Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
Every ship gets only one slot for one shuttle group, unlike on Klingon carriers where there is maybe three or four. Make three different types of attack shuttles for the three different classes.

Cruiser:
Make them more tactical based and increase the amount to 6 per launch. however The shuttles are basically a Fed skin of the Scorpions

Escort:
Launches three shuttles that have twice the hull and shield value of the Cruiser's shuttles. Maybe modified Delta Flyers?

Science:
Launches 4 shuttles that are good at targeting weak points and have more science abilities.

There's a few problems with this.

1. Star Trek doesn't use fighters much, with exception to the Dominion War. In this case, the only ship that's been suggested as a "carrier" type is the Akira. Galaxy and Sovereign classes are the only other ships large enough to handle "fighter wings" all at once.
2. Most escorts are too small for normal shuttles, much less Delta flyer types. The Defiant was only around 120M long, and held a maximum of two small shuttles. The Saber didn't carry any shuttles that I know of. Again, the only escort in-game that's large enough to carry fighters is the Akira.


That being said, Dstahl has already said we will be getting flyable fighters for both Federation and Klingon factions, and that we'll be getting a shuttlebay added to our ship interiors that will let us fly our shuttles without going to a starbase.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
No Fed Carriers, please. The Fighters are as close as Feds should ever get to a carrier.
This.


And stop saying its not a carrier thread! Yes it is! It is just a well veiled one! Instead of saysing lets a get a carrier, you say lets turn all the ships into half carriers!

No. No? NO! No. No no no no no no no no...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Most escorts are too small for normal shuttles, much less Delta flyer types. The Defiant was only around 120M long, and held a maximum of two small shuttles. The Saber didn't carry any shuttles that I know of. Again, the only escort in-game that's large enough to carry fighters is the Akira.
This and not this. Because what's more ridiculous, having a device that launches 3 fighters from a Defiant, or the current device that launches 5 from ANY ship? We already have it, the OP is just suggesting they be Peregrine fighters instead. By making them launch only a set amount from a certain class of ship is a good idea, IMO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
This.


And stop saying its not a carrier thread! Yes it is! It is just a well veiled one! Instead of saysing lets a get a carrier, you say lets turn all the ships into half carriers!

No. No? NO! No. No no no no no no no no...
Well every fed ship in the fleet is now a carrier if you think about it that way. Happy?

I'm not trying to make any carriers at all. I'm just suggesting making the Scorpions that already are in-game, be made a permanent deal for the Feds. Maybe an extremely high tier craftable item?

Anyways, if they were made more exclusive I don't see what's the big deal? It's not like I was suggesting everybody would have access to them, just those who work hard for it.

Even then it's not a big payoff since, guess what, you get the ability to launch 5 pretty weak fighters every 3 minutes anyways.

It's nothing groundbreaking as it's already in-game as the scorpions fighters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
In fact, if it was my decision, I'd have the romulan fighter item removed altogether. Their tactical impact is negligible, it serves only to provide more mess on the screen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I am not saying that feds need a carrier but please get off the its a KDF thing BECAUSE THERE ARE NO KDF CARRIERS that are canon. so the whole argument of it a KDF thing is wrong.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
And stop saying its not a carrier thread! Yes it is! It is just a well veiled one! Instead of saysing lets a get a carrier, you say lets turn all the ships into half carriers!

No. No? NO! No. No no no no no no no no...
even if it is, you're acting as if it's not allowed or something, your opinion isn't the be-all end-all of the forum.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Fighters are cool and all. I don't have any complaints about them being in the game. However, I do find it pretty funny, and sad, that the guys in these fighters have no clue how certain and unavoidable death is at hand when they strap into the cockpit.

It's like right before battle they are all sitting in a room watching a holo-image of the star wars Death Star battle. These jocks get all stoked up watching the tiny rebel fighters evade the big turbo lasers. Exclamations of success arise with cheers, and these brave pilots go man their tiny, elusive fighters...

But this is Star Trek, and death is but a weapon lock away. Tiny shield generators burst like popcorn and pilots melt faster then a fart in the wind. Brave souls, one and all. I salute anyone who has the balls to bring a knife to a gun fight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax73
Fighters are cool and all. I don't have any complaints about them being in the game. However, I do find it pretty funny, and sad, that the guys in these fighters have no clue how certain and unavoidable death is at hand when they strap into the cockpit.

It's like right before battle they are all sitting in a room watching a holo-image of the star wars Death Star battle. These jocks get all stoked up watching the tiny rebel fighters evade the big turbo lasers. Exclamations of success arise with cheers, and these brave pilots go man their tiny, elusive fighters...

But this is Star Trek, and death is but a weapon lock away. Tiny shield generators burst like popcorn and pilots melt faster then a fart in the wind. Brave souls, one and all. I salute anyone who has the balls to bring a knife to a gun fight.
I can't recall how the fighters handled in the DS9 battles, but maybe they're too small / fast and manouverable to get an accurate weapons lock on them?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
no, please no no no
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.