Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Am I the only one who finds it a little bit suspicious that the (completely useless) Delta Flyer was released at the same time as 'The Vault' (the first mission in the game to require a shuttle)? Was the content of 'The Vault' written as it was to support C-Store purchases? How many people panic bought the delta flyer because they thought they had to? More than a couple I suspect if Zone chat was anything to go buy.

Is this the start of the C-Store's plans for universal domination?

Find out the answers to this and other things in the next exciting weekly episode:

"Sehlat Cub Conundrum" where you journey into the heart of the shattered remains of Romulus and use a Pet to sniff out the Praetor in hiding. *disclaimer, pets are available via the c-store or Q's crazy fountain game only.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Well I for one welcome our new Galactic overlords.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Anyone who thought they "had" to buy the Delta Flyer for the mission needs to continue to work on improving their detrimentally lacking reading skills.

Not only have the devs discussed the mission here on the forums, before the mission was released I believe, but in the mission instructions itself, the player is told that they need a shuttle craft. They have 3 options, Type-8, Delta Flyer, or runabout. Again, here and in the mission assignment info, the player is told they will be issued a type-8 shuttle craft. And a n extra ship slot bonus! So if they somehow still think they "need" to buy the Delta Flyer, they've got bigger problems that should get worked on first.

So no, I don't think this is some new conspiracy related to the C-Store. If it is, Cryptic needs to get better at evil plots to steal all of our monies. But, according to you, maybe they don't...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Donovan
Anyone who thought they "had" to buy the Delta Flyer for the mission needs to continue to work on improving their detrimentally lacking reading skills.

Not only have the devs discussed the mission here on the forums, before the mission was released I believe, but in the mission instructions itself, the player is told that they need a shuttle craft. They have 3 options, Type-8, Delta Flyer, or runabout. Again, here and in the mission assignment info, the player is told they will be issued a type-8 shuttle craft. And a n extra ship slot bonus! So if they somehow still think they "need" to buy the Delta Flyer, they've got bigger problems that should get worked on first.

So no, I don't think this is some new conspiracy related to the C-Store. If it is, Cryptic needs to get better at evil plots to steal all of our monies. But, according to you, maybe they don't...
Ah but that adresses only one small aspect of what I said doesn't it? (also the bit that was kind of tongue in cheek).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2011, 06:12 AM
I think this is one of the smarter releases of C-Store content they did. They timed the Delta Flyer release with the release of a mission where it could be useful.

That's clever marketing.

That the Delta Flyer influenced the decision to make this mission play in The Vault seems unlikely. The Vault is an amazing game asset - to create that to get some more players to buy a Delta Flyer is ridicilous. They could have done that way cheaper.

In fact, there are good signs that they didn't just do it for a "cash grab". We get a free shuttle token (minor to meaningless) and a free ship slot (major costly C-Store item) to go with it. That's pretty cool.

This is something that others (*cough*Darren_Kitlor*coug*) have proposed before - create free game content that can be used with or without C-Store stuff, but release C-Store stuff playing into it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Elvis is alive
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
Elvis is alive
I think he's the manager at my local KFC.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Am I the only one who finds it a little bit suspicious that the (completely useless) Delta Flyer was released at the same time as 'The Vault' (the first mission in the game to require a shuttle)? Was the content of 'The Vault' written as it was to support C-Store purchases? How many people panic bought the delta flyer because they thought they had to? More than a couple I suspect if Zone chat was anything to go buy.

Is this the start of the C-Store's plans for universal domination?

Find out the answers to this and other things in the next exciting weekly episode:

"Sehlat Cub Conundrum" where you journey into the heart of the shattered remains of Romulus and use a Pet to sniff out the Praetor in hiding. *disclaimer, pets are available via the c-store or Q's crazy fountain game only.
No, this is not the start of anything. The fact that you are clearly ignoring that the Delta Flyer is obtainable through craftable means shows a level of intent from the C-Store chip on your shoulder. Also adding to the fact that you are given a Shuttle to begin with, so mission content is not dictated at all and likely never will. Cryptic have given players so many options to earn in game now. You seem to keep making threads and ignoring this huge fact.

With regards to the Delta Flyer, the option is there to buy it now, or wait till the end of this featured series when the crafting mission goes live. I have 4000 Atari Points currently, and guess what. I didn't buy the Shuttle, i'm going to craft one myself when the time arises. Its not dictating anything ><
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
Elvis is alive
I think he's the manager at my local KFC.
I saw him at 7-Eleven just yesterday.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2011, 07:47 AM
people asked for the delta flyer so i dont think its actually some grand conspiracy that they release it with some actual content to use it. was it coordinates. yes it probably was. why release a shuttle mission then bring the flyer out 2 months later. does it maximise their profits, again probably. if people want to shell money out on sto then i thank them for helping to fund the game.

facts are you can use the free shuttle and free ship slot they give you, or buy a runabout that they decreased in price from about 150'000 EC to 20'000 EC.

Or you can wait and craft the flyer for free later.

If you buy the flyer then you also get an extra delta flyer pet as well.

the delta flyer was requested by players, cryptic released it. people asked for missions involving shuttle, cryptic released it. if you have to buy the shuttle simply because its there then thats your business and your problem. if you buy the flyer thinking you need it without bothering to read all of the posts about it, asking someone or just failing to engage your brain, then thats also your business and problem. there are plenty of ways to do the mission for free.