Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 shield penetration impossible
02-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Why is it near enough impossible to drop some peoples shields now but yet mine go down easily with buffs and full power
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-15-2011, 05:41 AM
What buffs and pwoers were you using? What powers and buffs where they using? What kind of weapons and buffs do you use for your attack? Were you stunned, tractored or hit by a subnucleonic beam before or during the attack? How many people attacked you, or how many allies targeted your target at the same time?



The maximum shield resistance attainble is 75 %. That means you inflict only 1/4 the normal damage.
An additional damage mitigation factor can be defense. Your effective to-hit chance is
95 % + Accuracy Modifiers (each weapon applies its own accuracy where applicable) - Defense. Minimum 25 %.

When hunting other Escorts in my Escort, I often see my Beam Overload 3 doing nothing at all - I simply missed them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-15-2011, 05:53 AM
in addition skills such as tac team now cause shields to redistribute faster increasing the amount of damage required to breach the side you fire at. If you are not redistributing shields at all they will be lost on one side faster.

Also skills such as charged particle burst and tachyon beam attack the shields directly and are not effected by shield resistance, if these are added to spike damage you will see your shields diminished far more quicky.

Of course an snb will remove all current buffs and increase cool down timers resulting in zero resists on shields allowing raw damage to rip through them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy18 View Post
Why is it near enough impossible to drop some peoples shields now but yet mine go down easily with buffs and full power
Elusive - passive character trait that adds 10% defense
Emergency Power to Shields 3 + Transfer Shield Strength 2 combo - Really adds to your shields damage resistance
Tactical team - fast-auto-redistributes shields. Combined with the above combo it acts a bit like RSP, only it includes kinetic damage.
Speed - really does add to the overall defense
Aegis equipment - in combination with speed it's really useful
Sci-team - shield heal
Field Generator Mk XI - Increases your shields by 35%
Shield battery - Gives a quick boost to shield power
Redistibuting shields - Really really does increase shield lastability
Remodulate Shield Frequency - Increases shield damage resistance among other things.
Extend Shields - if the caster has power to shields, this team ability offers tremendous shield damage resistance.
Subspace field modulator - A device which adds to you defenses and can be stacked with other SFM's. Either use all at once or stagger them.
Putting power to shields - Increases shield recharge and damage resistance.
Fully specced for your ship type (not just class) - increases both hull and shields.
Turning your ship so they're attacking a different shield face.

Some of these abilities can be cast on team members, which when combined with their own buffs makes them rather impervious except to very heavy focused fire DPS and/or sci-debuffs. Heck, even with sci debuffs (like SNB), a decent cruiser should still have enough abilities to fall back on (unless he/she is hit with everything at once).


As for downing a shield, there's the obvious DPS buffs and weapons, which I won't bother mentioning. Other abilties include:-
Accurate - character trait which increases accuracy by 10%.
Slow or hold abilties - like tractor beam and eject warp plasma. If you're stationary and don't have the elusive trait, your defense will be -15% (not including hull damage resists)
Target shield subsystems - Only really useful against escorts, since cruisers will generally enough buffs to either repair it or render it useless.
Charged Particle Burst - A high level fully specced CPB will reduce your shields to virtually nothing, especially an escorts.
Subnucleonic Beam - wipes away buffs, increases ability cooldown (including weapon cooldown)
Tachyon Beam - Drains shields
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alendiak
*snipping good summary of relevant effets*
Slow or hold abilties - like tractor beam and eject warp plasma. If you're stationary and don't have the elusive trait, your defense will be -15% (not including hull damage resists)
s
Defense and Hull Resistance are not "related" There are basically 3 protective values in the game:
  • Shield Resistance. Only affects the damage to your shields. (not bleedhtrough damage, but also any damage that reduced your shields to 0 and the remaining part being applied to hull.
  • Hull Resistance. Only affects the damage to your hull.
  • Defense. (Affects how likely you are hit, or how hard criticals hit you. (It affects by the formula Accurancy - Defense = Hit Chance. Base Accuracy is 95 %. Never goes below 25 %, and hit chances above 100 % turn into critical hit severity.)

Your worst case scenario is the attacker has 75 % shield resistance, 75 % hull resistance and enough defense to bring down your hit-chance to 25 %.
You basically need a little more then 16 times the firepower compared to a target without resistance with 100 % hit chance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
When hunting other Escorts in my Escort, I often see my Beam Overload 3 doing nothing at all - I simply missed them.
(soft chuckle) still didn't keep me from eventually dying to you though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
(soft chuckle) still didn't keep fron eventually dying to you though.
It's all hax.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It's all hax.
lol. Of course it is. :p
Though I thinkmit was luck that I lasted as long as I did.
First pvp I played in months and I had a blast regardless of my outcome.
Thanks for the fun.

I look like an bright minded "hax" capable sort of person, don't I?
Hell even my microwave confuses me at times.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I asked someone to make a keybind for me that binds Distribute Shields and Fire All Weapons to my space bar and I constantly just mash the space bar. It increased my survivability exponentially.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I asked someone to make a keybind for me that binds Distribute Shields and Fire All Weapons to my space bar and I constantly just mash the space bar. It increased my survivability exponentially.
Same here - only I did the bind myself
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM.