Lt. Commander
# 1 mining for minerals
02-15-2011, 03:46 AM
hi this is just an idea what if when we get the fleet bases we could mine planets to get are minerals and partical traces for crafting in stead of having to scan for them tell me you views
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the corps can have the minerals and isk rolling in. EVE is that way, this is STO.

/kicks into pit
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Eve Isn't the only MMO that uses mining you know. As far as a logistics thing goes, it makes a sort of sense that a fleet base would have some form of supply line available in order to build new station parts, or help to resupply starships. The only thing I am not sure of though is if such a micromanagement setup would fit in with the casual ideas that Cryptic is trying to put forward.

With that said I would not be against some form of resource gathering that helps with the things up to and including building starships (another point that is uncertain because what are the advantages to a player fleet built starship vs one I can get in ESD?)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2011, 07:29 AM
it was just a thought because in star trek amada you had to mine for resouces
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisfaf View Post
it was just a thought because in star trek amada you had to mine for resouces
In Armada, you ran the entire Federation, so of course mining was part of it. However in STO, you are a Starfleet captain. Try to remember that.

Starfleet does not control mining operations. That's an activity for the civilian government of the Federation to oversee. There are no valid counter-arguments, and "I think mining is cool so STO should have it" doesn't count.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2011, 08:02 AM
If they ever bring in mining/harvesting of planets, it should in NO way be tied to owning a SB.
As in eve that would leave the independents out of the loop. There is no reason a solo ship shouldn't be able to mine and sell to whatever station they wanted for the best price.

Im all for mining of planets if its even possible, which i highly doubt, but it should start as and remain something a independent or solo players can do just as well as a Fleet without a penalty for not owning a Private SB. lets face it, how many independent SB have you ever seen in Star Trek?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentTyler View Post
Im all for mining of planets if its even possible, which i highly doubt, but it should start as and remain something a independent or solo players can do just as well as a Fleet without a penalty for not owning a Private SB. lets face it, how many independent SB have you ever seen in Star Trek?
I could get behind mining, if and only if one was not permitted to be part of a main faction like Starfleet or the KDF and thus did not have access to their missions, starships or equipment. Mining is not the activity of a military/peacekeeping/exploratory organisation.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I'd support this if they could make it fun. It would be a nice alternative to the current endgame choices.
Earth & Beyond and EvE had great mining gameplay. STO could make a truly 'Trek version, perhaps with some minigame elements.

The more options at endgame, the better!