Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hello,

STO is getting more and more awesome, we got weekly episodes a gorgeous new old ESD, class-specific content, useful diplomacy.... I have a feeling that the latest episode will be for many people the peak of the current series just like the crazy hologram was the secret star of the Devidian series.... However, it has also reminded me of one thing that's still missing in STO. Children. All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war. But if we have whole cities that are populated by adults and a story about old nursery rhymes (why didn't the Breen just ask a Deferi child? ), now we had a city where peope talked about their children, but there weren't any. Okay, the mission added the third type of child. After Sehlat and Targ cubs we now have young Hortas too. But sometimes it would be nice to see a few playing children somewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-13-2011, 07:20 AM
The only game I can recall playing that has/had children as npc's was Everquest 2... and those kids were seriously Creepy looking.


Edit: Forgot about the kids in WoW... orphans week.... how could I have forgotten?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Hello,

STO is getting more and more awesome, we got weekly episodes a gorgeous new old ESD, class-specific content, useful diplomacy.... I have a feeling that the latest episode will be for many people the peak of the current series just like the crazy hologram was the secret star of the Devidian series.... However, it has also reminded me of one thing that's still missing in STO. Children. All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war. But if we have whole cities that are populated by adults and a story about old nursery rhymes (why didn't the Breen just ask a Deferi child? ), now we had a city where peope talked about their children, but there weren't any. Okay, the mission added the third type of child. After Sehlat and Targ cubs we now have young Hortas too. But sometimes it would be nice to see a few playing children somewhere.
Most games rarely show children to avoid problems. They hint at them by npc's mentioning families, but avoid actually showing them if a situation could lead to a rating change.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Most games rarely show children to avoid problems. They hint at them by npc's mentioning families, but avoid actually showing them if a situation could lead to a rating change.
Agreed since most games have a 18+/Mature rating, having NPC children could probably cause some censorship issues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I played only one MMO (WoW) before STO, and it had NPC children at least in Stormwind, Orgrimmar and Silvermoon. Also they had their own event week.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I would submit that since the Federation is in a state of war with several factions, officer's families are discouraged from living shipside.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-13-2011, 07:37 AM
There should be children in social zones though. Risa, Vulcan, Andoria etc...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bactchan View Post
I would submit that since the Federation is in a state of war with several factions, officer's families are discouraged from living shipside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
There should be children in social zones though. Risa, Vulcan, Andoria etc...
Exactly. It's not as if all people in the universe spawn as ensigns on a ship next to the Khitomer or in the Great Hall of Quo'nos.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-13-2011, 09:17 AM
People have a hard time discerning reality from fantasy. No seriously. If you kill a character in game that appears to be a child, you will get lots of threads saying STO murdered a child or STO abuses children.

Granted, it's kind of a double standard. I've killed tens of thousands of nazi npcs over the years and no one calls me a war hero. But put children in and it could be a problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I agree that we need to see children in social zones...as well as seeing the other genders of the races we've already seen the males of.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM.