Lt. Commander
# 21
02-15-2011, 06:06 AM
I would like a Hareem of Orion dancers.

I like to ride too.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Minor lore nitpick: Argo was also the name of the shuttle, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-15-2011, 06:16 AM
You can lead a horse to STO, but you can't make it fire quantum torpedoes. So, I guess that's a no.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2011, 06:53 AM
I think a horse would be cool for exploring planets where there's no combat, but I'd rather have a different pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValeriusCato View Post
Well really the game's most glaring omission is the lack of a house cat. You should be able to play with him like Data did and train him like in Black and White. There already is a feline supplement random drop so I feel cheated. After that we should remind the devs that Picard played a flute, Data the violin, Riker the trombone, and Harry Kim the clarinet.
Totally agree! I'd love to be able to have a cat live on my ship, so it can follow me around when I'm on my bridge. I'd love a dog too like Porthos.

Harry Kim also played the saxophone
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy_cc View Post
I think a horse would be cool for exploring planets where there's no combat, but I'd rather have a different pet.
Why would you want to have a horse for planets exploring. i tought that was the main reason why shuttles were made. Please no horses.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2011, 08:16 AM
*Blinks*

Environmentally restricted, like on the Holodeck, or on some vacation planet with a high horsedung tolerance perhaps.

Galloping horses in the general environment kinda spoils the futuristic feeling? Might add some tall ships on the Holodeck while at it, for that salty diversion. Arrrr.

---
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2011, 08:45 AM
There were people kicking, screaming and throwing their toys out the pram to get the most silly and despisable thing ever encountered in Star Trek, and they succeeded. Because there was apparently a scene during which one might have seen half of a certain species for a few seconds. Therefore people concluded these darn bi-pedal tribbles, those walking carpets, those wookies of star trek also known as Caitians were the center of the universe and the most important thing to ever be added to the game, no matter how silly and superfluous if not even detrimental to the game's atmosphere the rest of the playerbase considered it (believe it or not, the majority of people is not here to watch female humanoid double D cats running around in shirts and skirts).

Kirk and Picard's horses got (a lot) more on-screen time than those cursed furballs so people just have to scream "it's canon!" etc. loud and long enough and voilą: playable horse race in the c-store in no time. And quite frankly, it would not even be any more silly than the whole cat-lover campaign.

(For the record: I am not a proponent of this idea).
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Of course!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
The thing is, there are any number of situations in which horses, vehicles, and other ridable mounts are perfectly acceptable and cool in Star Trek.

Where they SHOULD be:
1. The Holodeck
2. On the surface of alien worlds
a. Horses on pre-industrial worlds
b. Cars, etc. on pre-warp worlds
c. High-tech vehicles on post-warp worlds.

Where they SHOULD NOT be:
1. In your inventory
2. Seen being ridden through ESD or Qu'Onos
3. Anywhere on your ship but in the Holodeck

If we follow these guidelines, then there is no reason to *not* include them. They belong here, in the proper places. They are part of Star Trek.

I mean, good heavens! Can you not see an Exploration mission in which we are on the surface of a pre-warp world, under cover, riding around in the alien equivalent of a Model T? If you can't then you aren't stretching your imagination anywhere near far enough.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocuous9
I mean, good heavens! Can you not see an Exploration mission in which we are on the surface of a pre-warp world, under cover, riding around in the alien equivalent of a Model T? If you can't then you aren't stretching your imagination anywhere near far enough.
The nice thing about Star Trek and the holodeck/going in disguise to pre-warp culture is it provides huge opportunities to break out of the stereotypical "sci-fi" box and into something different.

Though as was said, it definitely has to be integrated properly so it makes sense but there's no reason we couldn't see all kinds of interesting things or people.

Personally I hope someday to bump into Moriarty on the holodeck someday and hope to have "era appropriate costumes" to match.