First let me say I am way to inebriated to be posting just had a nice dinner with my wife but I will post anyway.
I loved this mission. It is quite likely the best mission I have played in STO. The reasons I like it:
1) The place actually felt alive. People walking around. Animals at play. The "mine" car traveling between buildings. All added a depth of being alive I really adored.
2) There were people I could talk to that had a bearing on what I felt about the place without having them actually be needed to complete the mission. Very nice touch.
3) The cut scenes were well done and I actually had a little bit of sympathy for Jana.. yeah she was a romulan but she seemed dismayed over killing innocent civilizians. It made it that much easier to spare her life later.
4) The diplomacy solution. The guard that could be won over with enough diplomacy points... just cool. Sadly I didn't have enough so he died... still I like that diplo rank actually had a use. More of this please
5) Decoding the data. Just way to cool. Actually have a use for all the missions we have done. All that knowledge gained actually was usefull. Again more of this please.
Overalll I totally had a ball doing this mission.
I would post a negative comment if I had one but I dont. Server issues aside this mission was awesome.
Oh and my new Horta friend was a sweet added bonus.
I completely agree with the OP!
I love reading positive posts like this and not posts complaining about the rewards, etc.
This is the best Weekly released to date and makes me very excited thinking about how all these cool new features are slowly making their way into our everyday game play (ie stranded in space, etc.). I was also impressed with the diplomatic options and got to see first hand how the different Diplomatic ranks effected the outcome, when I played 3 different Feds and 1 Klingon character.
make the zone a persistent social zone so that even if you forget to hand in the mission you can go back and see her. add a vendor to the zone as well. the town is just too nice not to be able to visit it again normally.
I definitely second this... The ambiance of the mining colony was amazing. After we blew up their mine, it wouldn't be a stretch for those Ferengi to start thinking up other ways to recoup their loses. Having a vendor there would make perfect sense.
There's a ton of potential for mini daily missions too. Horta egg collecting, protect the colony from some wild critters, go save someone in the mine, maybe even an aid the planet style mission where you have to bring them some supplies.
I look forward to more areas with the depth of style and ambiance like the mining colony. Excellent work guys!
Like the vast majority of the people posting here, I was very impressed. The look was perfect for a Romulan "Barter Town" and the civilian clothing was very well done. The hoods they wore were excellent. The random refugees turning violent was awesome ("Whoa, easy bro! I don't want your rocks!!").
I didn't get skill points or merits after the mission, either. I have the horta so I obviously completed it. Considering I'm at level cap and can get skill points or merits from any of the dailies it's not a big deal. Just confirming that this happens.
Some things that I felt would have added to the mission:
- Lost brother resolution. The NPC was so well developed that it was surprising that finding his/her brother wasn't a side mission.
- Missed GPL use. This mission was a perfect opportunity to put gold-pressed latinum to good use. Give us an option to ask the refugees how much debt they have, and another option to pay it.
- Tactical mission should be for all careers. Fighting street gangs, as someone else mentioned, can't be more dangerous than the Borg, Hirogen, or Undine. The Tactical sub-mission should be dealing with the big gang boss, or dealing with a large pack of those dog-critters.
- Side missions galore. Animal Control mission. Clean Up The Streets (fight gangs) mission for every career. Aid the Refugee Camp mission (how desperately would they need Entertainment Provisions?).
- Environmental Hazards. The falling rocks while escaping the mine should have injured us and had a chance to interrupt, increasing the tension. I agree that we shouldn't have all day to escape, otherwise we're not actually escaping anything. Also, the mining town looked awesomely dilapidated. Having a random board fall on us, or a ramp give way, would underscore the Detroit-like condition of the place.
- Persistent map. After I escaped the mine the town map had reset, so the gangs I defeated and the randomly violent refugees had all respawned. It was kind of a letdown, especially since all I had left to do was talk to the Ferengi and beam out.
I really liked this mission. This and The Vault pretty much reset the STO benchmark for mission quality. I'm really looking forward to the next mission in this story arc. Keep up the awesome work, Cryptic.
I liked this mission a lot. The mining colony was very well done.
I did kill all data analysts and checked all information records. "Resistance is Futile". Well, seems the Tal'Shiar is a little pessimistic. Maybe a sign some Romulans want to join the Collective on their own terms?
I have gotten into the mine, but I have literally hit a stone wall ?:p (When I try to go into the mine further, I mean I can see the map on the (M ) buttoon, and the map is there, even can see enemy red dots)