Lt. Commander
# 21
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
I voted for the double solution with independent and hybrid parts. Why? Well, storywise we still have a Romulan Empire that is alive and kicking, but also border colonies with the Federation that want to defect. Both can be interesting for different reasons. The Empire would give us another evil faction, and the Romulans were some of the cooler villains of Star Trek, if you ignore everything starting with Nemesis.
Federation-allied Romulans are interesting because of Spocks reunification movement and the things it could lead to if they are suddenly back in the same faction with the Vulcans. I think of the diplomatic mission with the Romulan ambassador. The resulting story arcs could be great.
This nicely sums up my view on the subject as well. If Cryptic needs another year or two to properly add this, so be it. I'd rather they take their time than release something incomplete and barely functional.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
That is a very good point. The majority of players play Fed, so if they can play Roms while still being a part of the Fed faction, why would they actually play the Rom faction?
To experience new Romulan-specific missions, to be really nasty, to play not only Romulans but also Remans and Hirogen and to fly Romulan ships?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
With the goal of being a stand alone faction. After the KDF debacle, the Devs now have a much better basis for what is the satrting core of a faction needed.
Its really not even POSSIBLE to repeat the KDF debacle. The reason is, at launch KDF ONLY had PvP and Empire defense. However, at the very least any new faction will have:

1) star clusters
2) PvP
3) featured episodes
4) Foundry content
5) crafting
6) STFs

All of those things already exist, so its pretty obvious the Devs would include them in any new faction. That may not be alot compared to the huge amount of episodes the Feds have, but its a TON compared to what the KDF had at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
To experience new Romulan-specific missions, to be really nasty, to play not only Romulans but also Remans and Hirogen and to fly Romulan ships?
I can only assume Dan meant that the hybrid Rom faction meant those species and ships in the Fed and KDF faction. After all, there are Gorn and Orion ships in the KDF faction.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I voted for the double solution with independent and hybrid parts.

I see it as this:

KDF-Ram: They working together to cut up the Fed space.
Fed-Ram: Trying to rebuild in a peaceful manner/ heal their wounds.
Rem: They know only the order of the old ways. They dislike both the Fed and KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
I can only assume Dan meant that the hybrid Rom faction meant those species and ships in the Fed and KDF faction. After all, there are Gorn and Orion ships in the KDF faction.
I think if there would be a hybrid model that gives them an independent faction and parts of them in the other factions it would be more like the Klingons in the Federation. Not mentioning that Remans and Hirogen don't fit into the Federation and unlike the Romulan border colonies they never sent any signals that they want to join. Maybe with one Romulan-specific ship they can get as Rear Admirals like the D'Kyr or the coming Andorian ship.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Trying to cram the Romulans inside the existing factions is an /epic fail, and it greatly disturbs me that stahl keeps talking about this.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
I don't believe that is what he meant at all. He said.

Quote:
If the Romulan faction joins the game - you will start in your own area - and have your own storyline, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I don't believe that is what he meant at all. He said.
If they start in their own area, why wouldnt they be using their own ships? Also, here something he said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl
We are in fact discussing Romulans and how to get more of their story and faction into the game. We have always talked about the next faction we add to the game being Romulan. This would involve them having their own ships and storyline content. It is a big endeavor and as we've learned with the KDF, not something we could do in the span of a single update. So our long term plans are working on ways to start tackling this over multiple updates but I've no specific dates to give on when you'll see a Romulan playable faction.
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2158
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
What makes you think that Romulans will be the next faction added to Star Trek Online?

The devs have said they do want to add a third faction, but last I remember (please correct me if I'm wrong) they still hadn't decided if it was going to be Romulan or Cardassian.