Lt. Commander
# 1 How to Make Energy Credits
02-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Okay, for many of us this is going to sound very passe and common sense. Let's face it--there are many n00bs joining our ranks all the time. I figured this would be a good post for them, as well as a refresher for the rest of us.

1. SELL DATA SAMPLES
This is obvious in and of itself. But less obvious is that new captains really have no great gear to craft, and have little to no incentive to use data samples for Research and Development (item crafting) at Memory Alpha. The best thing to do with them is sell them on the exchange. Otherwise you can always hold on to them (in the bank) for future R&D use. I usually sell my commons and save the rares.

You also don't have to farm data just for sale. If you just pick up the ones that appear during normal missions, you'll make a decent amount of EC. On the other hand, if you want to be rich, or you are saving for a particular item, by all means farm. That's what the respawning anomalies in the clusters are for.

Note: when selling data, look ahead in the exchange listing for stacks for sale. You can make more money and save space in your exchange postings (since you only have 20) by selling multiple at once.

2. SELL RANDOM USELESS LOOT
Okay, not all loot is useless. But it is common to come across things you just don't need. This can be a console, a weapon, ship devices, and so on. If you don't plan on using it, sell it.

Note: make sure you check out the discard value when you look up the exchange price. Sometimes it is more lucrative to simply dispose of something than to sell it. Another thing to watch for is the traveling merchant freighters, salesmen and certain Ferengi found on starbases (vendors). Sometimes selling to them can fetch more then the exchange/discard value.

3. CRAFT ITEMS
You don't have to craft to most valuable items to make money this way. Chances are no one is going to buy that purple MK XI Induction Stabilizer simply because a.) it is WAY overpriced, and b.) it is for very high ranking officers, of which make up the minority of players. Try to stick to the blue MK IV-VIII range for best results. And don't waste rare particles if you don't have to--make sure the item you are crafting is more valuable than the particle trace alone.

Note: Just because an item is purple doesn't automatically make it worth tons of EC.

4. CRAFT AND SELL SCHEMATICS
This is one I think is most overlooked. Some schematics are very expensive, and you can actually net more by selling those than just selling the particles you need to create them. This isn't always the case, however. So look up some of them before you craft them if your intent is to sell.

5. SELL GEAR FROM MISSION REPLAYS
There's plenty of incentive to replay missions, from getting nerve tonics to accolades to the bigger XP rewards. What I've found is that sometimes I don't need to use the gear I get from the replay. So many times I will simply sell whatever I get from the reward. Not all items can be sold; the Horta Hatchling, the Subspace Modulator and the Proton Rifle are examples. But there's a ton of other stuff you can get that will raise your EC count in no time.

6. HOLD ON TO VERY RARE PURPLES
Purples very commonly fetch the highest prices in general, but the most rare are the ones you want to hold on to. For example, the Explosive Party Popper Q gave me for the anniversary celebration will be worth more next year (assuming the item isn't reissued). Also look at the Breen Bridge Officer. Last I checked they were going for around 5M. Limited edition purples are always a good investment. Just keep in mind that it can take time for them to accumulate mega value, and when and if they do it could also be hard to sell said items simply because of the huge price tag. This may be becoming the case with the Breen Officer.

7. RECHECK PRICES IF ITEMS DON'T SELL
Sometimes it can take a while for an item to sell on the exchange. But other times someone posted an item at a lower price, pushing your merch down on the items listing. Personally, I don't leave anything up for more than a few days for this reason. If it isn't selling by then, there's probably a a competitor out there. When this happens, simply take down the item and repost with a suitable price. There have been times when I just discarded things to make space for more valuable items in my exchange list. Whichever you choose, you will be getting EC.

Note: Don't go crazy trying to underbid you items. As mentioned before, there are more lcrative and simple ways of making money from unused items.

8. CHECK THE VALUE OF EDIBLES (Thanx cheer for this one)
Some foods are worth more than others. Either they are very rare drops or used for Tribble breeding. Overall, tribble foods tend to cost the most. Others, such as Heart of Targ or Cardassian Taspar Egg are hard to come by and can be sold for much more then its in-game value.

*UPDATE: Foods now have colors to identify quality. Keep in mind, though, that like all other tradable items, color does not necessarily determine value of a given food. Also, this change did not directly effect the exchange value of any edible.

9.ACCEPT AND FIGHT IN PVP MATCHES (Thanx CrustyMac for this one)
Win or lose you will get something from a PVP match. This is especially useful when you're just farming or doing cluster missions. This way you can accumulate a good amount of EC in less than a day's worth of play (say, a few hours avg.).

