Lt. Commander
# 1 STF's can PUG'ed if only......
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
PEOPLE ACTUALLY LISTEN!!!

A small rant and observation, is that a lot of Pick up groups seem to have a very hard time LISTENING.
No Teamspeak or Vent is not a must have but people need to at least LISTEN to the instructions given in Chat.... Half the time a whole bunch of people are off doing their own thing and not even listening "WHEN PEOPLE ARE SCREAMING AT THEM LIKE THIS IN CHAT!"

People on the forums are right, STF's are "impossible"....... if nobody LISTENS!

And this is why 9 out of 10 PuG's fail Kithomer Accord...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
I feel the pain. I have spent at least 7 hours in the final room of Infected and only completed it twice. People seem to have trouble counting to 3.

I have tried every nice comment, leading by example, positive reinforcement, etc. There is just no saving groups. Sadly I never leave a group early, no matter how bad it is. This feeling of responsibility is what leads to many hours of pain in STFs. I just can't do them now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Testicular electrodes are the only way. Someone who doesn't follow your precise instructions gets a 10 second zap. Any time they act like chimps with ADHD afterwards will earn a 2 second zap with the promise of a full minute zap, should they not get their act together.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
PEOPLE ACTUALLY LISTEN!!!

A small rant and observation, is that a lot of Pick up groups seem to have a very hard time LISTENING.
No Teamspeak or Vent is not a must have but people need to at least LISTEN to the instructions given in Chat.... Half the time a whole bunch of people are off doing their own thing and not even listening "WHEN PEOPLE ARE SCREAMING AT THEM LIKE THIS IN CHAT!"

People on the forums are right, STF's are "impossible"....... if nobody LISTENS!

And this is why 9 out of 10 PuG's fail Kithomer Accord...
Agreed :p.

No really I know exactly where you are coming from. I've lead fully new pugs in KA with ease and suffered up to 1 hr while my team deliberates how to get through a cure gate or how to tackle the boss only to find that if they listened to me in the first place we'd have cleared each obstacle in no time flat.

I'm all set to finish every fed accolade by the time the 400 day accolade pops on Thursday so I'll be finally free to help people in STF's as long as they follow me and bring the equipment I expect like a simple/cheap HD rifle to the cure. If they don't, good luck because I won't be in the mood for idiots and I have NO reason to do them and can leave at any time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
I feel the pain. I have spent at least 7 hours in the final room of Infected and only completed it twice. People seem to have trouble counting to 3.

I have tried every nice comment, leading by example, positive reinforcement, etc. There is just no saving groups. Sadly I never leave a group early, no matter how bad it is. This feeling of responsibility is what leads to many hours of pain in STFs. I just can't do them now.
Wow that is bad.
I actually managed to do Infected once in a PuG that listened perfectly and succeeded the final room on the third try.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
wow 7 hours in infected? God id shoot myself its the easiest by far and the shortest. OP is right if no one listens you fail. I strongly suggest doing them with a fleet 1st time so you learn it the right way. Then you can do a pug and tell people if they dont know what to do how to do it, IF they listen.

STF are hardly impossible, i completed them all with a friend cause he was an awesome teacher, so awesome i joined his fleet. They are actually fun if you know what your doing but the devs made them take far to long. 1 1/2 hours is the longest any instance need ever be if you do everything right and know what your doing. Ive spent over 6 hours in the cure cause people were tarded.

Watch the video guides 1st, tell everyone in pug who hasnt to do it and it will help a lot. And ya sometimes there are people who just refuse to listen and follow simple directions like hey dont agro 5 groups of borg. My friend hated kicking people but after someone has caused 10 cluster ***** i said give me lead ill kick them. Im nice but im not going to take 7 hours to run something just cause 1 or 2 people have their heads up their ***.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
We did something like a 12 hour run of Terradome when it was still on Tribble for testing.

I started off playing with Swedes and Germans then Brits then some Americans started joining./ We substituted out players.

Frustrating as heck, especially since we were some of the first people playing it on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Most PUG's consist of players Solo'ing whilst in a group.

This is why so many people solo - it is far less Frustrating

My hat off to you Dunnlang

I tend to solo a lot due to several years of bad PUG experience. Players leaving part way through, sometimes even within sight of the end ...

... I recall one time, during a particularly tough fight in another mmo both healers left. We barely managed to survive that fight but there was no way we could continue so we all had to quit ... so close to the end too ...

... second attempt & ... both healers left again in almost the same place! Different healers too.

Third attempt & ... I don't think I ever got past that mission.

Just so you know, Dunnlang, there's not many that stick it out to the bitter end .... /salute
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Testicular electrodes are the only way. Someone who doesn't follow your precise instructions gets a 10 second zap. Any time they act like chimps with ADHD afterwards will earn a 2 second zap with the promise of a full minute zap, should they not get their act together.
I second this. DStahl make sure this gets implemented. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2011, 11:38 AM
There are many reasons that groups, PUGs especially, can fail. I just refuse to let my abandoning them be one of the reasons. The only thing that makes frustration worse is when some one actively does something to hurt everyone else.

I recognize that there may be language barriers. Players for whom this may be an issue need to type something at least. I speak German, and enough Japanese to convey instructions, and I am sure others in PUGs may be able to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately most problem group members say absolutely nothing the whole time, refusing to respond to any chat.

Lack of communication kills. I respect that. I really wish more players would understand that we need to work together in some cases. We're not a group of 5 individual Rambos.

The real problem is that STO does not foster or require teamwork at any time prior to the STFs. It's like giving a 16 year old car keys for the first time and sending them off to a rally race. Hope they know how to shift and listen to a co-driver.

Some day I hope to revisit Infected and see the other STFs. For now, i'm still trying to get over my first few experiences. I have not figured out when I next have 5+ hours to devote to an STF.