Lt. Commander
# 31
02-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Not everybody has an appropriate education to be able to spell correctly...

Many just can't be bothered...

And English as a second language is really tough, as many of our syntax rules completely baffle most Non-Americans.

(heh... many natural born resident's can't handle it either...)
Wait... Americans are the only ones who speak English? Well I guess everyone else must speak something like french... so for my English brothers (who know French and not English...)

Il échoue

(^See look, notice the foreign language in Italics... this is proper English... this sentence is not... it is conversational English in written form.)

Countries/non-sovereign countries (territories), other then the US, that speak English:

Antigua and Barbuda
American Samoa
Anguilla
Australia
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Cameroon
Canada
Cayman Islands
Christmas Islands
Dominica
Falkland Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
Fiji
Ghana
Gibraltar
Great Britain
Grenada
Guam
Guemsey
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Ireland
Isle of Mann
Jamaica
Jersey
Jordan
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Liberia
Malawi
Malta
Marshal Islands
Mauritius
Montserrat
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Niue
Norfolk Ilsand
Northern Marina Island
Pakistan
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Pitcaim Islands
Puerto Rico
Rwanda
Saint Helena
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sudan
Swaziland
Tanzania
The Bahamas
The Gambia
Tokelau
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
Tuvalu
Uganda
US Virgin Islands
Vanuatu
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Wait...your not a native english speaker........and you have the stars and bars as yer avatar?

Being from the south sir......this is an insult on so many levels......
The only people I know from the south...... Larry the Cable Guy,Jeff Foxworthy and Bubba J.

.....you really want to go there?
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSARGuy
I really wish there were two different servers. One for NORTH AMERICA and one for everyone else. Seriously.
Yes, it would be a good idea to segregate that way. I mean, all that atricious spelling of those North Americans.

It's better if we German, Danish, Swedes, Fins and other non Americans cooperate with the UK and Australia to ensure we write in the real English language.

You know, the one where it's colour and not color, for example.

Mustrum "I am the true Grammar Nazi - German + English-Writing" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD
Countries/non-sovereign countries (territories), other then the US, that speak English:
Other thAn, other THAN the U.S.

THEN is for tense. That was then, this is now. If you use it wrong, then you fail.

Why are SO MANY people screwing this up lately?

Better than, greater than, less than...
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-15-2011, 07:56 AM
What a dumb thread. Lock this please.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
What a dumb thread. Lock this please.
Satellite has acquired target lock.

Nuke it from orbit, I say.

(Though the OP actually didn't seem to mean players, just the NPC/UI texts. Yet... he uses a strange form of English to articulate that...)
Lt. Commander
# 37
Programmers are normally good a math and less talented at grammar. Nonetheless, from the professional point of view you are right. Someone should review the text before release. The only typo i found in the new episode is "has went", should be "has gone", that's a typical slip of the pen. It happens to all MMOs so no biggie.
Lt. Commander
# 38
This thread...it........makes......my brain.....bleed.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Yes, it would be a good idea to segregate that way. I mean, all that atricious spelling of those North Americans.

It's better if we German, Danish, Swedes, Fins and other non Americans cooperate with the UK and Australia to ensure we write in the real English language.

You know, the one where it's colour and not color, for example.

Mustrum "I am the true Grammar Nazi - German + English-Writing" Ridcully
Technically us American's codified the language first.. so um... we standardized it first so we are right! :-p (No saying we made the first attempt...

Bullokar thought it would be awesome to screw up our spellings by spelling English in French, and combined with Lily's "A Shorte Introduction of Grammar" in which he applied Latin concepts to English grammar further confusing the issue...

Puttenham continued to make the problem worse by neglecting the language actually spoken by the country, and tried to create a 'pure' English... by pure he means throwing more French spellings and words in.

Samuel Johnson did create the first dictionary that would become Standard in England until the Oxford (which I will concede is the definitive of British English AND American English.). However his dictionary was brief and heavily criticized by his contemporaries.

Webster, and American, managed to most fully codify and standardize spelling of the English language, which would not be surpassed until the Oxford. So... we American's were the first to not half ass the standardization of the language so our spelling is the real spelling :-p

(While everything above is based on facts, I slanted it slightly pro-American as mainly a joke. Johnson's work would be vital to the creation of both Webster's and the Oxford. American English is merely the natural continuation of the vowel shift. So take this in the sense of the jest it was meant.)
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasos
Other thAn, other THAN the U.S.

THEN is for tense. That was then, this is now. If you use it wrong, then you fail.

Why are SO MANY people screwing this up lately?

Better than, greater than, less than...
You ever consider I was just speed typing and didn't proof? Sorry I did not draft my forum posts. However attacking grammar in a post talking about countries that speak English, and make light jest at certain peoples ignorance.... -applaud- you miss the point.

Here let me help you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD
Wait... (Remove)Americans are the only ones who speak English? Well I guess everyone else must be speaking something like French. This is for my English brothers (who know French and not English.):

Il échoue

(^See look, notice the foreign language in Italics; this is proper English, this sentence is not. It is conversational English in written form.)

Countries and non-sovereign countries (territories), other than the US, that speak English:
Closed Thread