10. SELL OLD SHIP EQUIPMENT (Thanx Ooiue for this one)
Sometimes there is no need to keep low tier ships. But there is usually enough equipment leftover that can be sold. Shields and deflectors, sometimes also consoles, can earn a good amount of EC. Remember only WHITE salvaged ship components can be sold. If you have any other color item, you will have to discard in using your replicator. So salvage parts before you discard your ship!

Note: You can not get EC from all bound ship components. This is especially so with he parts that come with them. Also keep in mind that C-Store ship parts are ALL bound, thus can not be stripped, discarded, reacquired, and sold. Can't sell those blue phasers, sorry.

**ADDITIONAL NOTE**
It is possible to "buy" energy credits from the C-Store. To do this, simply buy a few 1 hour or 8 hour skill bonuses and post them on the exchange. This is really not a good way to earn EC, as there is no reason to spend real money for in-game currency. If you want to, go ahead. It is your money after all. But I for one have found the above methods to be very effective.

Those are the easiest methods I could think of off the top of my head. If anyone wants to add something, you're more than welcome to.

I hope this helps all the n00bs out there.

Azaeroth, Satan of Borg
Vice Admiral/Starfleet Ambassador
Captain/Senior Officer F.T.W.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Very helpful little guide. Having recently returned to the game I'll definitely be able to get some use out of this, been at a bit of a loss as to how to get a decent amount of EC lately.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Nice post. I honestly had no idea people had trouble coming by EC until I started seeing people ask in zonechat.

I've found that just by Exchanging and/or vendoring loot I end up with over a million credits by CMDR. More if I get lucky with drops.

One other point: check your food items! I played for months before realizing that some food items are rare and very desirable for Tribble crafting. (Though prices change...time was Romulan Ale was fetching 40-70K on the Exchange, but it seems to be dropping a lot more frequently now and is worth only a few thousand. On the other hand, I lucked into two Quadrotriticale drops in a single mission, and got $170k apiece for 'em.)

But crafting is where the money is, or at least it was a few weeks ago; I made 12 mil in one day crafting and selling on the Exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
You have to be careful and check with the vendors before posting on the exchange as some "people" continuously post drastically lower than the going rate as a type of "game."

Don't get caught up trying to underbid these "people" when the vendor would have given you more EC for the items.

Also these "people" will sometimes suddenly just post a bundle of items drastically below the going rate. I have seen "people" in the chat box talking about "crashing the exchange." Don't get upset, just buy their bundles for cheap as you can always resell them for a lot more EC after these "people" knock it off for the night.

"people"
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I added one to the list....hopefully not the last.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
You have to be careful and check with the vendors before posting on the exchange as some "people" continuously post drastically lower than the going rate as a type of "game."

Don't get caught up trying to underbid these "people" when the vendor would have given you more EC for the items.

Also these "people" will sometimes suddenly just post a bundle of items drastically below the going rate. I have seen "people" in the chat box talking about "crashing the exchange." Don't get upset, just buy their bundles for cheap as you can always resell them for a lot more EC after these "people" knock it off for the night.

"people"
I never understood why some people post stuff on the Exchange for less than they could get at a vendor. You'd figure it wouldn't be worth the time or effort. I guess now I know.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
One more thing.

When you check prices on the Exchange, do not leave the quality set to "Any Quality." There is a long-standing bug that seems to crop up with Common items. Set the quality specifically to Common.

If you want to see an example of this, go to the Exchange. Leave it set to Any and search for Romulan Ale. Note the # of hits and the lowest price. Now change the quality to Common and re-do the search. You will find WAY more hits, and MUCH lower prices.

The bug's been brought up on the forums before, and I know I've submitted a bug report, but no idea if/when it will be fixed, so be aware.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
I never understood why some people post stuff on the Exchange for less than they could get at a vendor. You'd figure it wouldn't be worth the time or effort. I guess now I know.
I think sometimes it's people just not bothering to check. But yeah, that gaming goes on too, unfortunately.

Then again, the only reason we can get so much for some of these things is because there's no money sink in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
One of the easiest ways to earn EC is to play PvP. Each PvP match generally earns me 15k to 25k. The next easiest way is to play DSE. Lots of drops to sell.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
One of the easiest ways to earn EC is to play PvP. Each PvP match generally earns me 15k to 25k. The next easiest way is to play DSE. Lots of drops to sell.
This. ^QFT^

PvP is a fast way to play against others, earn credits, and assert your alpha dominance. :p
Closed Thread