Lt. Commander
Hello,

STO is getting more and more awesome, we got weekly episodes a gorgeous new old ESD, class-specific content, useful diplomacy.... I have a feeling that the latest episode will be for many people the peak of the current series just like the crazy hologram was the secret star of the Devidian series.... However, it has also reminded me of one thing that's still missing in STO. Children. All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war. But if we have whole cities that are populated by adults and a story about old nursery rhymes (why didn't the Breen just ask a Deferi child? ), now we had a city where peope talked about their children, but there weren't any. Okay, the mission added the third type of child. After Sehlat and Targ cubs we now have young Hortas too. But sometimes it would be nice to see a few playing children somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2011, 07:20 AM
The only game I can recall playing that has/had children as npc's was Everquest 2... and those kids were seriously Creepy looking.

Edit: Forgot about the kids in WoW... orphans week.... how could I have forgotten?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Hello,

STO is getting more and more awesome, we got weekly episodes a gorgeous new old ESD, class-specific content, useful diplomacy.... I have a feeling that the latest episode will be for many people the peak of the current series just like the crazy hologram was the secret star of the Devidian series.... However, it has also reminded me of one thing that's still missing in STO. Children. All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war. But if we have whole cities that are populated by adults and a story about old nursery rhymes (why didn't the Breen just ask a Deferi child? ), now we had a city where peope talked about their children, but there weren't any. Okay, the mission added the third type of child. After Sehlat and Targ cubs we now have young Hortas too. But sometimes it would be nice to see a few playing children somewhere.
Most games rarely show children to avoid problems. They hint at them by npc's mentioning families, but avoid actually showing them if a situation could lead to a rating change.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Most games rarely show children to avoid problems. They hint at them by npc's mentioning families, but avoid actually showing them if a situation could lead to a rating change.
Agreed since most games have a 18+/Mature rating, having NPC children could probably cause some censorship issues.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I played only one MMO (WoW) before STO, and it had NPC children at least in Stormwind, Orgrimmar and Silvermoon. Also they had their own event week.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I would submit that since the Federation is in a state of war with several factions, officer's families are discouraged from living shipside.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2011, 07:37 AM
There should be children in social zones though. Risa, Vulcan, Andoria etc...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bactchan View Post
I would submit that since the Federation is in a state of war with several factions, officer's families are discouraged from living shipside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
All Trek series had children, sure having them onboard of our ships like in TNG or Voyager would be madness in a time of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
There should be children in social zones though. Risa, Vulcan, Andoria etc...
Exactly. It's not as if all people in the universe spawn as ensigns on a ship next to the Khitomer or in the Great Hall of Quo'nos.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2011, 09:17 AM
People have a hard time discerning reality from fantasy. No seriously. If you kill a character in game that appears to be a child, you will get lots of threads saying STO murdered a child or STO abuses children.

Granted, it's kind of a double standard. I've killed tens of thousands of nazi npcs over the years and no one calls me a war hero. But put children in and it could be a problem.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I agree that we need to see children in social zones...as well as seeing the other genders of the races we've already seen the males of.