Lt. Commander
# 131
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Great feedback and I can assure you, we have been debating ways to address this on the content side of things.

One personal note - I'm sorta a fan of starting and ending big missions in your ready room, but at some point I start to worry if it would get tedius. The teaming concern aside, I'm curious what you think about it since you mentioned it.
I like the idea very much, in fact I'd take it a step further and allow players to go to the ready room and create a course based on a series of missions you accept, basically it would let you order your missions in progress into an order that then becomes a course.

once you go to the bridge on your ship you set the course and then in the sector space screen when you enable astrometrics you see the path and a button that says resume course.

when you click resume course the ship travels through sector space towards the next system in the course list.

it's a bit like autopilot, but you create the order of systems, stations to stop for repairs and resupply and it would add another in ship gameplay mechanic that could be ignored, or used based on the player.
Lt. Commander
# 132
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Great feedback and I can assure you, we have been debating ways to address this on the content side of things.

One personal note - I'm sorta a fan of starting and ending big missions in your ready room, but at some point I start to worry if it would get tedius. The teaming concern aside, I'm curious what you think about it since you mentioned it.
I think starting the mission in the Ready Room would be cool if their was a zoom in to your ship at the beginning while the narration plays just like TOS.

If that's too much I am fine just starting missions in the Ready Room. Besides then I get to visit my selected Bridge more.
Lt. Commander
# 133
02-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel

Klingons *really* need Diplomacy at this point, since it provides different story results. The reason I say this is - My character ISN'T KLINGON. I'm on the KDF's side, but I am not, personally, a Klingon. A lot of people on the KDF side aren't - so there's no reason why we wouldn't be willing and able to negotiate to some degree. Klingons themselves aren't stupid enough to never negotiate anyway.
My Klingon Faction Toon is also not a Klingon and can use Tribbles and have a Selhet. Why not Diplomacy as well? Good Post.
Lt. Commander
# 134
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Screenshot of Hakeev

Definitely a Liberated Borg. Wonder if this ties in with our favorite assimilated Romulan.
Nice shot. That right there answers my question. Though now my mind is generating tons of new ones, including the thought of him being tied in with the assimilated Romulan.

/ponder
Lt. Commander
# 135
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBuzzard
I've completed the initial mission twice ( 2 charactors ). I must say I did enjoy it thoroughly. Although the first time I did NOT get the patterns for the beam weapons. Seems like there were a couple of minor items missing that we did not get with our primary toon come to think of it.

However, with our engineering toon it was really nicely done (even the big explosion at the end was VERY clear !

By the time we got to "MINE ENEMY" I was really looking forward to the entire episode. I was not quite sure what to make to make of the "enemy" Romulans that was "necessary" to fight out in the village area. "Knock unconscious" would be a better option if we're trying not to stir up trouble unless absolutely neccessary.

Once inside the mine ... excellent ! I did not get to see the horda even though I went into the right areaa although there were all sorts of the eggs to be seen. (I must not have gone deeply enough.) NICE work on the cave BTW.

Nice touch with the cave in at the end !

Voice overs are working nicely !

Over all .. if the Dev team keeps this sort of thing up ... they're going to mess around and have a first class game on their hands !

Keep up the good work! This sort of thing makes for a really good change of pace AND keeps our interest in what is going on !
part TWO

(sorry .. I had to cut the first one short. I've been on the go all day !)

Before we say anything that sounds too negative I might add that the attempt to mix diplomatic solutions in with the rest is over all good. Yes, there are a couple of bugs. BUT IMHO there is a genuine effort to work with the general population of STO and provide the sorts of missions that will be appealing to the vast varitey of players that are obviously well represented in so many ways.

IMHO Cryptic gets a gold star for making the efforts in this area. Improvements ? Yes. In time that will come as well.

I also liked the use of the ready room at the end of the mission. The next time it might be in another part of the ship (maybe the bridge, consulting all major B/O for input).

Over all .. excellent !
Lt. Commander
# 136
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
My overall feeling is that Diplomatic Rank should provide either a shortcut or possibly an additional mission reward. (Ie. triggers an accolade which triggers another mission, ala the KA Borg.)

I don't think even as a full Ambassador on my main that diplomatic rank should be the only way to achieve a peaceful solution.

But it might be tricky otherwise, whereas a Diplomat might be able to cut through, picking the Diplomatic option every time, whereas a non-diplomat might have to think more about what they say.

I also think, rarely, the diplomatic option should lead to a worse outcome.
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-13-2011, 07:03 PM
One thing I do find interesting is that if a ready room can be flagged for an interactive object and a waypoint...

They could theoretically flag ship interior to trigger combat.

Of course, the really funny part is if you, say, invite a friend to check out your ship who isn't on the mission and trigger an ambush.

Or simultaneously play multiple missions with ship ambushes. If you timed them right, you might have a ton of enemies on your ship, all attacking eachother if they're different factions.

What is interesting to me is that since the interior uses a single, static map, if you played through a bunch of missions and saved the ending on your interior up, you could theoretically, say, do 5 missions, all but the end, and then hit up your ship interior to finish them all up at once.
Lt. Commander
# 138
02-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Quote:
How crazy would it be if you elected to start the mission from inside your ship, when you finished you returned there? However, if you picked up the mission from outside the bridge (the current way) then you end the mission as we do now.

For me personally I would LOVE the idea, however I can see it being quite annoying to folks who just want to "get on with it". (As an aside I also prefer "walking" places instead of running, so I'm confident I'm in the minority).

If there's no way to make it optional, then I have to say hold off until there's a means of providing a way to skip the extra steps. If I could I'd love to start each mission from either the ready room or bridge, walk down to the transporter, beam to wherever I have to go, then when I'm done beam back up to the transporter room and debrief my away team in the conference room.
Lt. Commander
# 139
02-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:

The TOS way would be a final meeting on the bridge where some quips are exchanged and we learn the lesson of the day.

I am not sure if there was a common way to end episodes in the other shows...
Lt. Commander
# 140
02-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
My overall feeling is that Diplomatic Rank should provide either a shortcut or possibly an additional mission reward. (Ie. triggers an accolade which triggers another mission, ala the KA Borg.)

I don't think even as a full Ambassador on my main that diplomatic rank should be the only way to achieve a peaceful solution.

But it might be tricky otherwise, whereas a Diplomat might be able to cut through, picking the Diplomatic option every time, whereas a non-diplomat might have to think more about what they say.

I also think, rarely, the diplomatic option should lead to a worse outcome.
Reminds me, I did the mission with a Ferengi today and he mentioned a Bribe System.

I think that would be a pretty cool thing to implement for Ferengi characters and for the Klingons, Orion players being able to do that as well.

Perhaps a type of intimidation traite as well for threatening species like Nausciaans and Lethians.