete and the introduction of the Romulan faction, what is needed most is A SOLID ENDGAME MECHANIC.

As I see it, whichever faction we choose needs to have a coherent story with PvE and PvP missions, all for the purpose of getting us ready for the endgame, which should be very open-ended and near-sandbox in form. That is to say all of the endgame elements should be player-driven, whether they be the galactic economy, alliances, territorial control, industry, colonization or whatever other element we will be able to engage in. And each element should be a layer unto itself.

If the endgame mechanic is in place before the romulan faction goes live, then the story that it tells is how the Romulans enter the current galactic arena.

Of course, that's just all my opinion. But I do believe that it is fact to say that a romulan faction without a centralized cohesive presence unto itself is no faction at all. I hope Cryptic doesnt shy away from the notion of a 3-sided war
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-10-2011, 08:32 PM
<--- sides with the OP, and long live the Romulan Empire.

-
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd just like to chime in to say that, as a person eager to see a Romulan faction in the game, we want to see a Romulan faction which is strong and can represent itself. A Romulan faction which can compete with the Feds and the Klingons, not be forced to side with one of them.

I realize this is not what the current storyline is working towards. From the soumd of things, the fractured nature of the Romulan Star Empire is extending into the future, and the only way the Romulans can survive is if they compromise and back one side or the other. And because there is no central government, what you end up with is one of each.

Dan, my suggestion is to take a fresh look at this and ask, "What do all those people who want to play Romulans want?" And I expect the answer is something other than the current plan. They want a Romulan Empire again. One which is proud, united, and a true third party.

In other words, they don't want STO defined by a Fed vs Klingon storyline. Not anymore. I don't know what has to happen, story-wise, for the Romulans to climb up out of the ashes of their destroyed homeworld and stand tall again, but -- speaking solely as a player eager to play a Romulan -- THAT is what I want to see. Not a Romulan which is the weakest of the three factions, forced to pick one side or the other to survive. No way!
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
yeah Spock got the uber shaft with the new movie, and it really makes my nerd rage go through the roof, but I cant undo (as much as I want to) the movie, I can only hope the sequal to it has them trying to get prime spock home and putting things right. And in the process explain a bit more about the state of the Romulan Empire.
Most dramatists will tell you that great stories don't begin with happily ever-after.
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I agree completely with the OP.

Romulans should be their own separate and complete faction. After the Klingon Empire is a healthy and complete faction that is.

Stop half-baking stuff Cryptic!
Agree completely.

They would never consider joining either in my opinion.

While the loss of Romulous might have been devastating, The Romulans have an "empire" with lots of other planets under their rule, At least I would imagine so anyway. They had no problems leaving Vulcan in sub-light ships after all. I'm sure they could simply move their capital to another one of their other planets. I see the loss of Romulous, making them MORE hostile to the Federation and the Klingons, not the opposite!

That plus I wanna WARBIRD!!! :p
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
It'd be an irony if war was what would reunify some Romulans and Vulcans under the Federation.

All the hard work of peace and it only took a war to get some Romulans working with the Feds.