Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
The Romulans has potential for tons of content and the Dev Team can easily create new ships to fill in the gaps of the missing ships in Teirs. But the trick is how to make the Romulans unique without feeling like another copy and paste job?

Stahl said today in another thread hinting of a possibility of a split Romulan Empire withere the Romulans or the Remans allied with the Federation. (Most likely I could see some Romulans being allied to the Federaiton while the rest are hostile to both sides).

With the Cardassians, the thing that I honestly don't think there is room for them being their own faction. But if Cryptic adds in a Merchant / Freelancer faction, I think they could fit in, given their evolution to more of an exporter.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I want a third faction implemented with the 2nd one completed, otherwise we risk having another half-assed one.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
The Romulans has potential for tons of content and the Dev Team can easily create new ships to fill in the gaps of the missing ships in Teirs. But the trick is how to make the Romulans unique without feeling like another copy and paste job?

Stahl said today in another thread hinting of a possibility of a split Romulan Empire withere the Romulans or the Remans allied with the Federation. (Most likely I could see some Romulans being allied to the Federaiton while the rest are hostile to both sides).

With the Cardassians, the thing that I honestly don't think there is room for them being their own faction. But if Cryptic adds in a Merchant / Freelancer faction, I think they could fit in, given their evolution to more of an exporter.
The problem here is that people tend to dislike Cryptic original designs (aside from the KDF species specific ships). Look at the fact that nearly every ship they have added to the Fed side since launch has been a refit of someone's "classic" favorite. They did the same with the B'rel on the KDF side as well as the Vor'cha.

Is there enough lore for great Romulan episodic content from 1-51+ maybe, but again, there is more Klingon lore out there and they still haven't been able to produce enough for 1-51+. That's not a jab at the dev team, it is a simple reality. The Klingons are by far the second most developed group in Trek lore and yet building a full fledge faction has been a challenge, one they want to correct, but still a challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Starting at T3 would be a wise move for a Romulan Faction. It would help prevent gaps in leveling since they'd have less levels to work through, and by the time a Romulan Faction goes live there should be enough weekly series to get them up to the next tier. Combine that with versions of the Fed missions in Romulan space from a Romulan point of view and they'd be up into the next tier.

Right there you've got them through the Sub-Commander and Commander ranks into khre'riov (Commander-General), at which point the Romulan players are 2 levels away from having access to the Borg missions.

I'd also have to agree with the point regarding the lack of Romulan ships. Only having to fill out three tiers of ships would help ease the work load on the art team since they'd be making 9 ships instead of 13...which would also be less work on the folks who have to make sure the Romulan Navy is properly balanced against the Feds and KDF.

T3: BoP and Scout ship
T4: Better BoP and better Scout ship
T5: Better BoP, better Scout ship, D'deridex, Valdore, Scimitar

Although this lists 9 ships, if the BoPs and Scout ships reuse a few pieces, the art team is only making 5-7 ships even if the game play people are balancing 9. This might be the best way to go since, given the descriptions given of Romulan architecture, anything other than a military asset will require the art team to out do their already great work. Especially when one considers the Romulan tastes in buildings tend toward the ancient, with liberal use of well polished marble, granite and wood.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2011, 01:07 AM
^ The BoP shouldn't be treated like the Klingon BoP, because the Romulan BoP is a "Warbird" like the D'deridex. So it would likely be part of a Warbird (Cruiser) line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
The problem here is that people tend to dislike Cryptic original designs (aside from the KDF species specific ships). Look at the fact that nearly every ship they have added to the Fed side since launch has been a refit of someone's "classic" favorite. They did the same with the B'rel on the KDF side as well as the Vor'cha.
Don't blame people there. But unless Cryptic holds a Romulan design contest, we have to make due. Though I will say this, Suricata had a pretty neat looking Romulan ship before he disappeared.

Quote:
Is there enough lore for great Romulan episodic content from 1-51+ maybe, but again, there is more Klingon lore out there and they still haven't been able to produce enough for 1-51+. That's not a jab at the dev team, it is a simple reality. The Klingons are by far the second most developed group in Trek lore and yet building a full fledge faction has been a challenge, one they want to correct, but still a challenge.
Oh my yes, there is hundreds of potential things Cryptic could do for the Romulans and the Klingons. I could probablly go all day thinking of ideas. But I guess Cryptic's limited staff prevents them from having a dedicated team for either one of them. Else we have more Klingon content by now than these weeklies.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
^ The BoP shouldn't be treated like the Klingon BoP, because the Romulan BoP is a "Warbird" like the D'deridex. So it would likely be part of a Warbird (Cruiser) line.
Given the nature of the Romulan BoP from Balance of Terror and Minefield, I think having them be similar in nature to the Klingon BoP is not unthinkable.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Given the nature of the Romulan BoP from Balance of Terror and Minefield, I think having them be similar in nature to the Klingon BoP is not unthinkable.
No, the K-BoP is a raider that does fast hit-and-run attacks. The R-BoP is more like a slow tank.

Besides, I honestly don't want to see a R-BOP line like the K-BOP and Raptor lines in just having simple upgrades. That just screams lack of innovation if you ask me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
No, the K-BoP is a raider that does fast hit-and-run attacks. The R-BoP is more like a slow tank.

Besides, I honestly don't want to see a R-BOP line like the K-BOP and Raptor lines in just having simple upgrades. That just screams lack of innovation if you ask me.
Well mostly I posted that to bring this back up to the top But I think a Romulan faction needs a BoP line. It is too iconic to leave out, even if it requires leaps of deus ex machina.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
The Romulan BoP has absolutely not seen enough action in lore for us to be able to call it a "slow tank". It could easily be similar to a Klingon BoP.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2011, 01:19 PM
just a brief search showed up this to build on for ships

4 warbird types

-Praetor
-D'talla
-D'deridex
-Norexan

1 Reman

-Scimitar

BoP's

3 different BoP types, classes not named though

Battle cruiser

D-7 refit

plus scouts and science vessel

definately enough to base on, The klingon faction had to be filled in with "variations" too and is still incomplete. so still doable

The Cardassians have 3 types listed but easily expandable with variations

Ferengi have the least.

The point is though that these are only the basis. Varieties of ship styles and classes can be developed from these.