Lt. Commander
# 21
02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
I am ok with refits of tier 1-2 ships, however, there should be a limit to how far they can be upgraded and to what extant. The expectations should be set accordingly.

It makes sense for me to be able to upgrade my Miranda to tier 3, but it doesn't make sense for me to be able to get it to tier 5. I think Upgrading of ships to tier 5 should be limited to tier-3 and up ships.

That said, Perhaps one makes a severe tradeoff - upgrading a Miranda to t5 wont give you the wep slots, but perhaps makes it REALLY maneuverable and fast. Cant pack a punch but is REALLY good at evasion? I dunno....
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man
I am ok with refits of tier 1-2 ships, however, there should be a limit to how far they can be upgraded and to what extant. The expectations should be set accordingly.

It makes sense for me to be able to upgrade my Miranda to tier 3, but it doesn't make sense for me to be able to get it to tier 5. I think Upgrading of ships to tier 5 should be limited to tier-3 and up ships.

That said, Perhaps one makes a severe tradeoff - upgrading a Miranda to t5 wont give you the wep slots, but perhaps makes it REALLY maneuverable and fast. Cant pack a punch but is REALLY good at evasion? I dunno....
I'm one that believes that ships shouldnt be upgrades more than tier tiers above the ships original tier. a connie...trying to pwn my nebbie? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufia
i'm against refits of tier 1-2 ships they served there time even at ST 3 the connie was 30 years out of date they keeped it around as a trainee, workhorse other then that it's greatly inferior to the tng ships
But part of the point of the movie was that although something may seem out of date it can still have uses.
I'd take a 69 camaro over a 96 any day of the week and know of a few 69's that would smoke a 96 without much problems because the mechanic knows what he's doing.
Given Scotty's constant tinkering and adjusting Enterprise-A stuck around for quite some time
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderkayne View Post
But part of the point of the movie was that although something may seem out of date it can still have uses.
I'd take a 69 camaro over a 96 any day of the week and know of a few 69's that would smoke a 96 without much problems because the mechanic knows what he's doing.
Given Scotty's constant tinkering and adjusting Enterprise-A stuck around for quite some time
it was inferior and outdated compared to the U.S.S. Excelsior, the excelsior's upgradability made the connie just outdated, the Enterprise B veriant U.S.S. Lakota could have smoked the Defiant if it wanted because the design of the Excelsior is so Versetile it could pretty much be upgraded infinately i consider it the true predecessor to the Sovereign Class and like the prototype sovereign class U.S.S. Sovereign it had a lot of prototype equipement that failed
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man

I agree, i'm not saying that a Centaur should be able to take on a borg cube by itself but at the very least be able to hold it's own with little or no assisstance. the more I think about this Fleet idea quanmanchu came up with the more I'm diggin it. It would also allow usage of those bridge officers that hardly get used as well.
CRYPTIC I HOPE YOU"RE READING THIS
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
I agree, i'm not saying that a Centaur should be able to take on a borg cube by itself but at the very least be able to hold it's own with little or no assisstance. the more I think about this Fleet idea quanmanchu came up with the more I'm diggin it. It would also allow usage of those bridge officers that hardly get used as well.
if it was the TNG borg your centaur would be one shooted pretty much the shield capacity of the Tier 1 Frigate is pretty low the miranda's and such in both first contact and the dominion was getting one shooted from return fire
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
I've been there a few times and I have to say the sunsets in Trenton are rather spectacular
Oh...and the outdoor theatre in Newark (AKA watching random crimes) is to "die" for.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Oh...and the outdoor theatre in Newark (AKA watching random crimes) is to "die" for.
Get some cheeseburgers for the homeless guy takin a leak next to ya and it's a dinner theatre LOL
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Sadly, unless some rules like "Only the ships you bought with the free token are allowed for your reserve fleet", you'll see people - like me, even - only using T-5 ships for their "backup" or reserve.

I do like the concept of how your old ship can come to aid and rescue of their former captain out of loyalty...
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
As far as the degradation of the ships components, One could use Rare or Very rare components on ships of lower tiers to get the maximum usage from them, one of the more plausible reasons that they're rare or very rare.
That would be a simple step to fixing this issue. A Miranda class should stomp the guts out of the NX-01 but yet the NX-01 seems to hold it's own decently(dont own one but have seen it in action)
I also think that certain ship specific skills can be unlocked once you master(9 skill rating) in the corresponding skill. A "Feat" if you will exclusive to the class of ship