Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
I can understand why the tier 1 ships can't be as strong as a tier 5 ship, it makes sence.... on the other hand ship equipment shouldn't degrade just because you decide to put it in a tier 1 ship. Or maybe that could be justified by saying lower power levels and such cause the equipment to be less effective.

The one major thing that bothers me though as a VA(when commanding a lower tier vessel) is when i assign a maxed out BO to a station they get a brain fart and forget (can't use)half thier training.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Orcutt
I can understand why the tier 1 ships can't be as strong as a tier 5 ship, it makes sence.... on the other hand ship equipment shouldn't degrade just because you decide to put it in a tier 1 ship. Or maybe that could be justified by saying lower power levels and such cause the equipment to be less effective.

The one major thing that bothers me though as a VA(when commanding a lower tier vessel) is when i assign a maxed out BO to a station they get a brain fart and forget (can't use)half thier training.
Or could it be that he is limited to the options available to him on a less capable ship? Hmmmmmmm.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Or could it be that he is limited to the options available to him on a less capable ship? Hmmmmmmm.
Well played, i never thought of it like that before. That certainly would help visualize why my BO's arent able to use the skills they have on hand.

I still have some nostalgic evenings where i captain one of my old ships , would be great though if i would be able to use them for anything other then low level farming. (perhaps a way your ships could "level up" like your captain or BO's do) through the use of advanced station upgrades or such.

Just a thought:
This isn't really on line with the topic though, but i was / am a fan of mechwarrior. I liked how when creating a mech you where limited to tonnage as far as what equipment you could use. I.E. For upgraded ships, give the equipment a tonnage rating, and the ships a tonnage total. then you could make the ship into anything you wanted it to be used for and wouldn't be pidgeon holed into it being any specific class ship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2011, 01:34 AM
When I roll in my T6 constitution refit Im blowin all you fools down.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Or at the very least offer up ship specific missions like the ones with the runabouts, those are fun in their own right. Or maybe add a feature that allows the ships to gain EXP like bridge officers that can be used on various ship specific powers.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey...DecadeComplete...you're from Joisy...me too. My condolences my friend.lol.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Give it awhile...someone will either flame it in a minute or divert attention to a thread with an attempt to overshadow this idea. STO forums, gotta love'em.
Yeah I hear ya, as Mel Brooks pointed out in the History of the World, "With the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth the critic"
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
i'm against refits of tier 1-2 ships they served there time even at ST 3 the connie was 30 years out of date they keeped it around as a trainee, workhorse other then that it's greatly inferior to the tng ships
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Hey...DecadeComplete...you're from Joisy...me too. My condolences my friend.lol.
I've been there a few times and I have to say the sunsets in Trenton are rather spectacular
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Condolences? I suppose all our friends being afraid of our sheer awesomeness from being from Jersey can do bad things.

And back on topic, a Miranda can only be upgraded so much. Smaller ships are built with specific superstructures with stress limitations below that of say a Sovereign. New tech can only do so much when its the structure itself that has weaknesses.