Lt. Commander
# 81
02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I had a lot of fun with the episode, Cryptic. But alas I was not brave enough to delve deeper into the room with the burned remains on the floor near all the silver orbs an that odd circular tunnel mouth near by. I kept seeing in my mind that one guy in the ToS episode screaming right before, well, you know.
Lt. Commander
# 82
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

First off really enjoyed this episode so much better than the shuttle craft one! Really good story and looking forward to the continuation.

But I would love some clarification on the Cardassian reports in the base. First off one says they have applied for Federation membership and its stalled? Does this mean we should soon be seeing something of Cardassian option in the C-store for the Federation? If this is the case is their a time frame cause I would hate to play through with an Alien Cardassian only to have to re-create a little down the line when finally after over a year of begging Cardassians make it into the playable races!

Second how likely is a Romulan Cardassian True way Alliance? Is this on the books could we be seeing a full faction for the 2 most interesting of Star Trek races or is this just a dream in the writers eye and unlikely to make it to cannon or into game?
From a certain point of view this makes sense, the current cardassian union isn't in the shape to wage war on anyone, the true way on the other hand (with a little bit alpha quadrant dominion) should still have many ships (of the 75 galor + smaller /dominion ships -losses) but no territory and no allies, and sela already provided a home to refugees once.
Both Factions come with a limited amount of Species and Canonical Ingame Ships.
If Cryptic starts to pool both Factions into one it would take considerably less ressources for them while the resulting playerbase would be (possibly) even larger than the klinks one, also they would have to create additional content for just one additional Faction, not 2.

PS:I wouldn't wonder if one of the the next 1-2 Featured Series is about the True Way to flesh out the spoonheads to be ready for a release together with the Romulan Star Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 83
02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Mission structure has improved significantly, and I too took notice of all the environmental details. If you played the remastered episode you'll notice Cryptic is definitely getting its fan service in order. I like the 'type-officer-only' bits because it definitely encourages some grouping where it was once unnecessary. You don't have to get a party together, but to hit up all the optional objectives you'll have to play with other people.

*clap clap clap*

I've been truly impressed with Cryptic, they've done a lot to make sure the fan base is happy and has much to look forward to. Anyone who doesn't believe that should take a break to play DCUO sometime, the game is good and has potential but the servers go down without notice and stay down for hours. It's obvious Cryptic is a dedicated team and it really shows in their work, and the fact we usually have a good idea about what is going on.
Lt. Commander
# 84
02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Great, great work devs! This is without doubt one of the best episodes that I have play so far. The specifics accolades foreach class, the accolade for teamwork, the accolade for save the Horta seemed fantastic. Not to mention the mining colony, so full of life, with people and their concerns. Brilliant.

As a suggestion, Is it possible to have mini-missions in this type of maps? Because, for example, the problem of the colonist looking for his lost brother in the mines had been a good excuse to have a mini mission ... say that an "humanitarian" one.
Lt. Commander
# 85
02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I do love the bits that help if you have a team, giving you multiple ways of accomplishing the goals, but Cryptic does really need to work on the way missions handle teams. Since the character I used had low diplomacy I never got to see any of the options my teammate was talking about, then of course the 'go to your bridge' team bug and not being able to complete the mission in one ready room was a downer. It would be nice if they fixed the teaming issues so it doesn't lessen the experience from going with a team to explore all the possibilities.
Lt. Commander
# 86
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSpot
I do love the bits that help if you have a team, giving you multiple ways of accomplishing the goals, but Cryptic does really need to work on the way missions handle teams. Since the character I used had low diplomacy I never got to see any of the options my teammate was talking about, then of course the 'go to your bridge' team bug and not being able to complete the mission in one ready room was a downer. It would be nice if they fixed the teaming issues so it doesn't lessen the experience from going with a team to explore all the possibilities.
Great feedback and I can assure you, we have been debating ways to address this on the content side of things.

One personal note - I'm sorta a fan of starting and ending big missions in your ready room, but at some point I start to worry if it would get tedius. The teaming concern aside, I'm curious what you think about it since you mentioned it.
Lt. Commander
# 87
02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Great feedback and I can assure you, we have been debating ways to address this on the content side of things.

One personal note - I'm sorta a fan of starting and ending big missions in your ready room, but at some point I start to worry if it would get tedius. The teaming concern aside, I'm curious what you think about it since you mentioned it.
Ready Room, Observation Lounge (We need a good senior staff roundtable debriefing!) down to Sickbay to question someone we rescue, a cargo bay to examine some recovered artifact, or some science lab to study some anomaly data...

Doing things in our ships will NEVER get old and will just serve to remind us we're not flying around in toys.
Lt. Commander
# 88
02-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post

If you're going to do this, VARY it (depending on the mission of course, when you have a mission situation that might fit.) - ie: Make the player visit the ship's other ship areas (Engineering, the Sickbay, the Engineering/Science lab, or hell, the Captains personal quarters, etc.) That would at least give the current ship interiors SOME use in game; and maybe make more players aware of the various ship interior areas areas all player ships have.
Lt. Commander
# 89
02-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Ready Room, Observation Lounge (We need a good senior staff roundtable debriefing!) down to Sickbay to question someone we rescue, a cargo bay to examine some recovered artifact, or some science lab to study some anomaly data...

Doing things in our ships will NEVER get old and will just serve to remind us we're not flying around in toys.
This.

It was a very well put together episode, one of the best to date i'd say. If this is what is to come with STO's content - assuming you can keep the bar at this level then i'm looking forward to the future FE's.
Lt. Commander
# 90
02-12-2011, 11:53 PM
If you guys need ideas for 'establishing shots,' etc. I'd recommend rewatching some tv trek - there's lots of interesting methods of conveying story info in all the shows.

I've recently started rewatching the early seasons of tng and ds9 - and there's some interesting storytelling methods in there!

tos has some great inspirational bits too.
No shortage of ideas from the shows/movies =)