Lt. Commander
# 31
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Praetori View Post
the idea of starting a new faction at commander is pretty solid and alot of good cases have been made. but this is a ST forum and no one is going to talk anyone out of their own ideas. The dev's can read the ideas here and decide what makes since for the game but this thread is starting to look like this
I quote myself ^^^^^^^^

you must a Tellarite to keep this up
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
What would be the harm of purchasing, at VA level, from the C-store, a character at top level in a new faction for PvP only? Anything more will take years to implement.
Another idea is a genetic alteration and ship that allows us to pose as a new favtion and explore, PvP, etc as that alt. You can see my focus is on adding 3 or more new teams at once in a timely manner. A full leveling up storyline can be added over time.
Just some ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
I don't blame you. But, they have said repeatedly they learned their lesson from that and don't plan to make that same mistake.

But, I really have to add that a faction is all about a different type of gameplay in the same game. It's a distict feeling of being different from the other side. The leveling is very important in building this feeling of difference.

You just can't make a few skins and a tiny social hub and hope the Foundry will get you enough good missions to do a faction. That is just way to thin.

It is monster play with the fans writing a few missions.

For me, that is just not MMO enough.

I disagree. It throws you into the game with a ship and a skin and no feeling of unique progression to get to that point. MMOs are about progression of one's toon.

Are you guys sure you want to play an MMO?
I think you simply don't understand the premise of this idea. It would launch with more content than the KDF had, possibly even more than it has now.

The premise of this idea is to acknowledge the honesty that Dstahl has given us. They want to make the KDF better, but getting it to the point of the Federation is going to take a lot of time. In fact, I take his comments to mean it will likely never be fully on par with the federation. If that is the case, why do you think they can some how make a Romulan faction that is on par with the Federation?

Abbreviating the leveling means instead they can focus their resources and a shorter progression, but a more fleshed out faction. The one thing the KDF is desperately missing is a "game style" of their own. What they need is a House System to take the place of the Federations Diplomacy leanings. The Romulans to need something that is their own. Something that likely revolves around the Senate or the Tal Shiar. I'd rather seem the focus their limited resources on making these aspects of the game more vital and vibrate than throwing a bunch of useless levels out there.

I have two VA and four Lt. Gens. The Level progression this game on any side is not slow paced, skipping 20 levels does not threatened to removed the heart of a faction. In fact, having 20 meaningless levels in a faction is far more dangerous.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
The Romulan BoP has absolutely not seen enough action in lore for us to be able to call it a "slow tank". It could easily be similar to a Klingon BoP.
Perhaps, but what we did see was it was slow turning with powerful weapons to compensate. The D'Deridex pretty much continued that tradition.

And given the R-BoP's performance in STO, it seems Cryptic has pretty much went with that idea as well.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian
I think you simply don't understand the premise of this idea.
No, I get that.
I guess I don't get the defeatism that I see between the lines in the posts.

If I wanted to play a Romulan faction, I would not settle for anything less than that. I would walk. Like so many Klingons did a year ago.

Biut, that's just me.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Romulans are fractured right now. They really can't stand on their own feet against the Klingons or Federation, especially with a civil war.

I'd say:
  • Full, standard PvE expereience for levels 1-25.
  • At level 25, you have to make a choice which faction you'll align with in the campaign.
  • Develop content from 26-cap that's agnostic and can tie into the Romulans somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Perhaps, but what we did see was it was slow turning with powerful weapons to compensate. The D'Deridex pretty much continued that tradition.

And given the R-BoP's performance in STO, it seems Cryptic has pretty much went with that idea as well.
The Romulan NPC BoPs make heavy use of cloak and turn decently. They're basically Klingon BoP NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I think it's clear. Nobody likes the idea of putting the Rommies with the existing factions. NOBODY! NOOOOOBOOOODYYYYYYY!!!!!
Ummm, I actually do. I think with Romulus drestroyed, having Romulan player characters that decided to ally with the Feds, KDF, or neither and are ben on trying to rebuild the RSE is a GREAT idea.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Romulans are fractured right now. They really can't stand on their own feet against the Klingons or Federation, especially with a civil war.

I'd say:
•Full, standard PvE expereience for levels 1-25.
•At level 25, you have to make a choice which faction you'll align with in the campaign.
•Develop content from 26-cap that's agnostic and can tie into the Romulans somehow.
I can get behind this. It works in the timeline as well. As long as the faction is very unique up til that point it may work. Perhaps basing the faction on the counter productive realities of being zenophobic and also homeless. Many mission tyoes there.

An adopted home world or even a large colony on an asteroid field. One scavages for food and supplies while fending off Feds and Klingons alike until you just must deal with them finally.

It makes the "scan the crate" missions very Rommie.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

I'd say:
  • Full, standard PvE expereience for levels 1-25.
  • At level 25, you have to make a choice which faction you'll align with in the campaign.
  • Develop content from 26-cap that's agnostic and can tie into the Romulans somehow.

The real question here would be, what comes first. Design and then the plot, or the plot and then the design. It matters, for one thing can be used as an excuse for the other. The plot is highly adjustable, for example.

---