Lt. Commander
# 1 TUTORIAL: It's just awful.
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I hear they're reworking the tutorial, which is good... because truth be told the setup they have now is just positively awful.

There's so much about the game that the tutorial doesn't even begin to cover and the tooltips are frequently just as bad. Only now, after about two weeks of play am I finally beginning to put a lot of these things together and I'm sure there's tons I just don't know about.

There needs to be some sort of advanced tutorial or something. Figuring out the action is the easiest part of this game, figuring out how everything works together is something else entirely. This game is frequently maddeningly vague about how some things fit together.

So, Cryptic, just letting you know I REALLY think your tutorial is incredibly inadequate and it's frustrating having to spam zone chat to figure things out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
i thought it was fine. your right in that it does not tell you everything little thing about the game. i cant say i expect it to though or even believe it should. i always thought that finding stuff out myself was part of the fun.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm resisting (barely) the urge to be incredibly snarky here. The simple fact is that a tutorial that adequately explained everything about STO, or any MMO for that matter, would be incredibly unwieldy and long, not to mention the fact that they would have to update it constantly as new features are added. MMOs are a constantly changing medium, and tutorials are meant merely to get your toes wet, so to speak. It wouldn't be as much fun if they held your hand through every little thing, Captain Revo is right, part of the fun is in exploring the limits of the system for yourself.

The tutorial does get us to the point where we can start experimenting on our own without too much trouble. The basics of combat in ground and space and navigation are all there, which is really all that needs to be there. Its not like the game between tutorial and lt. commander is exactly hard or anything, that serves as a more camouflaged introduction and tutorial as well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Be more specific about the things you think are missing and the connections that you think should be made and they may consider adding them, if they haven't already considered the same things themselves.

A short Communications Tutorial (like the one in my sig) would be a good thing, for example.

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
There's so much about the game that the tutorial doesn't even begin to cover and the tooltips are frequently just as bad. Only now, after about two weeks of play am I finally beginning to put a lot of these things together and I'm sure there's tons I just don't know about.
Not even bothering to avoid a snarky remark: If you knew how everything worked in the game just from doing the 10-15 minute tutorial, there'd be no point in playing the game, now, would there?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
This is my first online game, and I've never had a problem with it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
The tutorial does exactly what it's supposed to; teach you the most basic mechanics of the game, so that you can play.

What you seem to be asking for isn't basic tutorial improvement, but more advanced tutorials available for learning the finer points of the game. There, I can agree with you. Which I feel awful for saying after you so obviously trolled the forums not that long ago.

So, I'm not sure if you did it intentionally, but you actually managed to raise a good point.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Perhaps creating a "Starfleet Academy" web based series to help fill in the details would be the way to go. Sounds like an excellent project for a creative fan! (as I doubt the Devs have time for something like this)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2011, 12:34 PM
The real STO tutorials:And of course the forums. Lots of other resources out there, too, like STOked, that are worth watching for some good information.

But yes, the tutorial (and the tooltips) do indeed leave out a bunch of stuff. The upcoming redesign should help.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Tutorial is great for new players.
It introduces things in a controlled manner.

These basic skills are needed in order to play the game.

The only problem with tutorial is not including a "skip button" for players who have previously completed it.