Lt. Commander
# 1 Ease up on DStahl People
02-11-2011, 12:04 AM
For those of you who dislike longer posts, see the following as my sometimes viewpoint on the STO community, and just remember the game isn't going anywhere, we can be patient while they work on all the multitudes of new and improved stuff we and they want. See below for the less abrasive version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHZy80dmXM

I swear, sometimes I wonder how we haven't driven some of the Devs to sociopathy with all our incessant demands and complaints.

Maybe its because I've been playing MMOs a lot longer than many of the Star Trek fans here, especially given how many of you would never have played an MMO at all had it not been Star Trek, maybe its because I've simply grown more realistic and pragmatic in my expectations over the years, but I honestly think we as a community are being grossly unfair to Cryptic.

Now, before you all start flaming me keep in mind, I am not saying that there haven't been missteps, problems, and outright mistakes made by the dev team, the problems with the Q fountain among the more recent ones. STO is not perfect. The Devs are not perfect. (neither are we) STO was much worse at launch, maybe even a bit worse than some of the other MMOs I've played when they first came out.

That said, they want this game to succeed. Overall it is. They want us to be happy. That's one they can't deliver to everyone, but they are making a darn good showing of it. They also want to do it right. With the way things look now STO will be around for a good long while to come, come Titan or SW:TOR or whatever. They have time to implement all those crazy and wonderful ideas they wanted to originally and couldn't because of the hard deadline for release that frankly was unrealistic but understandable given the ****-poor job Perpetual made of actually making a playable anything. They also have time to implement a lot of those off the wall and brilliant ideas we come up with.

How many MMOs really put that much effort into changing things directly based on forum feedback? I never knew GW or EVE or anyone else to do it, aside from balance issues and bug fixes. Heck, Galaxies actively ignored the player base with some of their changes, despite desperate, unified pleading to undo some of them, a unification we almost always lack.

The point is - ALL of these changes and improvements take time. They aren't a very large team and they have to prioritize. It isn't a race to get everything worked on all at once. If they even try they'll just end up doing poorly at them all.

Frankly endgame and KDF content is sorely lacking right now, and ground combat is functional but nowhere near as fun and engaging as space. Exploration is another area I find fun, but unfulfilling. Its popcorn basically, and we want meat and potatoes.

We can afford to be patient. It will come. We already know they are working on ground combat, the duty system is another exciting improvement in the pipeline, and the KDF seems to be a continual element of their work, albeit a bit more low key than some of the flashier elements, like the Featured Series.

Also everyone should keep in mind that each of us has a different list of priorities for the game. We can't all have what we want immediately. I'm sure, however, that Cryptic is trying to be as fair as possible while balancing the relative difficulties of wanted features. Frankly something that will take a hundred man hours to implement compared to something requiring ten, with both equally demanded, shouldn't have priority.

And lastly, we have to understand that some things are just not possible or desirable in an MMO setting, or they are wanted by too small a portion of the players to warrant the necessary time to implement.

A simple example. I saw a thread recently saying we shouldn't have any loading screens at all in sector space. Besides being next to impossible with the realities of MMO servers and engines such a move would have other problems, like having the same player limit for the entire map instead of one sector block. I don't know about you, but I like seeing other players flitting about in their ships as I travel. Space would feel a lot lonelier if we were spread out over the whole shebang.

Actually, there is one more thing I want to say. I've seen way too many threads that basically boil down to attacks or threats against Stahl personally or Cryptic in general. That does no one any good at all. Dstahl and his team are our friends and givers of gifts, not our enemies. They are just as big Star Trek fans as the rest of us and care about making STO great, even greater than it is now. These threads literally make me sick. By all means, keep posting what you want to see and what you want improved, but that can be done with some class.

We are fans of Star Trek, the greatest egalitarian and idealistic vision in Sci-Fi ever. Lets act like it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Cheers mate! well put. The Dev's deserve love. even if it helps your cause to whine and stur up a minor public relations issue so the dev's have to reply, it doesn't mean its right or fair. i can not stand whiners or the people that justify it by saying it works. it works the same way a crying baby gets attention.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
I totally agree with this. I felt bad for Daniel Stahl and Cryptic after reading some of the posts. A bit of thought and consideration in posting on the forums will get us a lot further than simply using them as a means to release frustration. Thankfully there are a lot of good posters here also.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah, there is a lot of vitriol flying about. It isn't even what they are asking for that is the issue, a lot of times I agree with them, and often when I don't I can see why they'd want feature X. We just need to present ourselves better.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm not going to lie, I myself have issues with Star Trek Online.

I want more endgame conent
I want more KDF content
I want better ground combat
I want more interactive interiors
I want shield and hull heals to be looked at again.
I want etc etc etc

So, lots of "I wants".

I'm also a realist, I know the devs can't just wave a magic Dev Wand and create all this out of thin air. It requires prioritising, brainstorming, hard work, money and time.

The Devs are obviously hard working people, who DO listen to what we want, who DO get Star Trek and who DO work to improve STO. The game has greatly improved since it came out originally and while it's in no way perfect, it is *still* improving. Just look at this months "ask cryptic" and you'll see Dstahl recognises our concerns.

Heck, even if I didn't see it from their point of view I wouldn't go into a crazed nerd rage, stomping my feet and being so downright rude.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2011, 01:23 AM
i appreciate all the hard work they have done to improve the game and i look forward to all the hard work they do over the next year and beyond.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokesmith View Post
Yeah, there is a lot of vitriol flying about. It isn't even what they are asking for that is the issue, a lot of times I agree with them, and often when I don't I can see why they'd want feature X. We just need to present ourselves better.
I'd like to see more posts with the words "I'd like to see" rather than "I want". It's less demanding and more friendly. Also if people are upset or angry about something they should control any outburst on the forums, the Devs and customer service reps are more likely to listen to people that do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I pretty much resign myself to being happy with whatever comes along when it does.

My official opinion so far is that Dan has not made a bad decision yet in this game, so whatever comes around will be excellent whenever it comes around.

So what I attempt to do is to sway their priorities by shouting REALLY LOUD AT WHOEVER WILL LISTEN for what I want. And they're typically very minor, small things. Like I want Romulan ridges added to the alien character creator. What not.

Let's hope they're listening.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
I pretty much resign myself to being happy with whatever comes along when it does.
That's my approach as well. It seems to have worked out for me so far. I leave the occasional little hint of what I'd like to see, but no more. I've only asked 2 questions in ask Cryptic and I'm satisfied with how the game's coming along. I've settled for satisfaction, but no more than that. That way I won't be disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Good to see something both positive and realistic being posted here. May it forever outshine the drivel that the "Me ME ME ME ME ME"-generation posts.

Dstahl. You're the most open game designer I've met, yet also realistic about what is possible and not. Much appreciated good sir.

Vires Animi