Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
If your going to troll, at least be good at it. Thats just sucked. Anyway, I voted independent. I almost voted double, but then I got to thinking, if the Devs allow people who are Feds and KDF to play as Roms, hardly anyone will join the independent faction.
That is a very good point. The majority of players play Fed, so if they can play Roms while still being a part of the Fed faction, why would they actually play the Rom faction? I have a feeling that if a double Rom faction were added, the actual independent half of the faction would have very few players.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
If its related to the subject of the thread being discussed or the post being replied to, then its not spamming. And since its not spamming, then calling it that is trolling. Good job!
Yeah well, you're wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
territorial pvp just don't works in a two faction system so I voted for an independent faction.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Personally, I would like a completely seperate faction.

I would like to see a story center around the Romulans that we all know and love as opposed to the broken disorganized troubled Roms we see now...

My suggestion would be:

You start as an ensign equivalent, and receive commands directly from empress Sela. It's obvious she has an agenda of rage and revenge against the Federation specifically. Most of the missions you would receive from her would be geared toward destroying small outposts and outlying colonies, 'reclaiming' (Stealing) supplies, and just being a general thorn in Federation sides.

About Cmndr level, you start getting the impression that Sela is merely a cranky puppet empress, with a much darker force tugging the strings. Around this time, the Tal Shiar take notice that your ALSO a useful puppet to be played with... You start doing espionage and more subtle missions focused around quietly manipulating the quadrant as a whole.

As any good Romulan worth his Disruptor knows, why should you take orders from someone when your OBVIOUSLY far more devious/cunning/intelligent than the person giving you those orders? So about mid captain/admiral level you start using your Tal Shiar training/contacts to discover things for yourself. You learn the deeper truth of things and undertake missions to 'eliminate' competition within the Tal Shiar and the Romulan government to further your own dark ambitions.

When you reach vice admiral equivalent, this is where you are beginning to tug at the strings of Empress Sela, and the Tal Shiar. At this point you can potentially plot against the feds, or stop hostilities to focus on finding a new homeworld... or find a way to take advantage of the fed/klingon war, to gain a foothold in their respective territories.

Instead of 'Diplomacy' skills like the Federation... political 'Manipulation' or 'Cunning' might be better suited to the Romulans.

I personally believe that with Empress Sela's fervor toward hating the Federation for the destruction of Romulus, and the general Xenophobic attitude of the Romulan culture as a whole... I don't believe that any real alliance with either faction will be realistic or even possible. Sure there is a small faction of Romulans that want peace... but not big enough to warrant an entire 'ensign to admiral' campaigne for a playable faction... and personally I believe that anyone who wants to play a Romulan, wants to be the cunning devious Romulans we all know and love/hate, not the huggy touchy feely Spock loving ones.

I will always be a Klingon through and through... but I do have a soft spot for the Romulans. Mostly because they just have the MOST beautiful ships in the entire Startrek universe. SOOOOO sexy! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
That is a very good point. The majority of players play Fed, so if they can play Roms while still being a part of the Fed faction, why would they actually play the Rom faction? I have a feeling that if a double Rom faction were added, the actual independent half of the faction would have very few players.
Pretty much. If they do a double faction, the people who play the independent part wont stand a chance in PvP or be able to find enough people to STF with, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Yeah well, you're wrong.
Whatever helps you sleep soundly under your bridge
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
I voted independent. I almost voted double, but then I got to thinking, if the Devs allow people who are Feds and KDF to play as Roms, hardly anyone will join the independent faction.
After a while they can claim that since there are so few players left in that faction, it would be better to focus on the "shared" Romulans, and since there would be nobody left to protest in that empty Romulan area, who could blame them. :p
---
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
The reason for playing the ones in the separate faction is for the separate storyline once it's added,. If you play a Fed one, you're stuck with the same UFP storyline missions.

Of course, seeing how long it's been taking to give the Klingons a full storyline... :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
double post
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraKet View Post
Of course, seeing how long it's been taking to give the Klingons a full storyline... :p
My thoughts exactly
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
With the goal of being a stand alone faction. After the KDF debacle, the Devs now have a much better basis for what is the satrting core of a faction needed.