Lt. Commander
There are more and more sandbox elements in STO, which gives the players great freedom to choose from a wide range of options. While this overwhelms players positivily in a first step, there will be and is disorientation and frustration in the second step.(especially for new players) This freedom feels on a theoretical basis good, and may result in positiv ratings but i`m quite sure, the game would be better, if there were more structure and less freedom. Here are some examples

Traits
-> first look: awesome
-> second look: most players haven`t read everything and so they have the feeling, that there selection was not perfect.

Skills
-> first look: wow - so many options!
-> second look: what should i choose? what is best for me? it isn`t possible to say on the early levels which direction you should skill - so there is frustration and desorientation.

Missions
-> first look: cool - many missions, and i can hail the contact directly. Fine.
-> second look: this is very confusing, there are so many missions in so many different locations in space. I can`t make a good way through it. I need to do some here, some there. There are so many different types of missions. I need to learn everything from beginning.

The new FE are all available in lower levels. I know why, but this makes the situation more confusing. Why not despense the missions over the whole level range...so evertyhing stays more well-arranged and i can be thrilled more than once to find new great missions available...

So please: Give players more structure - we need it - like every human does.

[sorry for my bad english - would have written it in the german subforum, but we and our suggestions are not taken seriously there]
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Adding structure where it isn't needed is never a good option, especially when all it would take to get around all of the problems you mentioned would be a little forethought and research done by the player at character creation and as they level about what they want to play.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
I disagree... Choice shouldn't be taken away from players. Choice is always a good thing. Personally, I adore the freeform nature of both STO and (as a lifetimer for that game too) CO.

Saying that however, one thing I do think we need to see more of, and where Cryptic heavily falls down on regarding both games, is more guidance. Both games have a massive issue in the lack of documentation on how skills and attributes affect each other. With more documentation and guidance for new players, provided by Cryptic there would be less confusion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
i prefer the huge variety and the 'go do what ever you want when ever want' approach. the problem is that the game is half and half. the old missions unlock by increasing rank, and new mission unlock at level 6 and then scale up. both approaches are fine but a mixture can be confusing for new players.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Honestly, I prefer the freedom but I agree with you on some points.

Traits:-

Completely agree on this, needs a trait respec option. Restricted enough so they can't be changed at a whim but available enough teo make people seriously look into teir trait selection and make the best choices for themselves.

Skills:-

Completely disagree. There is a button to select a power and have the skill menu highlight what skills improve what powers allowing you to make a more informed choice based on your current setup. If you need anymore information the forums are a good place to go, or even asking in game can help a lot. Furthermore, skill respecs are readily available, 1 free at each promotion and when they run out you can buy them for in game merits (not exactly hard to obtain) or Atari Tokens for those low on merits and patience.

Missions:-

It can seem overwhelming if you level a bit faster than intended, say by doing too much pvp or repeatables, however if you do each mission as they come they wll generally open up in an orderly fashion as you level. Also, for many players it is possible to hit th level cap and still have missions left (for the feds at least) which some may consider the bare minimum of content needed. On a side note, before mission replay, I got quite caught up in the idea of doing all the missions in the proper order. I managed this by using the wiki, if this is a concern for others, they need to look into the resources available to them and now, of course, there is mission replay to put them in the correct order in your logs.

The FE's need to be available to all levels as they have limited-time series rewards. It would be pretty galling if you missed out on the Breen BO or Ophidian Cane because you couldn't hit the required level in time. It's fine as it stands, now you would miss out on them if you just can't be bothered to play the FE's.

This freedom is a great thing, it allows players to play and progress as they want. If they don't like some of the missions, they don't have to do them. If they feel the rewards aren't worth their time, they don't have to bother.

I can see what you're getting at but the freedom afforded in this game is, IMO, beneficial to a players long term enjoyement of the game.

Also... Humans need structure? While this is a debate for another time and place, I would say some humans are quite capable of creating their own structure.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I have to disagree with you personally. (and really quick - by the way, your English is better then most people, so don't worry about that.)

Traits & Skills-
While I agree that there could and should be some improvements to the explanations behind certain traits and skills and what they do, but having more options is far better then having less in my experience. It's up to me - the player - to make sure I read through my selections and try to make an informed decision on what I want my character to be.

Missions -
Again, the problem isn't that there is too many missions, it's that at times there's a lack of direction in where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do. An improved "career path" (maybe you could get hints from your bridge officers if you get stuck) would smooth that over. Everyone goes through content at a different pace and with a different strategy, it's making the system work in a way that supports as many styles as possible that's the issue. And I would argue that there aren't enough missions at certain levels.

Featured Episodes -
Locking folks out of brand new content that everyone else is talking about and experiencing is something I am wholeheartedly against. It guilds walks within a community, making some feel that they aren't "special" enough to participate, and fosters an elitist attitude by those that CAN complete that content.

That being said, there's nothing forcing anyone to play the featured episodes at a certain rank. If anything the fact that you can play them at any level offers yet another choice in how you want to play the game.

---
I agree that there needs to be more information in the tutorial, and more options to help folks out when they get stuck, but just because some players have issues with certain elements of the game design, there's absolutely no reason to remove sandbox elements in favor of a more theme-park style game.

There's a lot of different playstyles out there, and to be successful an MMO needs to at least attempt to attract as many as possible, and not limit itself to only one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
most of what you've written i personally disagree with

the human experience is different for different people, some people like to explore, climb that hill and see whats on the other side. some like to look at a map and know before they get to the top.

either way there's no right and wrong way, its up to the individual to take from the experience what they will.

many of the things that you write about you will "know" with experience, or think you do, after all opinions vary. :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Traits
-> first look: awesome
-> second look: most players haven`t read everything and so they have the feeling, that there selection was not perfect.

Traits are good because they can give you an edge occasionally, but they are not THAT important at the end.

Skills
-> first look: wow - so many options!
-> second look: what should i choose? what is best for me? it isn`t possible to say on the early levels which direction you should skill - so there is frustration and desorientation.

You get free re-specs. Also there aren't THAT many choices. I ended up spending XP on skills I don't care about because I up-ed everything I wanted and I still had XP left to the next level.

Missions
-> first look: cool - many missions, and i can hail the contact directly. Fine.
-> second look: this is very confusing, there are so many missions in so many different locations in space. I can`t make a good way through it. I need to do some here, some there. There are so many different types of missions. I need to learn everything from beginning.

Soo many missions sure.
- STFs
- 10 Defend...,
- 10 Patrol...
- 4 Explore
+ Few dailies.
Once you played 2 of each mission type, you played them all.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2011, 07:57 AM
STO is fine the way it is, in regards to your freedom vs. structure argument, and i for one enjoy the freedom and gameplay of sandbox games (and also, most of our lives are structure, which is why games are generally less so, making it so that we can enjoy ourselves for a bit)
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
STO is fine the way it is, in regards to your freedom vs. structure argument, and i for one enjoy the freedom and gameplay of sandbox games (and also, most of our lives are structure, which is why games are generally less so, making it so that we can enjoy ourselves for a bit)
But don`t you have sometimes the feeling to miss something?

@Phenomenaut: there is a MMO played by 12 millions people which main characteristic is: from simplicity to complexity. So this concept must be an alternative.